Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I just started reading Les Miserables, purely on a lark, and my god it is just about one of the most fantastic books I've ever read.

Up next is The Canterbury Tales. The original english version seems very difficult to get through, but the modern translation on the opposite pages is good and looks like it will be an enjoyable read. Looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Starting out on Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver. Slow start. I like his style of writing, and love some of his other books but am 100 pages in and wondering when it'll start getting interesting. So far it's meh.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Mustang posted:

I'd say stick with it, it's an awesome series. Are you any good at skimming? If I wasn't a good skimmer there's no way I would have ever gotten through the first book. Especially with his 2 page descriptions of the streets of London. I'd say at least read up to The King of the Vagabonds and see if you want to keep reading it. Jack Shaftoes parts are always awesome. Daniel Waterhouse's story will eventually get pretty interesting especially towards the middle and end.

Decius posted:

As Mustang said, stick with it at least until the Jack Shaftoe parts. Daniel Waterhouse's story makes much more sense and is much more enjoyable once you've finished Quicksilver, which makes it a very odd choice to put at the start of the series.

Ok, am about page 300, not a mention of Jack Shaftoe yet, but the storyline seems to have oddly matured and become much more enjoyable and involved. Even though, oddly enough, not a bit has changed with the writing style, etc. Anyhow, glad I didn't put it down and am beginning to get annoyed at having to stop and go to bed.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Just started Moby-Dick tonight. First chapter done, and I'm stunned at how much I think I already love this book. I mean, all he's talked about is the call of the sea, basically, but the language and the way it's written is enthralling.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Just picked up and started Mistborn by Sanderson. So far it's a pretty good read. Only other one of his I've read was the last Wheel of Time book, so he seems like a good, dependable author.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Picked up Game of Thrones by Harry Connolly. His second novel, and it shows, but it's still a good read. Comparing him to Jim Butcher at his second and Connolly is quite a lot better.

Also, picked up two by Brandon Sanderson, Way of Kings and The Well of Ascension. Haven't really gotten into either of those too much, but both look like they'll be good reads.

Ugh, I need to stop buying more books until I finish off a bunch more.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Hedrigall posted:

Ender's Game.

Also, no, that's not the big twist. There's a bigger one.

Also, read it but DON'T read the sequels.

Agreed, don't read the sequels. Read The Forever War afterwards. But not the sequels to it either.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I didn't find The Road boring. It's very subtle and sparse with it's prose, but I have a feeling that's simply how McCarthy writes normally (although comparing it to Blood Meridian, the only other one of his I've read so far, the difference is quite striking). The environment and struggles of the protagonists seemed very real to me, I would say definitely read it. It's one of the few books I've gotten emotionally involved in.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy, so far interesting. His theme of the landscape being almost more pronounced than the actual characters continues. They feel muted a bit. Can't explain it right.

Also started Neuromancer by William Gibson. Began this at lunch today, so far is fantastic. Reminds me a lot of Blade Runner and Johnny Mnemonic.

Bought as well Mote in Gods Eye, but didn't start.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Blendy posted:

I'm in a Reader's Advisory class this semester for my mls so I'm going to be buying/reading a lot of genre fiction.

Started Dune (SF) but didn't have time to finish it. Moved on to Monkey: A Journey to the West (Inspirational) (Kherdian's version, which I didn't like as much as Waley's). And now I'm reading All the Pretty Horses (Western).

I'll need to also find something from the following genres if anyone has any suggestions:

Romance
Non Fiction
Graphic Novel
GLBT
Mystery or Thriller

Echoing Watchmen for the graphic novel, it's fantastic. As for Romance, eh, not sure. How broad are you parameters for that genre? You might consider a novella by Tolstoy, Family Happiness. It's a beautiful little story about the marriage of a young girl and an older man, their courtship, and the girls eventual changing notion of marriage.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Blendy posted:

Skellen

We can go very broad throughout the scope of the genre. I'll look at Family Happiness and see if it fits enough.

Great! If you do pick up or borrow a book with it, make sure it includes The Death of Ivan Ilyich as well. I don't know what that would fit into in your list, but it's another novella of Tolstoy's and is fantastic. It's about a young man reflecting on his life and taking stock, as it were. I don't know really how to describe it. Profoundly moving though.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Currently reading:
Too many to count; I've REALLY got to start whittling this number down.

Just bought:
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein. I like it! Just read the first chapter over lunch, very good start.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

WalaWala posted:

...and recently started "A Game of Thrones" recommended to me by a friend.

Oh you poor bastard. I think your friend might secretly hate you.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Starting in on the last of the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson, and I am really, really enjoying it. Glad I made myself get through those first fifty pages of book one.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy. I love this mans writing, but I seem to be comparing all of his books to how they compare to Blood Meridian and so far they are found wanting, just a bit. Nevertheless, it is quite good so far and I can't wait for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Les Miserables, after seeing the trailer for the new movie this Christmas. To my shame I've not finished it on previous reads. I find the book itself to be astounding, and wonderful, but the interludes are a bane so I quit reading at the last and switched to a different book.

Raven's Shadow, a $3 self-published book recommended in the Sanderson thread. Fantasy setting and so far I'm very impressed with the writing. I'm at the beginning still, but am enjoying it quite a bit.

• Locked thread