Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kiss your hubs goodbye, but if you have the motor for it, it'll be fun until they go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Kiss your hubs goodbye, but if you have the motor for it, it'll be fun until they go.

Additional reading tells me this is a Dumb loving Idea™ if I don't want to replace my motor. Will it still burn out if I run it in low?

I think I'll just order some correct size sand/snow tires.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was gonna mention that, but I don’t know what motor you’ve got. Yeah, if you don’t have a low KV enough motor, you’re gonna burn it up unless you crawl around at walking speed, which sort of defeats the entire purpose.

In general if you have a motor sized to drive those small tires, it’s not gonna be happy driving 200% larger tires.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

0.7ml oil. plunger all the way in when I closed up the chamber. I used the springs from the friction shocks. They are a little stronger, but it sat pretty low with the ones the new shocks came with.

2 ft drop.

I don't think I can do much better with what I got, but was wondering how it looked to people who know what they are doing.

It has spring adjustment things so I could put the weaker springs on and tighten them up, but if it's not obvious, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
A cars ride height should be with the drive shafts about level. Having control is a matter of having the wheels in contract with the ground as much as you can, which means you need available up travel, and down travel. Your car is quite high.

You have basically built emulsion shocks, so "the first drop" is gonna be a bit weird. You'll need to pump the shocks a few times for them to work right. So do that drop test like five or six times, and the last one is gonna be what it really does.

Shocks... aren't really for handling jumps. A properly setup car ABSOLUTELY is gonna bottom out on a big jump. And usually, even pretty tame ones. But it won't pogo out of control. That's the goal here.

Heck, most of my cars will smack the chassis down off a 12" drop. But they land ~and stay landed~.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nerobro posted:

A cars ride height should be with the drive shafts about level. Having control is a matter of having the wheels in contract with the ground as much as you can, which means you need available up travel, and down travel. Your car is quite high.

You have basically built emulsion shocks, so "the first drop" is gonna be a bit weird. You'll need to pump the shocks a few times for them to work right. So do that drop test like five or six times, and the last one is gonna be what it really does.

Shocks... aren't really for handling jumps. A properly setup car ABSOLUTELY is gonna bottom out on a big jump. And usually, even pretty tame ones. But it won't pogo out of control. That's the goal here.

Heck, most of my cars will smack the chassis down off a 12" drop. But they land ~and stay landed~.

I hadn't thought about suspension that way, so I really appreciate this post!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Nerobro posted:

I'll swap out the springs then. The ones it came with sat a little low, but I can adjust that, but I also have a bunch of other RC shock springs for reasons.

I took it out this afternoon and it's crazy how much better it handles. Like it's glued to the ground by comparison to what it was. And it lands jumps over my head like nothing. I'm also surprised at how well it controls in air.

The Hart truck that was so cool that I decided to get a real RC car is really garbo to drive after it. The oil shocks I added to it helped, but the comparison is just to stark. I want to get a second hobby grade one, but my wife was just technically laid off in a restructure and we won't find out until January if she has a Job in February. So I'm not supposed to buy things.

At least it'll give me time to decide if I want another 1/16 for ease of parts swapping, or if I want to go up to a 1/10.

Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll bother you about more things later.

Edit: that video was after dropping it a few times because I couldn't work the slomo camera on my phone. But it doesn't bounce like it did off jumps so it works.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 11, 2023

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

So, good news, the lipo zee batteries I got made a world of difference in speed vs the generic lion it came with. I didn't realize how much higher/farther/faster it would ramp. In completely unrelated news it's absolutely time to buy new shocks.

Nerobro posted:

I say best. But I will point out, that these are ~all~ trash. Spending $20 on Yeah Racing, or 3 Racing is a massive step up from these. They come with pistons of different hole counts, hey come with some sort of volume compensation, they come with oil, they come with spare parts.

I need 68 or 70 mm hole to hole. I wasn't able to find any from either of those brands around $20. The only $20 ones I found that had good reviews were haiboxing. I really only poked around Amazon. But I've got plenty of time to wait while the replacement shock tower comes in if there's somewhere better to order from.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Horizon Hobby
Tower Hobbies
AMain Hobbies
RC Superstore
RC Planet

I've used or looked through most of those before. Amazon generally isn't the best place for niche hobbies like this.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Kibner posted:

Horizon Hobby
Tower Hobbies
AMain Hobbies
RC Superstore
RC Planet

I've used or looked through most of those before. Amazon generally isn't the best place for niche hobbies like this.

I tried supporting my LHS (well, I tried all three of them in this city) and apparently they all sell crawlers, truly an incredible amount of choice, and a few crawler tires, of which they mostly have a single pair, even proline dual stage inserts for the tires, but nobody had any 1.9 or 2.2 wheels, nevermind wheels that work with Proline inserts. They didn't even know the inserts they sell require specific wheels.
The only LHS with competent people AND stock is a 3h drive each way.

