Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I've just started reading Dracula, and I'm about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way through.

Obviously vampire mythology is inescapable and this book set up so much of it; I'm trying to read it from the perspective of a Victorian reader new to the whole thing. It must have been amazingly cool to be reading this for the first time back in the day, and have things move from the mystery of Dracula's castle, to the boat that docks itself in a storm, to Lucy's sleepwalking, and so on.

It's still a really, really entertaining read and some of the imagery is actually very effective and spooky. I guess you could say I'm enjoying it so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Dracula has become a total bore two-thirds of the way through, so before I dive back in and get it finished with energy and caring, I've started Redshirts by John Scalzi. About thirty pages in. I kind of hope it becomes more than just "this is a Star Trek joke, remember Star Trek?".

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I picked up The Martian because of all the hype behind it, and because it's going to be a movie at the end of the year. I'm about a hundred pages in, and it's living up to all the critical love. It's like the purest distillation of "exciting page-turner" ever.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I've begun working my way through Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay. So far so good. I don't really know the goon consensus about him, but I dig his stuff. I've read a couple of his already (Ysabel - his YA novel - and Tigana) and I really, thoroughly enjoyed them Kay seems obsessed with the idea of memory and knowledge in all the stories I've read so far - which makes sense since he's ripping from history - and this one is turning out to be similar. I like that aspect of his writing, so I'm looking forward to seeing this adventure to the end.

I've also picked up Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley, his first post-Scott Pilgrim output. I really, really, really liked Scott Pilgrim but I feel like if I re-read it, I'd be annoyed by it. This story seems a little less adorkable and reference-filled and more grownup. It'll probably take less than a day to get through.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I found out about China Mieville from lurking these forums back in the day and hearing about how neato his books can be. I tried starting Perdido Street Station but I couldn't find the time to get through it while finishing school, etc. Now that I have a lot more free time, I started The City & The City and I'm about 1/3 of the way through. It's got the same problem I found with Perdido, which is that the beginning is molasses-slow. I'm getting through it, though. It's decent so far and the concept is definitely super-unique and interesting. I like the spooky idea that there's some unseen, always watching, everyone-in-town-is-scared-of-it force deep in the background who have a lot of policing power and I hope it becomes a way bigger deal by the end of the story.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I started The Sound and the Fury last night and I'm already halfway through. It's a darn good read.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

stereobreadsticks posted:

I recently returned from a trip to Southeast Asia and while I was there I discovered that there are a ton of cool English language used bookstores in the area, especially in Chiang Mai, Thailand but I also spent time in bookstores in Bangkok as well as in Laos, Malaysia and Singapore. I focused almost entirely on getting books about or from the region that you don't often see outside of it and came back with quite a haul including a couple of things that seem pretty rare based on google and amazon searches.

Anthology of ASEAN Literatures: Epics of the Philippines. Published in 1983 in Manila as part of a series highlighting the traditional oral and written literature of ASEAN member states.
The Glass Palace Chronicle of the Kings of Myanmar. Published in Yangon in 2008 in a limited run of 1000 copies to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the translation.
Letters from Thailand by Botan
Jungle Book: Thailand's Politics, Moral Panic, and Plunder, 1996-2008 by Chang Noi
History of Timor-Leste by Frederic B. Durand
The River's Tale: A Year on the Mekong by Edward A. Gargan. This one's actually a bootleg copy, which personally I'm fine with.
Forest Recollections: Wandering Monks in Twentieth-Century Thailand by Kamala Tiyavanich
Si Phaendin (Four Reigns) by Kukrit Pramoj
Got Singapore: Bits & Pieces from a Dot in the World by Richard Lim
Max Havelaar by Multatuli
Travels in Upper Laos and Siam, with an Account of the Chinese Haw Invasion and Puan Resistance by P. Neis
History of Lan Na by Sarassawadee Ongsakul
The River of Lost Footsteps: Histories of Burma by Thant Myint-U. Another bootleg copy.
Durians are Not the Only Fruit by Wong Yoon Wah

That's an impressive haul for sure. Any insight into the book reading/buying culture while you were there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I just started goon-favorite "The Black Company". I don't know what to make of it so far.

• Locked thread