Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Started up Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, a book I've been trying to read for a long time. The first chapter is one of the most haunting I've read in a long time. Looks like a keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Adonis Gunther posted:

Started reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan recently, very interesting book, makes you appreciate reality more.

Cosmos should be required reading for anyone with the slightest interest in science. Reading it as an enthralled 15-year-old, I found a whole new universe revealing itself.

The downside is that it's a science book, and like all science books it reflects the knowledge of its time. It helps to know what parts of it are dated/sensationalized, but in this Internet age it shouldn't be a problem.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm still fairly early in Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake, the first book in the Gormenghast series, which was recommended to me when I went looking for fantasy without Tolkien or Howard influences. So far it seems to be justifying the high praise it was presented with. It's written in a very rich, musty prose full of delightfully repulsive and grim imagery - grimagery, if you will - so I'm taking it much slower than I usually read fiction and just soaking in the mood. It's goth as gently caress.

Be sure to follow up with Gormenghast and Titus Alone. It gets worse in the best way possible.

Also, the opening paragraph of Titus Groan is one of my favorites in any book. It perfectly establishes the bleak, "ponderous architectural quality" of both the books and the eponymous castle.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

I picked up a copy of Moonheart by Charles de Lint, on the basis of a) it's not part of a series, b) it doesn't have gratuitous silly names, and c) the cover looks evocative. Other than that I have 0 de Lint experience, does anyone recommend him?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Reading Les croisades vues par les arabes (The Crusades through Arab Eyes) by Amin Maalouf. A fascinating and refreshing spin on the crusades.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Picked up Crocodile by Dan Wylie. I think I'm in love with Reaktion's biology-meets-art-and-culture Animal series. A touch on the pricey side, but one every few months or something won't hurt...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Just began (and finished) The Enchanted Castle by Edith Nesbit. Awesome underrated fantasy book.

• Locked thread