Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Tiborax posted:

To contribute, I just started Dune Messiah after finishing the first book. I can already tell that it's not as good as Dune, but it's still going to be good. And it's pretty short to boot, which is good.

Still pondering if I should buy these (good thing there's a seperate thread for them),but we'll see.

This week I bought Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: and Other Things I've Learned by Alan Alda and Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself.
Read the first few pages of the first one and it's pretty amusing so far.

Looking forward to next week when I am in spain and have time to read them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Decided to take a break from fiction/fantasy mid Forty Signs of Rain and reread some of the Dürrenmatt books I own (German versions) starting with "Der Auftrag" (The Assignment) next one will be Suspicion.

I've been wondering if anyone ever reads his book outside of the German language areas (Austria, Germany, Switzerland) where he is/was one of the best Drama/Satire authors.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Started reading Sixty Days and Counting the 3rd book of the Science in the Capital series by Kim Stanley Robinson.
Really liking the characters in this series and the usual science and pseudoscience bits all Robinson books have. The writing and the side stories remind me of his Mars books, which I liked a lot.

Might try Three Californias or The Years of Rice and Salt next, anyone got any feedback on those?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Re-watched my The Pacific BluRay so decided to give the books it's based on a go.
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge
Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie

Hope I'll like them as much as Matterhorn. Anyone read all 3 and got some input on that one?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Already read Night Watch, Day Watch and Twilight Watch so started on the 4th book of The Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko, The Last Watch.

Enjoyed the books so far they're always good for a surprise.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Picked up The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. It's the first stand-alone book of the The First Law series. Hope I'll enjoy it as much as I did the trilogy.

Hedrigall posted:

I am reading 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson (about a third of the way in now), and every page is blowing me away. The hard science, the imaginative future megastructures, the prose (dialogue and descriptions both shine), the characterisation, the incorporation of classical music into the story, everything is utterly amazing. I feel like the entire input of science fiction I read over the last few years was just a primer for this book. It's probably going to be my favourite book of the year, and perhaps in my top 5 of all time.

You might want to check out the Science in the Capital books from him too. Frank Vanderwal is my favorite book character.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
A friend told me about new books from Kim Stanley Robinson so I started reading Icehenge last night, really liking the story so far. I wonder how much will be based on the Mars books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I wanted to buy Tarry Flynn by Patrick Kavanagh but turns out it's not in the Euro-zone Amazon.com Kindle shop (only in the .ch where I'd have to move my entire account for one book) and it'd be a huge pain to actually legally acquire it.
Has anyone read it and is it actually good enough to bother buying in a more complicated way than 1 Click ?

• Locked thread