Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I myself have finally found Deep Black by Andy McNab (took me ages to find this...) and have started it. Very good read, as it's a typical McNab. Also got Brute Force when I got Deep Black, as my next read; since I didn't want to go any further into his series without reading the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Square Pair posted:

"Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell

Author's account of his June 2005 mission in Afghanistan along with 3 other SEAL team members. It goes badly and the result is the single largest loss of SEAL life in history.

Excellent writing and descriptions along with brutally honest personal opinions. It's one of those books I'm having a hard time putting down.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Enjoy, this is one of the best war memoirs out there!

Ah, so how would you say it compares to say, Bravo Two Zero? You two have gotten me interested, now! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just got Exit Wound by Andy McNab a couple of days ago, which I've been racing through. Bit annoying though, since as soon as I was nearing the end of Brute Force (previous book in the series) and was looking out for Exit Wound, all the shops that I saw had it before I was after it either stopped stocking it, or closed down completely. Fingers-crossed that I get Zero Hour without a hitch! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just gotten and have started Zero Hour by Andy McNab. After that, seeing as I'd have finished the Nick Stone series, I reckon I'll finally start Dune, which was given to me by my dad a little while ago, when he found it again, in the shed loft.

Anyone think I should get excited for it? (Dune, that is) I've heard some bad things about the later books in the series, but not about the original, I don't think.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Finally started Dune, after finishing off Andy McNab's Nick Stone series. Not far in, but it's quite interesting so far. I'll definately keep a lookout for the other books in the series, that Frank Herbert (I think that was the name of the original author, right?) did!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just got Tom Clancy's Against All Enemies. Hopefully it'll turn out well, and I'm gonna read it with cautious optimism.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just got Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, pretty good condition, (just the spine's got 'creases', really, showing that it's been read a few times) $2AUS each. Gonna have to dig into those, as soon as I finish the original! (about 3/4 through)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just started Dune Messiah, as I finished reading the original Dune just yesterday. Looking forward to it!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

commish posted:

I just started reading the original Dune. My first time!

:cool::respek::cool: Mine too! I hope you either have the following two books already, or don't have too much difficulty in finding them, like I did for a while! (until just a couple of days before I finished the original, thankfully - so I was able to go straight into the second book)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

drunkendonuts posted:

Just bought two,

The Sign, by Raymond Khoury. I read his "The Last Templar" and enjoyed it. He's apparently released a sequel, but it's been so long since I read Templar that I think it needs a re-read before I buy the follow up.

The Road to Jerusalem, by Jan Guillou, a historical fiction about Templars, Sweden and the Crusades. Caught my eye, hope it keeps my attention.

Ah, tell me how The Sign is! I've read all his other ones (TLT as you mentioned, plus Sanctuary I think it was called, as well as Templar Salvation; the sequel to TLT. Not bad, but I don't think it was quite as good as I remember TLT to be, although it's been a fair while since I read it) and have been keeping an eye out for it, and just want to know whether it'd be worth amping up my search for it or not.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just started Children of Dune last night, after finishing Dune Messiah the other day. Looking good so far!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just bought Dead Centre by Andy McNab last night, and am looking forward to starting it! Anyone else read it, yet? How does it compare to the others?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Salty. posted:

Got these at the local library's seasonal sale.

Ah, nice! Wish I had God Emperor of Dune! You should definately read Dune at some stage soon; I just finished up the first and second books in the series, and am currently reading the third. Very good series, indeed

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

50 pages into The Storm Of War by Andrew Roberts:

It's fascinating and engagingly written, and I'm learning so much I never knew (my knowledge of 20th century history goes as far as year 10 at high school; I only studied ancient history after that — and even then, the state curriculum here when I went through high-school was heavily focused on Australia only for its 20th century history lessons).