So for 20% less money and no waste of time I'll buy everything online.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Considering getting my nephew something for Christmas. He’s 6. Good idea/bad idea? Kid fuckign loves cars, but I’m hesitant that he will just break an rc or be frustrated about batteries being run down or otherwise not be able to take care of it. I was thinking something like a mini rock crawler like an Axial scx24 or maybe just one of those 1/72 micro cars mentioned a page or two back. Also considering something cheap like a haiboxing 1:18 off amazon. Needs to be fully ready to run and under $150 for sure. Am I overthinking this and just get him something toy quality for $30?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Sxc24 is bad rear end and too slow to break all the time. My kids love theirs.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

SCX24 or Traxxas TRXm is the move for sure. They are worth the money. They work really well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well now I want a scx24 :argh:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well now I want a scx24 :argh:

Same

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

SCX24 or Traxxas TRXm is the move for sure. They are worth the money. They work really well.
Can't agree enough. They're quite nice, and essentially impossible to damage beyond repair.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I was looking around Amazon a bit and they have an AX24 by the same company for almost the same price as the SCX24. According to the reviews I just watched it’s slightly more capable out of the box since it has 4 wheel steering and more suspension travel, but lots of people like the SCX for the realistic styling. Thinking of going with the AX.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Elysium posted:

So I was looking around Amazon a bit and they have an AX24 by the same company for almost the same price as the SCX24. According to the reviews I just watched it’s slightly more capable out of the box since it has 4 wheel steering and more suspension travel, but lots of people like the SCX for the realistic styling. Thinking of going with the AX.

If it's for a 6 year old who likes cars, I think the more realistic styling of the SCX might go over better, tbh.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

This is the right reaction. I own one. it's perfect for "welp, I need 5 minutes of wheel time in a dirty house"

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Kibner posted:

If it's for a 6 year old who likes cars, I think the more realistic styling of the SCX might go over better, tbh.

Yeah I think it’s kind of a tossup there. He might love the one that looks like a real Jeep, but then again, the other one looks like a “Monster Truck” so it’s hard to say. I was just kind of thinking what’s more likely to be able to drive over whatever little toys he makes a course out of.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nerobro posted:

This is the right reaction. I own one. it's perfect for "welp, I need 5 minutes of wheel time in a dirty house"

I've been out of the game for so long because I just don't have enough space to store or run R/C cars, but maybe these small scale ones would be fine. I'm also considering getting a micro R/C for house fun. I need to go see what is out there for micro's so I can compare them to the SCX24 and figure out which would be best for me.

---

Elysium posted:

Yeah I think it’s kind of a tossup there. He might love the one that looks like a real Jeep, but then again, the other one looks like a “Monster Truck” so it’s hard to say. I was just kind of thinking what’s more likely to be able to drive over whatever little toys he makes a course out of.

Might be worth talking to your sibling about which they think the kid might prefer, tbh. Hopefully they know!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Kibner posted:

I've been out of the game for so long because I just don't have enough space to store or run R/C cars, but maybe these small scale ones would be fine. I'm also considering getting a micro R/C for house fun. I need to go see what is out there for micro's so I can compare them to the SCX24 and figure out which would be best for me.

1/24 and 1/76 scale saved driving for me. In the space of one 1/10 scale car, I can have a drift car, a crawler, and a couple nice road cars.... And they're ~good~. Like, the closest thing I have to an excuse for the turbo racing cars, is they don't have suspension. The 1/24th scale stuff? Depending on what you get... they even have dampened suspension!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nerobro posted:

1/24 and 1/76 scale saved driving for me. In the space of one 1/10 scale car, I can have a drift car, a crawler, and a couple nice road cars.... And they're ~good~. Like, the closest thing I have to an excuse for the turbo racing cars, is they don't have suspension. The 1/24th scale stuff? Depending on what you get... they even have dampened suspension!

What do you have of these small scales? I’m always up for spending money.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Snowmankilla posted:

What do you have of these small scales? I’m always up for spending money.

I'll get you a post before the end of tomorrow. I suppose a video.... It's been a while since I did the youtube thing

I have the Drift car with Gyro:
https://www.amazon.com/FLYCOLOR-Tur...c7-93deae8f9840

I have the "mini":
https://www.amazon.com/Yamix-Turbo-...deae8f9840&th=1

And I have the "race car":
https://www.amazon.com/Havcybin-Con...deae8f9840&th=1

The drift car and Race car are similar, but the race car has rubber tires, and no gyro. They have "direct drive" drivetrains, so drive like a normal r/c car.

The "mini" has a worm drive drivetrain so.. braking isn't a thing, it just kinda stops.

In 1/24 I have Mini-Z and a SCX24. I've owned the Losi micro crawlers too. I can't add much to those. They're just.. "small hobby grade r/c cars". No suprises, just small. And awesome.

