Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Double post. Still reading the same book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rabbit Hill posted:

The first Female Author Who Can Write Male Characters Well who comes to mind is Pat Barker, but there are tons of them.

On a more general note, Margaret Atwood and A.S. Byatt are fantastic.
This. I just finished Oryx and Crake and it is magnificent. And a well written male character

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just started Day of the Flood.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Major Isoor posted:

I just bought King Leopold's Ghost for my dad, to give to him on Father's Day. Does this make me a bad person? :ohdear:

Had not heard of this one. My grandparents were missionaries in Congo up until the election/assassination of Lumumba (remind me to sue Barbara Kingsolver) and I would love to learn more of what helped make Congo the poo poo fest it is. Added to the list, thanks!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Madd Addam by Margaret Atwood.

Yes I read fiction slowly, because reading and writing is so much a part of my day job I have to unplug at night

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just started Gravity's Rainbow

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

iron_weasel posted:

I am not an experienced Pynchon reader. I have read his more recent stuff and it has left me a little cold, but I haven't read his more classic works. However, I have read They Crying of Lot 49 and that made a massive impression on me. I found it the most terrifying book I have ever read. As the main character becomes more isolated and worried she is losing her mind it must have been picking at my own internal fears.

Please enjoy it!

Valis had a similar effect on me

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just started Jingo, and am almost finished with Roadtrip Rwanda, which is utterly fantastic (who would imagine a book about that place could be so damned funny?) and leaves me wanting to know more about the history of central Africa. This is also from personal motivations--my family got caught up in the Congo Crisis. They don't talk about it much. Consequently, I will be reading King Leopold's Ghost next.

Gravity's Rainbow will resume once the hell part of my winter term schedule gets sorted.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

DeadBlack posted:

I'm about 50 pages into Gravity's Rainbow. The prose has some loving absurd imagery that can be hilarious but can also get a bit out of hand and incomprehensible. I am enjoying it so far and I think I have to just get used to the fact that some paragraphs will not be delivering much meaning to me on this read.

You have to just go with it. Realize that Pynchon is creating a lot of mood and scenery. Just give in to the beautiful use of language--his writing is really spectacular. Also, especially early on, Slothrop's getting drugged pretty well so none of that poo poo is supposed to make linear sense. The narrative does snap a little more into focus once you get into Chapter 2. I'm only 320 pages in and now totally captivated. I've heard the focus gets fuzzy again near the end though so.

edit: oh hey, thread didn't parse according to posts I've read, sorry about replying to such an old post.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 29, 2016

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Annual United Way book sale, with hardcovers at $2 and soft covers at $1. The loot:

-The Kauffman book is on complexity at different scales and how it is loving amazing. Probably best read with strong weed.
-Cary Fagan's someone I know IRL so it was fun to email him to brag about the amazing deal I got :)
-Kerouac needs no introduction.
-My wife is a big Montreal Canadiens fan and this copy is in better shape than the one she already had.

I also picked up a cookbook.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just started Hyperion, one of my Secret Santa gifts. It started on a somewhat awkward foot, spending way too much time explaining in great detail JUST HOW ALIEN EVERYTHING IS that it put me off, thinking it was going to be one of those scifi books. But then it got into the priest's tale and I have to admit I am hooked; the story is captivating, well written, and the mystery that is just now hinted at makes it hard to put the book down. I seem to have lost most of this afternoon...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Was at my favourite bookstore in Kelowna recently and got the following

The Dubliners was dirt cheap, given that terrible fake pulp fiction cover. I had never heard of that Dick either but it was similarly cheap and how bad could it be?

The Coates fits into a growing interest I have, given current events, into what really comprises the "black experience" today and how can we possibly solve this gaping wound in the US

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Another trip to my favourite bookstore leaves me under an ever growing pile of must reads...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Robot Wendigo posted:

Not a bad haul. What's first on the list?

Debating between This Census-Taker and Norse Mythology, as I already am reading a social commentary and would like to avoid overdosing on that immediately, and have no fun light books on the go.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 24, 2018

• Locked thread