The book is, however, light on illustrations (mainly just has photos of the leaders involved) and definitions, so I'm complementing the narrative with this fat tome that I picked up for 25% of RRP when Borders was dying:

drat, I should've done the same, when Borders spat the dummy, (although I suppose I can't complain; I did get a cople of Andy McNabs, after all! :D) since my WW2 education would be pretty on par with what yours was, plus what I found out in some books and online, for things that were nagging me, and specific stuff that I was interested in/wanted to learn more about. So, how much is the Australian RRP? Worth getting, or should I wait for a sale?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

For the visual guide, RRP was $49.95 so I got it for about $12.50. Pretty drat good for a large-format hardcover of nearly 400 pages.

drat, that is good! Might have to see if I can find it discounted though; $50 is a fair bit of money, and my entire family seems to think spending much more than $10 for a book is a rip-off, despite all of which being heavy readers. Ah well, at least I know what to keep an eye out for! Thanks

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright well, I've recently started reading The Amber Room by Steve Berry because it was given to me by a relative a little while ago. Seems fairly good so far; sort of getting a "The Last Templar" vibe from it - although some of the things/tradecraft in it from the two professional killers/treasure hunters isn't exactly McNab-grade stuff, sadly.

Anyway, I've just found Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen Donaldson and got it on the cheap, seeing as it was recommended to myself and my dad. So yeah, what do you all think of it? should I bump it up on my to-read list, or is the general opinion among goon ranks that it's nothing to get excited about? (same goes for the rest of the series, I guess. Are the first few the only ones worth reading, like Dune, or are they all of the same level of quality?)

Thanks guys

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

wheatpuppy posted:

Honestly Donaldson (Thomas Covenant in particular) is pretty polarizing. There are those who love the series and those who hate it. If you enjoy a true anti-hero you may like it. If you're the type who can't stand the protagonist doing horrible things, you'd be better to steer clear altogether. Personally I read the first trilogy and then marked it off my to-do list.

Alright then, sounds like it could be good; anti-heroes generally do tend to make situations more interesting! I'll be sure to give it a read soon

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Seeing as I recently finished reading Stephen Donaldson's Lord Foul's Bane, I've decided to continue the first chronicles of Thomas Covenant by getting The Illearth War as well as The Power That Preserves. Should be good!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yggdrassil posted:

Just began reading Dune! After the recommendations i got from TBB i bought it and i'll enjoy it at work today, and probably throughout the next week :)

Nice! I read through the original/first trilogy the other month, too. Definitely good stuff! Based on absolutely no knowledge on your tastes and preferences, I'll just go ahead and say that you should find it quite enjoyable! :D

As to what I'm reading, I've just started The Illearth War by Stephen Donaldson, after finishing the first book in the trilogy. Pretty good so far!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just started The Power That Preserves, which is the third book in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant last night, right after finishing The Illearth War. (Posted a whole wall on text about that in the 'What have you just finished?' thread, if anyone wanted to see my thoughts and questions on it)

Certainly good so far; just reached the point where Covenant finds the girl being terrified by a snake. Why oh why hasn't he sought medical attention? I'd be surprised if he isn't in a serious condition after this book :(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've recently bought the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson, and have started The Wounded Land. And wow, I certainly didn't expect the Land to have been ravaged quite this much, in this way! I'm not very far in, but it's pretty certain that just about everyone's forgotten about EarthPower, have effectively been brainwashed to believe that aliantha is poisonous, and whatever it is with them using their blood to produce crops! Hopefully things start to look up by the end of this chronicles - I'd hate to imagine what the third one will be like, if not!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just started reading the second book in the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever; The One Tree by Stephen Donaldson. Definitely interesting, and I think that the fact that they're leaving the Land to journey across the ocean could be a nice breath of fresh air. Although I'm not bored of the Land, I definitely think it'll be good to read about Covenant's journey through completely new areas, that'll likely be a good deal different from what Covenant (and the readers too, by extension) is used to.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to continuing it!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

In the interest of fairness I'm going to buy The Hunt for Atlantis at Audible and see if I like it. Hope the narrator is good.

