Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Regenesis by CJ Cherryh, the sequel to Cyteen - so far it's more Cyteen, no surprises, no gimmicks, just flatly more Cyteen as if that book had never ended. Which is good! I like more Cyteen. I am a little disappointed it's not jumping ahead a hundred years to dig into what the plan for shaping societies is about, but hey, I do like Ari 2 and Justin and so on.

Also, as I got 'em for xmas, A Matter of Oaths - it's about an amnesiac starship pilot being ostracized by all the other pilots, and the conspiracy that'll come after him, supposedly. I like the characters so far! Not often you get an older lady as a main character, and while the amnesia thing is old as hell, I like it.

The Dragon Never Sleeps - This book is Warhammer 40k in another jacket. There's a lot of powerful conservative space marines and powerful starships, there's an alien menace that embodies chaos, and there are people caught in the midst of it. I really, really like this, as while it's 40k-esque it's still its own beast, and the imagery the author writes is compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. I started a few days ago and I'm 148 pages in already! I've tried to read this book before on three separate occasions and bounced off because of the sheer difficulty of parsing everything (especially ship stuff) - but hey. This time everything's clicking and while I'm still going through that period where I have to look at the chart of a ship's parts to understand things, the rest of the book is coming together. I like Jack (a good natured bloke), I like Stephen, I'm curious about Dillon's bad attitude(?), and above all I love the humor.

So - hopefully, hopefully I'll be able to post in the What did you just finish? thread soon!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

$1 each at goodwill, look mostly unread. I heard these were good even if you know dick-all about wh40k

:yeah:

They're good pulpy sci-fi / military sci-fi stuff, very readable. I knew nothing about Warhammer before I picked up the Founding, and I still know very little about it, but I'll root for Gaunt.

• Locked thread