Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Panas posted:

Starship Troopers

Anyone else have the overriding urge to join the military after reading that?

Finished this a little while ago and was not surprised to find it was about 1000x better than the movie. In fact, it still sticks out as one of my favorite books of recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just bought the first four ASOIAF books, having only read the first one a couple years ago. Im hoping by the time I finish all of them the next one will be out :/

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just bought:

and

Man I'm pumped. Anyone have any feedback on either of these books?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Any body read this? Yay or nay?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Pfirti86 posted:

I read it about a month ago. I really enjoyed it, especially the last part. It starts a little slow, but really picks up by the fourth part.

Welp, just got a few dozen pages in and I'm wondering something, is it alright if I know hardly anything about some of the literature being referenced and don't consider myself very knowledgeable about literature in general?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

planets in space posted:

I just began Gardens of the Moon, the first book in the Malazan series, by Steven Erikson. Here's hopin' for a good one.

Stick with this one and finish it, and even if you don't like it I would definitely recommend trying the second in the series (Chain of Dogs), the background info in GotM proves pretty helpful for enjoying the series.

I just started Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Only a couple chapters in, anyone have any feedback on this book/series?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just started Ian M. Bank's Use of Weapons because of the thread here in BB.
Only a few chapters in and I'm worried I'm going to get lost.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

something_clever posted:

Simultaneously started and still deciding which one to stick with:

Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance. Supposedly a fantasy classic. Don't know what to make of the first 50 pages really. There is a lot of spells and fast moving plot so far, but nothing really stands out. I'm real picky regarding fantasy, so I don't know if I really will like this.

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane. The 1st novel of the Kenzie-Gennaro crime series, which spawned the surprisingly great "Gone, Baby, Gone" Hollywood movie, based on one of the successive books in the series. I previously read a 100 pages or so but somehow put it down. Decided to give it another chance.

Though I have plenty of books to read, I also ordered 2666 by Roberto Bolaņo (english translation, no danish translation yet, which I would have preferred).
I hope it won't kill me with undecipherable and complex Spanish to English prose :ohdear: , and The Reversal by Michael Connelly.

I finished 2666 a few months ago and even though I'm a native English speaker, I'll give my 2 cents and just say I thought the prose was pretty easy to read. Also, its a great loving book.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Homemaster posted:

Did anyone else go to town with the ebook sales on Amazon? I picked up The Prague Cemetary (a book I know I will like) as well as random political books about why Obama is an apathetic commie. All around 2-4 bucks. Should be good.

I looked around a bit but couldn't find anything that looked too interesting. Past few days though were pretty good I just started "Under the Dome" by Steven King and it was only 2 bucks. Pretty good so far. For anyone who read it already, does King do a decent job ending it or does it fall flat?

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 30, 2012

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again by DFW. I liked the essay he wrote on tennis that some goon linked in the essay thread a lot so I picked it up cheap online. Only a quarter of the way in. Not bad, nothing I've liked as much as his tennis essay but dude seemed like a pretty interesting guy. Haven't read any of his other stuff but will probably end up reading some of his shorter stuff. I'd like to try Infinite Jest but I'm not sure if it would actually be enjoyable or if it's just a book hipsters like to say they read as a badge of honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Enemy at the Gates . Went on sale for kindle today, pretty loving interesting so far.

• Locked thread