Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
I WHITE-KNIGHT FOR MY SOCIOPATHS! OH GOD SUH PLEASE PUT YOUR BALLS IN MY MOUTH!
I like to read a few books simultaneously. I started Grave Peril - Dresden Files 3 and Why Fantasy Football Matters. Two drastically different books that provide a good break from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
Got a $100 gift card to Amazon (thanks credit card points!) so I bought a few books last night.

I Could Tell You But Then You Would Have To Be Destroyed By Me and Blank Spots on the Map by Trevor Paglen. These books talk about the super secret world that the government hides from us. I Could Tell You is a collection of patches of secret underground military divisions. Blank Spots is about government installations and projects that "don't exist." Both seem very interesting, looking forward to reading them.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I've heard so much good poo poo about it, I had to pick it up. I read The Road something like 10 months ago. I'm reading No Country right now and flying through it.

God Save the Fan by Will Leitch. Deadspin is one of my favorite sites, so I've wanted to read this for a long time. Never been able to find it in stores.

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman. Don't know a ton about this, but there was a thread here not long ago about it being pretty good. It was 10 bucks, so I won't be broken up if its not fantastic.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I just finished Neverwhere and the Sandman series. I read Coraline awhile ago. Basically, I like everything I've read by Gaiman so far and this sounds like it should be great.

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
I finally started the Dexter series and I'm flying through. I'm about halfway through the second book and I've absolutely loved it so far.

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
I got John Dies At The End as an early Christmas gift from one of my students. It actually looks kind of entertaining. I understand it was some sort of internet thing before it was a book, I guess. I have high hopes, however.

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
Went to B&N with the gift cards I received for Christmas.

Got The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington, The Book of Lost Things by John Connelly, The Gangs of New York: An Informal History of the Underworld by Herbert Asbury, and War As They Knew It: Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and America in a Time of Unrest by Michael Rosenberg.

I've been on a sci-fi kick lately so I'm looking forward to getting a little history and sports mixed in.

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

I used to LOVE Harry Turtledove as a kid. I'm not entirely sure why though. Thinking back, I can't think of any of his stories that I really enjoyed all that much or anything interesting that came from his writing. I think the only one that I would recommend would be Guns of the South.

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
Just started Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. The story is about a society where your place is determined by what colors you can see. For instance, Greens are ranked higher than Reds and Greys are at the bottom. Very funny and interesting, so far.

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
Just started War As They Knew It. It's basically the history of the OSU vs. U of M rivalry and ties in with how hosed up the country was with Vietnam at the time. A couple chapters in and I'm completely hooked.

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
Just finished Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. I've never thought of him as a particularly good writer, but I always find his stories interesting. Some of the poo poo he thinks up is pretty neat, in my opinion, and this story was no different. Not the best writing, but the plot was enough to keep me engaged. One of the better Palahniuk books that I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
I just bought The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack and The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man both by Mark Hodder. They appear to be some kind of steampunk London stuff. I've never really been interested in steampunk, but something about these seemed very appealing. I'll be reading them soon.

• Locked thread