Tell me if it's good! I've seen Andy McDermott (that's you, isn't it Payndz? Can't remember, but I believe that's it) books around, but haven't really heard about if I'd like them or not - and anyone who has Deadpool as their avatar must have good taste! :D

EDIT: Alternatively/additionally, can anyone tell me what authors' novels are similar to Payndz's series? Just so I can get a better feel for what his novels are like.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 24, 2012

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Payndz posted:

Yep, that's me.

They're archaeology/mythology-themed action adventure, so the same genre as James Rollins, Matthew Reilly, Chris Kuzneski, Scott Mariani, Steve Berry and Clive Cussler. "Indiana Jones meets James Bond"-type stuff, basically. If that sounds like your thing, and you accept going in that you won't find anything resembling high art (I'm more about exploding helicopters and cheesy post-kill wisecracks), you'll hopefully enjoy them.

Ah, I'm familiar with both Matthew Reilly and Clive Cussler. I take it you're referring to the Jack West Jr. series? ('Seven Ancient Wonders', etc. that is) If so, that's definitely a plus, as I enjoyed those a fair bit. I didn't really get into his other series, sadly, as that seemed to just be a little too wacky and shallow plot-wise, for my liking. (Although the archaeology/mythology element to the Jack West series made things a lot more interesting for those books)

Also, do you by any chance do the one thing I found irritating in the one book (so far, anyway) I've bought of Clive Cussler's; which is to write himself into the book, and give the protagonists a major piece of information, when they came to a dead end. That grated on me a fair bit, if I'm honest. (I've got no issue with the author making a cameo or something, but telling the protagonist/s what to do next - and in such a blatant way - isn't really what I buy books to read)

But yeah, I may have to check out your series, soon - especially if they fit into what I've written above! (and sorry for the slight wall-of-text, there! :D)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Payndz posted:

I've only ever read one Clive Cussler book, and when I got to the point where the heroes were stranded in the middle of the Pacific with no food or water and a boat appeared out of nowhere piloted by a man who introduced himself by saying "Hello, I'm Clive Cussler", I decided that was how things would stay. :wtc:

Oh wow, so he's really made a habit of it? Geez. Well, I suppose it's good news that you were equally shocked by that as I was! I may need to take him off the to-buy list, and put you onto it, I'm thinking..

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Finally got my copy of Runes of the Earth by Stephen Donaldson from Amazon, (finally decided to buy it online after not finding it at local bookstores, and due to my sister getting me both Fatal Revenant and Against All Things Ending for Christmas, which I didn't want to skip a book to be able to read) and it seems pretty good so far! Definitely liking the returning races from the First Chronicles, like the Ramen and the ur-viles (well, they WERE in the Second Chronicles, but they didn't feature much in it directly, and you assume they got killed off by Foul for going against him.

Also, after finishing the second chronicles for it a while back, I'm not really sure why the user :siren:a kitten:siren: (Sorry, just thought I'd use the sirens to grab his attention, if he's still posting in this thread) stopped after the second chronicles/trilogy. Since well, Covenant does kind of make it clear to Linden+the reader that it's most certainly not over yet; that Foul's just depleted his power on trying to destroy Covenant, and that he will be back again. Plus the third chronicles does seem to be worth reading, if you enjoyed the second chronicles - I'll try to remember to post my impressions of it in the 'What did you just finish?' thread when I'm done with it, I guess.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

a kitten posted:

The sirens worked. Especially since on the off chance I think about nameserching myself I just end up in PYF or in the catte thread in YOSPOS.

The main reason I haven't read the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covanent is because I read the first 6 books back around 1990 or so, and they didn't come out 'til 14 years later and I just kind of moved on in my reading interests since then. Maybe I'll give them a look though, at least once I plow through the stacks of books that I got over the holidays.

e: that was a whole different thread anyway!

