Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Convexed posted:

I bought that book and then made the mistake of looking up the author on Wikipedia. Now I can't face reading it. :negative:

You've already given the mad bastard money, the damage is done! But Enders Game's alright (at least, I enjoyed it when I read it as a teenager). It was written long before he went openly loopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'd read Agapé Agape first just because it's so short. Also, as a reminder to any Gaddis fans, a book of his letters is meant to come out in the new year, which I'm really looking forward to. Exactly the kind of thing he railed against in the Recognitions but hey ho.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I just started a book of Evelyn Waugh's letters, and did you know that he was the most detestable old-school-tie, anti-semitic, classist gently caress out there? Oh you did?
Did you know that the Times Literary Supplement when reviewing his first book constantly referred to him as "Miss Waugh"?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Started on Herman Hesse's The Glass Bead Game and... is this sci-fi? This feels like sci-fi. Like Starship Troopers if you replace shooting people with hyper-chess.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Owned by a book... just savage.
I'd say don't persevere, even though it owns. It doesn't drastically change styles 50 pages in and neither will your tastes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I walked past a second hand book stall and walked away with Robert Bloch's Psycho because I've seen it cited in a couple of essays. This is the ending of the third chapter:

quote:

Mary started to scream, and then the curtains parted further and a hand appeared, holding a butcher's knife. It was the knife that, a moment later, cut off her scream.
And her head.

So the book owns.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

In turn I will have to assume that you too are joking.
:v: can't be here to hold your hand all the time.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I just picked up Faulkner's The Hamlet and I'm wondering how long this guy can not burn a barn.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

barkingclam posted:

Are you going to read the whole Snopes trilogy or just the one?

I've just now found out it was a trilogy, so I have no opinion on the matter. It depends on how much I enjoy it, I guess.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I believe the film industry found out the exact same thing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Moby Dick is really good, and twitter is terrible.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

ulvir posted:

Finally got around to start reading Moby Dick. I did not expect to read homoerotic undertones, but more power to Ishmael.

Herman Mellville being a big old gay is like, the foremost critical opinion on him, if you exclude "he wrote long books that I refuse to read."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

To be honest you should watch the film for itself, I don't think my reading informed my enjoyment of the film at all.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Dads, traditionally, love to read about murder and oppression.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

People think that Dune is poo poo ever since book... 3? and that 2 wasn't that good. I wouldn't know having never read them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I believe recommended pro-strat for getting into Pratchett is to leap into Guards Guards. The first two books are pretty much rewritten Conan stories with jokes and far from his best.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

Some of the rants are pretty terrible too. Like the guy that suggests that the government should keep oil companies from drawing too much oil in order to give the competition a chance.

And barely a paragraph later he complains that there was no fuel at the gas station for his car.

Can you see the point Rand is making by this? Do you think the book would perform its job as propaganda better if it hid the punchline 3 chapters later?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The idea is pretty much sound? Is that it? Are you sure fb?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A good haul from the local second-hand shop. I reckon a harsh winter killed a couple of lit-fans. There are currently 3 separate copies of The Magus if anyone wants them. I'm pretty excited for The Conformist, had no idea that was originally a book. And I picked up Libra because, though I'm not a big fan of Delillo, I am a big fan of the assassination of JFK. There's also an advanced copy of a book I've never heard of by a person I've never heard of, which looks to be all about sex and Christ. Speaking of, it didn't come across in the photo but the priest on that cover of that Updike has a head made out of naked women.
This post is dedicated to Christopher Cumo and Michael Apted.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You do have to remember a lot of characters, who all have 3 names.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

If you ever get lost flip to the backcover and read the basics of the plot, that'll serve you for about 4 hundred pages.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

At work you should be working!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Been going round new-to-me second hand bookshops and picked up a whole bunch of stuff including a Machado de Assis put out by the OUP which I'm really looking forward to.

• Locked thread