Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, the SCX24 platform is great! The only complaint I have had that makes me want to go a bit bigger is that it can struggle in tall grass that doesn't bend much under the truck's weight.

Also, it is a crawler, so if you want kickin' rad dirt tails and stuff, it ain't gonna give you that. It is incredible for what it is, however. There are hop-ups and upgrades for days. Both performance parts and also parts to make it more like a scale model that you can drive (like working winches).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's also great for little indoor courses I built for it using rocks I found outside, and I like to take it to my local state park and crawl around. Its so small you can basically take it anywhere and have fun without annoying people. If you take it outside though beware of people walking their dogs they will try to bite it!!

If you like the tinkering/tweaking side its also fantastic for that, since its small parts are relatively cheap and so its not the end of the world if you break something. I bought a stock one and now there's barely any original parts left because I had so much fun upgrading it (although thats not to say the stock needs upgrades, its great and a ton of fun out of the box!)

Ive been thinking about building an SC10 now and getting into a bigger scale but the SCX24 will always be my first and favorite RC!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thats all great to hear, I just ordered the deadbolt and cant wait for it to show up. Theres a couple parks within a 5-10m walk from me that have some trails with rocks and downed logs and stuff, the 1/24 scale really appealed because I can throw it in a backpack when I go for a walk through the park and mess around along the way, or keep in the car for when I go mountain biking for fishing for a fun additional activity.

The aftermarket looks awesome, I kinda wanted a more buggy style one like the AX18 but looks like I can get a new chassis down the line if I want.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Kvlt! posted:

This was basically the exact right up I was lookong for! Incredibly helpful thank you! I love to tinker and tweak stuff so this part of it really appeals to me. Im looking into computer radios now, do you have recs for a good one or are they more car-specific?

As long as it's a computer radio, it'll work. I generally drink the Spektrum Kool-Aid, but I've recently bought a couple Fr-Sky radios for "throwaway" setups. The Spektrum radios are easier to deal with, but they all do the same things. "What radio do you recomend?" isn't wildly different from asking what religion is best. $40 for a computer radio buys a lot of "this is a pain" versus the $90-400 for real brands.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

, is there anything wrong with the SCX24 platform?
I like mine.

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
Hey all, I used to do some RC way back when I was younger, and recently got the urge to get back into it after seeing some 1/10 SCT in action. I’ve enjoyed putting together kits (not rc) before, and have my eye on a TA SC6.4 kit. Problem is I’m a bit lost with all the electronics options now to pick any. Any suggestions for motor/esc/servos that are good value (not necessarily cheap)?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Motors are not a thing you'll see a difference in, until you start ~actually winning~. At that point, your opinion is better than any advice from strangers. Pick a brand that is available in the US, and go to town. Savox is the goto for servos. You'll find them retail, they're in the $60-110 range. Futaba makes everything from rtrash to "really fast" so I recomend avoiding that... as it's easy to buy the $50 base servo that's slower than a moose in molasses. Spektrum makes good servos too. You want something less than .10 seconds for 60deg. Hobbywing is where to go for ESCs. Nearly everyone will have a programmer at the track, and you can likely buy a replacement at the track if you blow yours up.

As noted up-page, radios are a religon.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Nobel nb4s are the best bang for the buck radios out right now.

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
That was just the sort of advice I was after! Thank you both.

I should have mentioned I’m in Australia, but there’s a few stores to purchase from so I’m also checking which brands have good supply coverage.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I ordered my scx24 on Friday and the tracking info still doesn't show it as picked up by USPS....

Losing my gat drat mind over here

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It showed up today, been driving it around my place and it's pretty fun. I want to get it outside but it's dumping rain today.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Got it outside today, a local park has a big old cliff in it and I found plenty of stuff to crawl around on along the base. I can see how a larger scale would be nice for doing random stuff outside, theres lots of natural scale features that are just a lil too big to bridge or get a tire up onto with the 1/24 scale but I had a lot of fun.

I was a little curious how to know when the battery is dead, knowing you dont want to discharge lipos too far. After a while the motor stopped responding until I power cycled it, I'm assuming this was a low voltage cutoff in the ESC? Last time I was into RC it was like a decade ago and my ESC had a low battery beeper.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Got it outside today, a local park has a big old cliff in it and I found plenty of stuff to crawl around on along the base. I can see how a larger scale would be nice for doing random stuff outside, theres lots of natural scale features that are just a lil too big to bridge or get a tire up onto with the 1/24 scale but I had a lot of fun.

I was a little curious how to know when the battery is dead, knowing you dont want to discharge lipos too far. After a while the motor stopped responding until I power cycled it, I'm assuming this was a low voltage cutoff in the ESC? Last time I was into RC it was like a decade ago and my ESC had a low battery beeper.

Assuming you are using the stock radio that came with the SCX, the light on the radio will go from green to yellow/amber when the truck's battery gets low.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Oh thanks, I didn't realize that. I plugged in the usb charger that came with the kit and it immediately let out a puff of magic smoke and died :(

I'm going to try and warranty the charger, but as it seems like a POS regardless any recommendations for a cheap but decent charger to pick up?

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 5, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Speaking of SCX24, mine flips over a bit too easy for my liking and I am looking into getting some optional parts to lower the center of gravity a bit. Which of these would make the biggest difference? They were listed under optional parts for the specific version of the SCX24 that I have (AXI00006T1 - 2021 Ford Bronco 4WD Truck Brushed RTR) so should be compatible.

I am also open to third-party hop-ups, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh poo poo, I didn't know SCX24 hopup parts were a thing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IOwnCalculus posted:

From what I understand, it has one of the best third-party hop-up parts support of any platform.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
No personal experience with any of this having just gotten mine, but from videos and stuff seems like injora is a go-to thats cheaper than axial and still fine quality. Also I've generally seen people say diff covers, metal wheels, and knuckles are good places to start as they keep the weight down low where it helps out the most.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

IOwnCalculus posted:

:shepspends:
As mentioned, ya it's got hop-ups...

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

No personal experience with any of this having just gotten mine, but from videos and stuff seems like injora is a go-to thats cheaper than axial and still fine quality. Also I've generally seen people say diff covers, metal wheels, and knuckles are good places to start as they keep the weight down low where it helps out the most.

I've got a bunch of injora and meus parts on my trx4m and the quality has been pretty good so far.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Did you end up getting any hop-ups? I'm really enjoying my scx24 but there's a lot of stuff at my local rock pile that's just marginally too hard for it, like just a pinky finger on the roof to keep it from bouncing and it drives up but it'll buck all day otherwise.

I'm thinking wheels to lower the cg, some brass axle wideners to increase the track width, and then doing the shock relocation to add some articulation while the other.mods hopefully keep the cg from raising too much.

I've got the deadbolt, which has the short front arms and long rear arms.

Also horizon warrantied my lovely charger and sent me a battery and charger so now I have two! I picked up a slightly nicer balance charger in the meantime, so should be good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
No, not yet. Had some other expenses that came first.