Ah, well that's fair enough then. But yeah, if you ever do have a shortage of books to read, I'd definitely suggest giving the Last Chronicles a go - I'm maybe halfway through Runes of the Earth now, and it's certainly a good read; so I'd say if you enjoyed the first two chronicles, it likely won't be a bad move! (and it's good to see that my sirens weren't in vain! :D)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just bought God Emperor of Dune for $23, and a few days ago a hardcover copy of Heretics of Dune for $1, so that evens the prices out, right? :v: Regardless, I think I'm gonna look forward to continuing the Dune series, after I finish the series I'm currently reading. (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant)

So, how do these two compare to the three before them? Dune Messiah was quite short and basically just set the scene for Children of Dune, so they'll probably be a bit better than that one at least, (well, I'm not saying DM was bad, I just wish it were longer) but how are they compared to the original Dune and CoD? Thanks

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I just started Against All Things Ending by Stephen Donaldson, as I recently finished Fatal Revenant. Seems good so far, although I haven't yet read a lot of it. Should be interesting to see how it pans out though, due to the way the previous book finished.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just started reading God Emperor of Dune. I think my main thing I'm wondering about it is...how on earth did the 'Fish Speakers' get that name? Since I mean, at this point they just seem like an all-female legion of Fremen tasked with guarding Leto, like the Feydakiin (sp?) guarded Paul/Muad'Dib. So yeah, have I missed something in regards to how they managed to get that name?

Anyway, although I'm not all that far in yet, I'm enjoying getting back into this series after a period reading other books.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I'm just starting Heretics of Dune now. I think it will certainly be an interesting read, especially given how God Emperor of Dune wrapped up!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ironsights posted:

Just started listening to Rainbow Six. Never read a Tom Clancy book before, so I just sort of picked one at random from Audible.

Ah, Rainbow Six! I really need to re-read that one, as it's probably my favourite Clancy novel. If you enjoy it, be sure to check out Without Remorse, as that one explores the origins of Clark, and has a similar amount of action in it, in true John Clark/Kelly fashion.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just got Andy McNab's Silencer at the airport then. Best thing: I got it for free due to getting a voucher from the airline. worst thing: I only got the voucher due to having to go through huge delays.

Still, it's pretty good thus far!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
My copy of Stephen Donaldson's A Dark and Hungry God Arises just arrived. It's been a while since I last read a 'Gap' book, but it looks like it'll be good: less "interaction" between Morn and Angus/Nick, and more about the inter-relations between the heads of UMC and UMCP, as well as delving a little more into Milos Taverner's past/personality. Could be a good read I have on my hands! I certainly hope there's more interaction with the Amnion too, who started to come into play, last book.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ezzum posted:

Just started The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin. If it keeps up its current pace, it's probably going to be one of my favorite Sci-fi books of all time. If there is to be made an argument that Sci-fi is really serious literature, Le Guin is the one that should be making it.

Oh, and the current train of conversation seems apropos, 'cause she's great at writing male characters.

Huh, just looked The Dispossessed up then, and seems interesting. So, what books do you think it's similar to/compare it to, just so I can get a better grasp on what it's like? (As well as other sci-fi books too, like how would you compare it with Dune, for example?)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Le Guin is brilliant but she's Le Guin, not anybody else. I realize that's not much help. Maybe Margaret Atwood, maybe Vonnegut in that they're both very philosophical writers but they couldn't have more disparate styles.

Nah, that makes sense. And well, I'd say it's a pro, even - at least it's not like some authors' works, where they're effectively carbon-copies of each other. I think I'll need to look into this further...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I caved in and bought The Dispossessed by Le Guin as well, so I can read it sooner rather than later. I'll have to see how it goes, once it gets here!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Stavrogin posted:

All of you currently reading this book are in for a treat-- it's The Best Book.

Huzzah, my copy of The Dispossessed finally arrived today!

Albeit a bit late and slightly worse-for-wear than advertised, but can't have everything

Now, time to see what all the fuss is about! :dance:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I just bought King Leopold's Ghost for my dad, to give to him on Father's Day. Does this make me a bad person? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've just been given the series of The Witcher books by Andrzej Sapkowski (I think? It's four books I believe - they might not all be in one series I suppose) by my sister and her fiancee. So, what's the goon opinion on these, if there is one? Since the only thing I really know about the series' universe is the first segment of the original PC RPG of the same name (didn't finish it; damned swamp area) which seemed pretty good.

• Locked thread