Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

s a r c a s m i c :allears:
:keke:
Although the following two threads exist:

Perhaps it would be interesting to know what people start (and when) before the conclusion is reached or text read.
Or we could trash talk people for what they spend $ on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Example post i guess...

began Infinate Jest - David Foster Wallace

began Travels in Hyperreality - Umberto Eco

started somewhere in the middle of The Idot - Fydo

purchased Liberation: Being the Adventures of the Slick Six After the Collapse of the United States of America - Brian Slattery

breasts

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Dacap posted:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
Because I had a giftcard and this was just too ridiculous to pass up.
lol. now i know what i'm getting my sister for her birthday

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

The Adama posted:

I just started Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

Yarbald posted:

i just bought this today...
It's a great book. However Stephenson from Cryptonomicon thru to his latest is on a whole new set of levels.

Reading Infinite Jest David Wallace like right now. Still early stages but absolutely captivated by all characters so far. Mostly enjoying a thoroughly original writing style that i couldn't try to explain without coming across as a total tosser. I'm really into it at this early stage though..

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

thegloaming posted:

And so begins my foray into Infinite Jest.
please keep us posted :)

this one's in my started pile too

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

thegloaming posted:

I'm on page 32 so far. I really like it. It's like a mother bird chewed up Gravity's Rainbow and fed it to me in a slightly more digestible and contemporary sludge. It's still challenging, though. I thought it'd be a walk in the park until I got to the part where Hal meets the "professional conversationalist" who I guess is just his father in some elaborate disguise? Maybe?

I also recently bought Ulysses, Mason & Dixon, On Writing, The Sound and the Fury, On the Road, and Lost in the Funhouse.

EDIT: Hit 50 before calling it a night. Yeah, it's definitely getting more intricate, and I like that.
I'm 160ish. Had a ball with this so far. I know people throw this word around in book reviews a lot, however i really think Wallace has got his head around good pacing.
Really enjoyed some tangent explaining the rise and fall of video calls. << Pretty sure that won't spoil anything

Also, wtf is with the "year of the depend adult undergarment" headers? I'm sure it will all make sense in due course but it certainly is deliciously unconventional. I have theories about the authors reasons for this although I think i'll shut my mouth until I've read more.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Just bought Umberto Eco's Turning Back the Clock: Hot Wars and Media Populism and The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana. Also The Broom of the System by David Foster Wallace.

While I should have read Turning Back the Clock when it came out I suppose it's better late than never.

Just started Chesterton's The Club of Queer Trades.

robomechatronsaurus fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 1, 2009

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

wickles posted:

..the problem many seem to have with remembering who's who when it comes to Russian names (the 2 names per person issue).
Hopefully this doesn't mean you give up on it. Could you try printing out a character list from, say, the Cancer Ward's wiki and sticking it inside the front cover of your book?

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Been on an Umberto Eco fest recently. Last night I finished Hot Wars and Media Populism and sunk my teeth into The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana. So far the discussion of memory and identity are making for an interesting story, as well as being an excellent device for summing up Yambo's (central character's) life and influences using fiction for autobiographical purposes (i think). Seems this book could have simply been Eco compiling "Quotes and Cartoons that influened me", but is instead shaping up to be an intriguing slab of fiction rich in intertextuality.

So far, in parts, about half of what is said & thought by Yambo is from other texts, I am unaware of the origin of 90% of these references. The coloured plates are exquisite, especially considering the price of the book. Blah blah blah my eyes are frothing.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

It's a 32 hour audiobook :ohdear:

This is a fun read. I still prefer the Baroque Cycle much more for it's prose. The ideas here are more modern and philosophical/technological instead of human nature/economy. All Stephensen is worth it imo. He is a good educator, and constructs his teachings with such eloquence in this latest novel i couldn't help but to giggle. As long as you have a vague knowledge of some maths, religion, philosophy you'll enjoy it. But you still end up feeling like - "Really Neal? Is that it? Such a beautiful artist with othing new to say? I mean you could see it coming of course but it's still depressing to finish the book.
Just curious, why audiobook?

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

I fill up my daily commute with audiobooks, plus my ADD would never let me finish a thousand page book in less than a year. I really might need to go back and read the Baroque Cycle before I tackle this one, I don't really know how much of a followup/sequel it is.
Fair enough. Nah it doesn't follow on from the previous so you should be fine

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Cakebaker posted:

Unfortunately my English isn't the best and I find I need to look words up all the time so whenever I'm not around a computer I'm reading Singularity Sky by Charles Stross. I haven't gotten very far yet and while it's entertaining I find the characters a bit annoying.
I felt it had the potential but just wasn't really engaging enough. I gave up on it about half way through. This may have been because I had something better to read more than because it was particularly bad.
Meanwhile I thought Charles Stross' Accelerando was worth the read, but Halting State was rubbish. My friend and I have joked that Halting State must have been written by someone else and for children.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Busted out Europe Central by W.T. Vollmann. Only a hundred pages through. Rather than try and come up with some eloquent adjectives I'll just say it's really awesome and I'm totally loving it. I havn't read Vollmann before and it's interesting how he occasionally writes directly to the reader as author. For example he'll note that "I'm writing this in 2002".

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

just read Schopenhauer's Studies in Pessimism and Voltaire's Candide. These two critiques of optimism were incredibly enjoyable and cathartic experiences for my mind. I've never laughed so hard while also kinda wanting to take a shotgun to the face.

Also read Kafka's Metamorphosis. It made it's point but I found it was otherwise unremarkable. To be fair (I'm told) Kafka plays around a lot with the German language and most/all of this is lost in translation to English.

I'm waiting for Emotional Awareness: Overcoming the Obstacles to Psychological Balance and Compassion. This is the result of a conversation spanning years between Paul Ekman (responsible for the science that the show Lie to Me rapes) and the Dalai Llama (joke about China raping Tibet).
This could be hit or miss depending on how intelligent Ekman proves to be I suppose. Coming with this should be my long awaited Gil Elvgren: All His Glamorous American Pin-Ups. I hope this is allowed into Australia: where art better not be sexy or you're in big trouble mate.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

arvash posted:

I've just begun to read Idoru by William Gibson.
Slight derail, but I always liked the UK cover (when I read idoru in 2001). I remember enjoying All Tomorrows Parties etc. bit later. Definitely Gibson working through a peak that maybe ended on Pattern Recognition. I remember loving this but it was like 6 years ago so don't quote me on it. :3 Neuromancer is engaging and imo ispired as long as you read it while aware it was written in 1984!

Didn't rate Spook Country but whatever. Got the hard cover

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Spent yesterday arvo reading Chesterton's The Man Who Knew Too Much. Absolutely gorgeous, anyone who likes Sherlock Holmes would enjoy these episodes. A rich and exquisitely cultivated landscape of language.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Got Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse from the library the other day. I'm not too far into it but man is it good.
I'll probably get this. What translation do you have? Do you (or does anyone) know if any of the translations are especially noteworthy?

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

I'll look forward to it, cheers. In turn and on a similar subject, I found an old favourite book has been put online. Seeing the Way.

It has been years but I'll read it again by the looks. It can be hard to find in print

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science. This book has now been recommended to me by 3 people.

drat interesting so far, nice writing style. I'm having to re-evaluate all the neuroscience I never knew. I'd recommend it already to anyone interested in any facet of cognitive science.

• Locked thread