Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soylon
Jan 29, 2015

I recently started No god but God by Reza Aslan to complement my recent readings about the history of the modern Middle East. What better way to help understand a region than to learn a bit more about its religions, I asked myself. Anyway, it's taught me more about pre-Islamic Arabia than I ever learned or bothered to learn in high school or college so that's a plus, and the events following Muhammad's death and the struggles to define the role of the Caliph are absolutely fascinating, especially if you're even slightly familiar with how it all turned out when you start reading.

Next on the list is The Forever War by New York Times foreign correspondent Dexter Filkins about semi-recent to recent conflicts with Islamic extremism, from the rise of the Taliban to the war in Iraq and its aftermath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Starting Days of Fire by Peter Baker. Prologue has already made me realize there is so much I don't know about the Bush administration.

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

You might also be interested in A History of God by Karen Armstrong, though fyi I own it but have not gotten around to reading it so I couldn't tell you if it was worthwhile.

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Just bought:

Just started:

The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson

A story about the Great Migration, the movement of over 6 million African Americans out of the Jim Crow South and into the North and the West following World War I and ending at the peak of the Civil Rights Era - told through the words of those who lived it and backed by thousands of historical records.

• Locked thread