Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
debasuuuh
Jun 17, 2005

silly hats only

anathenema posted:

I hope you'll tell me your thoughts. I haven't met a lot of people who read it and I'm eager to see if I'm retarded in my thoughts on it.

Can I jump in and say I didn't much enjoy it? I still finished all three, though, so I don't know what that says about me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

debasuuuh
Jun 17, 2005

silly hats only

anathenema posted:

I'm still reading aforementioned terrible book, so I'm sure I share whatever affliction plagues you.

I was rather fond of the series, but felt Abercrombie might have gone the exact opposite way of most fantasy writers. On the one hand, he's not part of the race to recreate medieval England that so many other writers are a part of, but the rest of his world doesn't seem that well-fleshed. His characters are fun, but he has a habit of forgetting that he has multiple ones. He has a lot of fun dialogue, a lot of neat combat and some cool little quirks...but he has no idea how to end his stories.

He's putting out a standalone book in the same universe rather soon, so we'll hopefully see what that's about.

Eh, I guess I should've clarified: I didn't hate any one particular book (mostly I can't remember what happened in which one), but it's more of an overall feeling. Sure, parts of it were fun, I liked Glokta, and his is the first story where my eyes didn't glaze over at the descriptions of battles, but I have a lot of the same problems you do. ESPECIALLY the feeling I get that Abercrombie was beating you over the head with "This isn't like other fantasy novels! See? Bet you didn't expect that, HUH?" When it got to the point where even the characters themselves were commenting on it within the text ("'This never happens in the stories,' he thought") and he was doing fakeouts (knife vs. ring) it just got too obnoxious for me to let it slide.

• Locked thread