That said, video forthcoming.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
The TRX4M is such a disappointment in terms of quality after the TRX4. I know it's cheap, but still, it's not great value like its big brother. Well, at least 1.0 beadlocks are much easier to build than 1.9s

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nerobro posted:

I'll get you a post before the end of tomorrow. I suppose a video.... It's been a while since I did the youtube thing

I have the Drift car with Gyro:
https://www.amazon.com/FLYCOLOR-Tur...c7-93deae8f9840

I have the "mini":
https://www.amazon.com/Yamix-Turbo-...deae8f9840&th=1

And I have the "race car":
https://www.amazon.com/Havcybin-Con...deae8f9840&th=1

The drift car and Race car are similar, but the race car has rubber tires, and no gyro. They have "direct drive" drivetrains, so drive like a normal r/c car.

The "mini" has a worm drive drivetrain so.. braking isn't a thing, it just kinda stops.

In 1/24 I have Mini-Z and a SCX24. I've owned the Losi micro crawlers too. I can't add much to those. They're just.. "small hobby grade r/c cars". No suprises, just small. And awesome.

That said, video forthcoming.

Nice! I think I have all of those! Good choices!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I'm moving soon and will be near a very nice and popular carpet off road track, so I guess it's time to get back into 1/10 racing. Anyone have interests in seeing the geekier side of that kind of stuff? Or should I :justpost: once I get settled?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

antimatt posted:

I'm moving soon and will be near a very nice and popular carpet off road track, so I guess it's time to get back into 1/10 racing. Anyone have interests in seeing the geekier side of that kind of stuff? Or should I :justpost: once I get settled?

Everything you can post!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nerobro posted:

Everything you can post!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

antimatt posted:

Anyone have interests in seeing the geekier side of that kind of stuff? Or should I :justpost: once I get settled?

I am especially interested in the geekier side.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My partner’s family got me the SCX24 Ford Bronco for Christmas after hearing me talk excitedly about it and getting back into r/c. Battery is still charging but I can’t wait to try it out! Everyone was impressed with how much engineering is in this thing. lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got my kids the TC03 1:76 drift cars for Xmas and they’ve already run like 10 charges through them.

Getting them dialed in took a little doing but once they were set they drive really well

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The AX24 went over really well with my nephew. As I suspected he calls it a “monster truck” even though no one ever said those words. He’s surprisingly adept at switching between the regular steering and 4 wheel steer modes even if he doesn’t understand that he could in fact, just stop, rather than run into the wall and flip it. Similarly, kid hates to reverse. He would rather walk to it and pick it up than do a K turn. So the finer parts of rock crawling will probably elude him for a while but he loves driving it around anyway.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 26, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Both of my kids did the same thing for a while when they were young. They’d get the car far away from them and rather than just drive it back, they’d go get it.

I think it’s just a stage kids go through where they forget that they can just drive it back.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Crosspost from my 1:1 scale project thread.
There is finally a local drift community for the scale stuff. They rent an empty mall storefront and set up a reasonable sized course once a month.
So it's time for a mini-me.

Is a TT-02 the ideal choice for a drift car? Nope! Can it be made with work with a 1-way front diff and locked rear? Yup, as long as you also remove all steering angle limitations with a grinder.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

do yall have any recs for "solo challenges"?

My work has odd hours and Im on call a lot so I cant get to the track often, I'm looking for something to do with my RC cars alone that offers a challenge to overcome.

I built a little track and did time trials on it, but I got bored pretty fast.

I love the idea of RC tractor-pulling as i like the irl sport and adjusting a RC tractor to see how much I can pull sounds like a solo good time, but they are extremely expensive and the main shop that sells stuff for RC tractor pulling seems temporarily closed.

Any ideas? Open to anything really.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Kvlt! posted:

Any ideas? Open to anything really.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1zNdClsXUn/
youtube link for non-gramers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shorts?B3vBvMR9nxw

deong fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 8, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that is absolutely badass! i appreciate the suggestion very much but I shouldve clarified im not into drifting

Is RC drag racing a thing? I was thinking of building a nitro dragster because I feel an electric one would be pretty boring.

Im definitely a person who enjoys working on the cars more than driving them but my weird brain finds it hard to build for building sake, hence why RC drag racing interested me if thats even a thing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Kvlt! posted:

that is absolutely badass! i appreciate the suggestion very much but I shouldve clarified im not into drifting

Is RC drag racing a thing? I was thinking of building a nitro dragster because I feel an electric one would be pretty boring.

Im definitely a person who enjoys working on the cars more than driving them but my weird brain finds it hard to build for building sake, hence why RC drag racing interested me if thats even a thing.

Hey I got good news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TgKkx3rmiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPi415OmAM

It totally is a thing and it's as cool as you imagine. They even make scale Christmas Trees!

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rock crawling? Easy enough to gather some rocks and obstacles then re-stack them once you've mastered it.