Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I recently started tearing through Nick Hawkaway's The Gone-Away World and man it loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I just bought The Prone Gunman by Jean-Patrick Manchette, Brownsville by Neil Kleid and Jake Allen, You Are There by Jacques Tardi and Jean-Claude Forest, The Ministry of Fear by Graham Greene, Berlin: City of Smoke by Jason Lutes, and Among the Thugs by Bill Buford.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

schoenfelder posted:

I read the German translation (Berlin: Bleierne Stadt; literally "City of Lead") which, among other things, does a really good job at putting the Berlin dialect in writing. This is a really great graphic novel, I loved it!

Yeah, the English version also attempts to portray the Berlin dialect, "your" is written as "y'r" for example and many other words are similarly condensed. I don't speak German, let alone have any familiarity with the specific dialect, so I don't know how accurate this English version of it is, but it's interesting.

Incidentally there are actually two volumes, in English the first one is called City of Stone, and City of Smoke is the second (and each of these is actually a collection of 8 episodes which were first published as individual comics). I'm not sure which one the German "lead" one is equivilent to, though it's odd that they changed it.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 21, 2010

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I just got Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower (very excited about this one), The Confessions of Nat Turner by William Styron, No Logo by Naomi Klein, The She-Devil in the Mirror by Horacio Castellanos Moya, The City out my Window by Matteo Pericoli, Game Change by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin, and The Nearest Exit by Olen Steinhauer.

Unfortunately I won't have time to read anything other than business books for the next week :( I'm currently reading Inspired: How to Create Products that Customers Love by Marty Cagan which is good and well written for what it is but I'd rather be reading the above!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

robomechatronsaurus posted:

Busted out Europe Central by W.T. Vollmann. Only a hundred pages through. Rather than try and come up with some eloquent adjectives I'll just say it's really awesome and I'm totally loving it. I havn't read Vollmann before and it's interesting how he occasionally writes directly to the reader as author. For example he'll note that "I'm writing this in 2002".

That book is amazing. Need to read it again. Be sure to listen to Shostakovich while you read it!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just started Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes, which is being touted as one of the best Vietnam War novels to come along in a very long while.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Matterhorn is shaping up to be really great so far, but before I read it my favorite Vietnam novel was The 13th Valley by John DelVecchio. It's out of print now but well worth tracking down, IMO. Extraordinarily well written and a lot of interesting, different perspectives.

The Quiet American is a drat good novel as well though, of course, not quite the same thing!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just got

very excited!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Facial Fracture posted:

I hope you post what you thought of this when you're finished with it. I guess any reading of it is a bit overshadowed by the famous bad review.

What's the famous bad review?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Facial Fracture posted:

Clearly not as famous as I said it was. Here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3594613/Someone-needs-to-have-a-word-with-Amis.html

Thanks.

Probably is famous in literary circles in the UK, but Amis isn't really as well known over here. Anyway I've seen a number of both positive and negative reviews of Yellow Dog so far, so I don't think my experience will be particularly overshadowed by anything :)

edit: and that review is barely a review. most of it is just Fischer talking about himself and complaining about the UK publishing industry and I don't think he actually addressed why he didn't like the book in any real way.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 26, 2010

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah it seems more like he was just trying to get in a bunch of digs at Andrew Wiley and kind of made a half rear end attempt to disguise it as a review of Yellow Dog because that's what he was really supposed to be doing that week.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

gigawhite posted:

I imagine that it would be tough to review a book when you can't mention anything that is in it. Of course a lot of it does seem personally motivated and Fischer trying to gently caress over what the publishers were trying to do with an embargo. Not a great review by any means but I can understand his frustration.

I can certainly understand being frustrated by embargoes but there's no need to focus that frustration on this one agent as though the guy is somehow personally responsible for what is a longstanding industry-wide practice, especially when he's throwing in a number of other random digs at the guy.

I mean who knows maybe Wiley really is just an incredibly lovely agent, I'm not trying to defend the guy it just seemed like a really obnoxious way to write a review.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ShutteredIn posted:

and

And I'll eventually get to Vol. 3 too. I've got a lot of Marias to read.

These look really good!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Currently reading John LeCarre's The Night Manager. One of his more recent and lesser known books, it's also the first I've read of his. So far, I like it quite a bit. It's rather slow and reflective, but mostly well written. It's very, very English and proud of it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just about to start Richard Price's Clockers which looks excellent.

I've only read one other book by him (Bloodbrothers which was very good, especially considering how young he was when he wrote it) but of course I'm a fan of a lot of his TV writing (such as The Wire).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

geeves posted:

I just picked up Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and John le'Carre's Smiley's People, Our Game and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.

I read a few chapters of Larsson's and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and so far pretty good.

The Spy Who Came In from the Cold is next on my list after Clockers - I already read the first 15 pages or so and it was drat good. I read The Night Manager by him a little while ago, it wasn't that great though to be honest.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Happyfacecrazy posted:

I started it dismorning

I think that's my new favorite word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

7 y.o. bitch posted:

The second half is a little bit harder, but yeah, it's a pretty easy read, maybe even easier than Dubliners, but not quite as easy as Chamber Music.

For me personally I would say the latter half of Portrait is probably a much easier read if you grew up Catholic and that if you didn't, you might want to read up on it a bit first.

• Locked thread