Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Jekub posted:

I just picked up The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie for no reason other than it it sounds fun, I've been re-reading old books for to long and they didn't have the two books I actually went in looking for.

I hope you'll tell me your thoughts. I haven't met a lot of people who read it and I'm eager to see if I'm retarded in my thoughts on it.

I just picked up The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. It is a terrible book and I am an rear end in a top hat for having bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

debasuuuh posted:

Can I jump in and say I didn't much enjoy it? I still finished all three, though, so I don't know what that says about me.

I'm still reading aforementioned terrible book, so I'm sure I share whatever affliction plagues you.

I was rather fond of the series, but felt Abercrombie might have gone the exact opposite way of most fantasy writers. On the one hand, he's not part of the race to recreate medieval England that so many other writers are a part of, but the rest of his world doesn't seem that well-fleshed. His characters are fun, but he has a habit of forgetting that he has multiple ones. He has a lot of fun dialogue, a lot of neat combat and some cool little quirks...but he has no idea how to end his stories.

He's putting out a standalone book in the same universe rather soon, so we'll hopefully see what that's about.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

nate fisher posted:

I really enjoyed the first 3 books a lot, but I found A Feast of Crows to be a let down.

You ain't alone in that sentiment.

I've just begun Shaman's Crossing, by Robin Hobb, who wrote the Assassin Trilogy. So far, it seems to have a lot in common with that book: misunderstood people, spoiled and evil noblemen, recapping of the character's life, creeping doom, etc.

I hope it picks up.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Zubumafoo posted:

Just wondering, have you read the Tawny Man and Liveship Traders trilogies from her also? I liked the the trilogy that Shaman's Crossing was in, I forget the name of it, but I don't think it was as strong as her others.

I just started Gears of the City by Felix Gilman. Not sure how popular his first novel, Thunderer, was around here, I've never heard it mentioned. I enjoyed it though. About 150 pages into Gears and am thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I was considering it, but I had about enough of FitzChivalry and his complete and utter impotence. He was admirably stoic and things didn't always go his way, no doubt, but man that kid just could not win.

I got both Gears and Thunderer from Comic-Con. For some reason, I lost interest in Thunderer. Is Gears any more gripping?

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Jekub posted:

I got Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold for fathers day, good pick from the wife that. It's off to a cracking start so far, after wading through the dense, clumsy mess that was Gardens of the Moon (book one of Malazan book of the Fallen, even the name is awkward) it has so far been a breath of fresh air.

I just got this from England recently and have been going into it pretty savagely. I'm highly pleased by it, so far. It's actually really nice to have a straightforward plot that focuses on characters instead of masturbating to how HUGE THE WORLD IS, AND THE SOCIO-POLITICAL COMMENTARY UNNGNNGGHGHGGHGhhh...

But that may be exaggerating.

quote:

The Summoner by Gail Z. Martin

Please tell me what you think of this, because it struck me as a unique concept with a really lame plot (obviously innocent prince raises army of the dead to take back his kingdom from his brother, Evil McBabykiller.)

I just finished Acacia by David Anthony Durham, which seems to be following the usual trend of dispossessed aristocracy with political intrigue as written by a dude with three names that George R.R. Martin started. And it was basically A Game of Thrones lite, save that the author really, really stretched to make his characters get naked a often as possible (including a scene in which the ragtag rebel army realizes the only way to kill the rampaging hellbeasts set upon them by the tyrants is to get nude). Very good read for those that thought AGoT had too much story and too deep characters.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
In a push to read most of the authors in a certain publishing group, I've just picked up The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert V.S. Redick, who proudly upholds the tradition of epic fantasies written by dudes with two middle initials.

On the cover, it's about a city-sized ship that is used to transport a tarboy who can speak any language, a girl who is meant to be a treaty bride to the empire's rivals, her valet and some weird wizard who, so far, seems only to be able to turn into a mink and come out of a clock. Also, sea pixies and talking rats for those of you who can't get enough of Brian Jacques.

It's good, so far, and the setting is fairly original, but I'm not sure what's special about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
I just started Swiftly, by Adam Roberts, an account of what happened during the French and English war after the islands encountered in Gulliver's Travels were made known to the rest of the world.

It's alright, but a bit dry.

• Locked thread