Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Just started "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland" by Dianna Wynne Jones. It's great so far; a send-up of fantasy novel cliches and conventions, in the form of a tour guide. (Example: the front has a "map of fantasyland" that's just a map of Europe turned upside down, with a bunch of names like "isle of dragons" written on and all the roads and country borders taken out.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

I've been really enjoying reading Wilkie Collins on my Kindle.

He's a contemporary and friend of Dickens, and his novels were essentially the very first mystery novels -- before Doyle, before Poe, and even before Dicken's _Mystery of Edwin Drood_; at the time, they were referred to as "sensation novels" because the term 'mysteries" didn't exist yet. They're incredibly intelligent, sophisticated books, with multiple narrators writing from different viewpoints, intelligence, mystery, suspense, the whole works.

The first one I read was "The Moonstone," about the theft of a cursed Diamond, looted from India by a corrupt British officer; the one I'm working on now is "The Woman in White." Both are excellent, highly recommended, and free on the Kindle.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

DirtyRobot posted:

Not free, but you should check out Dan Simmons' Drood, which is pretty fun if you're a fan of Dickens and Collins.

yeah, I keep getting that one recommended to me, but I'm hesitant, mostly because I've studiously avoided reading The Mystery of Edwin Drood as I know it would drive me up the wall for the rest of my life not "knowing" whodunit.

That said, once I work my way through Collins' big four (Woman in White, Moonstone, Armadale, and No Name) I'll probably give up and read Drood, since I'm a fan of Simmons, Dickens, and Wee Willie Wilkie too.

• Locked thread