Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I've been reading through Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors which is a really, really awesome short story collection just oozing with Gaiman-ity.

I've also been reading Poppy Z. Brite's Wormwood which is disgustingly delicious. Borrowed it from a classmate after she gave a presentation on it.

Started A Game of Thrones, wondering how long it'll take to get through. Seems okay so far.

I've also been reading the short story collections Wastelands and The Living Dead, which were both edited by John Joseph Adams.

I'm going to pick up Jim Butcher's Storm Front later today, which I've heard decent things about.

Starting on War and Peace and Dune Messiah soon. Could I please read some weirder combinations of poo poo?

What's the consensus on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? The cover art is genius. Guessing I should read P&P first? :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Just started Gaiman's American Gods and bought a Sherlock Holmes collection (with illustrations!).

A Game of Thrones is going swimmingly.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Oh god I just bought the Complete Collection of Hemingway short stories.

Also, a probably lovely Brian Herbert Dune book on CD for $5.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Thanks to Border's loving weekly coupons I bought The Ecco Anthology of Contemporary American Short Fiction, which is extra-awesome because the stories were selected by Joyce Carol Oates.

I saw her speak this semester at IU and she was really quirky and awesome and funny.

This is the 4th or 5th short fiction anthology I've bought in the past three months. Gah.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I just picked up Steven Pressfield's The Afghan Campaign hardcover for $6 at Barnes & Noble. I heard he writes cool hist-fic, so I figured why not.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I've bought so many books since my last post it's embarrassing.

The ones I'll actually point out for goon points are
I Am Legend
I hate the loving movie and the cover on my copy is the Will Smith one, but it was $5 on clearance at Barnes & Noble, so why not.

His Dark Materials Trilogy
I'm researching children's fantasy, which is also the reason I just bought Chronicles of Narnia.

The Thrawn Trilogy because I'm feeling Star Wars-y.

Also, Children of Dune because I just finished Messiah and want to actually finish the series now.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Bought a ton of books over the weekend, including some really nice looking Hemingway hardcovers. Goodwill is my favorite place for books. I just finished Salinger's Catcher in the Rye and found Margaret Salinger's memoir Dream Catcher which sounds kinda interesting, even if I heard some of it isn't exactly true. That'll be on the shelf for awhile though, I have a huge list of stuff to get through first!

I just started reading a buncha stuff for school, mainly LeMay's The Searchers and Atwood's Oryx and Crake. I'm really excited for both!

Syrinxx posted:

Yes I know I'm late to the party.

You are? In all my Goodwill shopping this weekend I found ooold editions of It, Firestarter, and a nice new-looking hardcover of On Writing. Join the late party, I'll bring the disco ball.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

I just got Crime and Punishment today. Is it any good?

Ugh, shoulda went with The Idiot instead. You still have the receipt I hope??

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

WoG posted:

Oh, you should've waited -- no point reading that tired old nonsense when Crime & Punishment & Chupacabras (or something) will surely be out in a year or two.

Jesus, man, watch that poo poo. They're watching...

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Just finished Howard Sounes Dylan biography (fuckin' fantastic, by the way) and I've started on Gibson's Neuromancer. I'm going to dive into Stephenson's The Diamond Age right after, before hitting Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

Getting my Sciffy fill.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I've been blindly picking up Stephen King books from Goodwill every so often for the past six months, but for some reason I've been holding off on reading them until I've read Carrie. Well, I finally found and bought Carrie, so I'll probably be reading King books (among other things, natch) pretty steadily for the next five years.

Also found a hardcover copy of Atwood's The Blind Assassin. The only book of hers I've read is Oryx and Crake, which I loved, so I'm excited for this.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

hello clarice posted:

By story you mean sex, right?

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

Purple Rain Man posted:

I've been meaning to read this, and I haven't seen the movie either. Would you recommend the book first? Also, is The Road as good as everyone says? My mom (English teacher) has been trying to get me to read it for months.

I read the book first and I don't regret it at all. I would recommend that first. The movie is about as faithful as you can get in the time allotted, but the book has a couple things I enjoyed over the movie.

Both are great though!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I'm about halfway through Voltaire's Candide and I'm not sure what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't that it would be funny as hell.

I had zero idea what to expect either, just that it was suggested to me and it was 100s of years old. I laughed out loud several times, it's really really funny.

I just bought a fuckload of books (15+) from Goodwill yesterday so I won't list them all, but I found an old (mid-late 80s) copy of Fleming's The Man With the Golden Gun with an introduction by Anthony Burgess. <3

I've only read the first two Bond books, Casion Royale and Live and Let Die, so I've got quite a few more to read before I get to TMWTGG, but I'm super excited about it.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
^ I loving hated that book. :I

Tonight I sat down and read a little bit each of Sapkowski's The Last Wish, Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and Danielewski's House of Leaves.

I had an entertaining evening.

I'm playing The Witcher while reading The Last Wish. The prose is easily digestible and the universe Sapkowski's built off of Slavic folklore is pretty badass and reminds me of Howard and R.R. Martin.

Chabon is just blowing my mind with his paragraph-length sentences and well-thought out characterizations. Really excited for this one (also, I'm going to see him give a lecture in a few weeks, so eeeeek!).

I was nervous about House of Leaves because it was recommended to me by mainly goons and preteens, but the first thirty pages or so flew by and I dig the atmosphere a whole lot already.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
So, previously I had only read through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and stopped there. That was years ago though, so recently I read books 1-4 again, finishing Goblet last night, and now I'm starting on Order of the Phoenix. This is all new stuff to me, so that's exciting. :)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I just started James Dickey's Deliverance. The description in this book is loving beautiful, I'm absolutely loving it. The book actually makes me want to go take a hike and camp outdoors.

Of course, I haven't yet gotten to the part where they get attacked, so I'm assuming this is a passing urge.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I just started reading Wuthering Heights. I'm at chapter eight and the style of it has finally sunk it. I love all the stories in it, it's really enjoyable. I'm reading it for class, so I should have it finished by the end of the week!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I started two books this weekend, after realizing that reading one book at a time is pointless and wrong. They are A Storm of Swords by GRRM and McCarthy's Blood Meridian. Both are loving awesome so far. :) Been awhile since I've read either author, and both books start off with a bang. I almost feel like I need to read Ray Carver or someone else from the Hemingway tradition so I can rep both great American novel styles (Maybe I'll add a Hemingway novel... I've still gotta get through The Complete Short Stories, so that might work).

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

WoG posted:

Warlock, Oakley Hall. I read very few westerns, but this one's good enough to get a NYRB reprint and Pynchon's rave review. Like new, signed, trade pb for <$5? Thank you, amazon used.

This is a loving great book and I'm super jealous you got a signed copy, my god :O

The first part of Warlock is a typical Western, even ending in a corral battle, but the rest of the book is about Warlock (the town) post-corral battle, including a miner strike (in a Western, for christ's sake!). It's a tome of a book, but an absolutely fascinating read. You will change your mind about how you feel about each character as you read the entire thing. Just an awesome book. Bonus if you like Westerns at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I started Jack Kerouac's On the Road the other day. Why the gently caress did I not read this book a long time ago? It's marvelous so far and I'm only at part two!

• Locked thread