Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
This hobby is completely wallet hungry.

Here is a teaser from last years family races:

From right to left the damage:

-Team Barracuda - Got the ESC wet constantly. Has a ton of bumps and scratches since its the oldest and heaviest.
-Team Crash Dummies - Would flip at top speed, which is around 40mph, throwing the batteries to the front of the boat disconnecting them.
-Team Whopass - Would flip often. Burned out its ESC.
-Team Red Baron - Hit shore at a good clip while the driver wasn't paying attention. :haw:
-Team Bid Dog - Was speared and sunk by Team Red Baron
-Team Falcon 1 - Melted its solder connections while using LiPos
-Team Falcon 2 - Melted its solder connections while using LiPos
-Team Flying Janeck (Wrapped) - Set the balsawood shaft mount on fire when the connection to the prop failed and overspun the shaft. Burning balsawood smells BAD.

So yes. We burn through a lot of money when we do this for an entire long weekend at a cottage.

Subsequently we spend a lot of time fixing poo poo here:

Oops...

Hell yea check out the spray on these bad boys.

If anyone is curious about any of the boats or want more pictures. Just ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
ReVolt?

That poo poo was the BOMB. Also, tons of tracks/cars were available to download on PC.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Duratrax Micro Street Force checking in. Cheap to bash around. And compatible with some Micro RS4 stuff.

Mine has a bigger batt, bigger moter, RS4 LED kit, BMW M3 body with added light bars and faux disc brakes.

I made sure to mask the lights and cut the headlight decals to allow the LEDs, which are pretty bright, to shine through the lexan. Works perfectally in a pitch black room.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Guts.

Bangar body.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 30, 2009

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

krushgroove posted:

I'm glad you like your car, but the design is a blatant ripoff of the Micro RS4 - not uncommon in the industry, but hey you're having fun so enjoy it :) unfortunately Micro died out a while back...but I still have 3 :)

We are fully aware of the ripoff. :v: My uncle got us into them when they were on sale. There are 3 in the family. We only buy R/Cs for family competition so they work just fine for that. :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

James Woods posted:

:words:

All that and no pics?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Someone wanna explain the D-Box thing in greater detail?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You would be about this crazy:

(The last one is mine. We were running it around on a simple tarmac course. Lots of fun)

I'm assuming these are a series. What broke on that landing?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Toucan Sam posted:

Here's the charger several of my friends have and the one i ordered.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

And here are the batteries i purchased due to price, specs, and good overall reviews.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9172

Bookmarking these for next summers boat races.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I have two boats. And my family does family reunion races.

Since it only happens once a year every family desperately tries to one up each other. And since we essentially run unlimited rules things get pretty wild. We usually sink one and break a ton of poo poo every year. It's awesome.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Is that a loving brake disc?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nerobro posted:

So how about a little update.

It doesn't look much different does it?

I finally got my new lipo's in the mail. The cells I picked up were 420mah cells. ONE takes up the whole space of the original 4.8v pack. I made a saddle pack. I was initially going to strap it to the sides of the chassis between the body and the frame rails. But I couldn't come up with an elegant mounting solution.

So....

I put one cell in the original holder, and used two zip ties to strap the second between the shock mounts, and the stock battery holder. It works really well, and you can't see it from the outside.

Now it will pop a wheelie.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this little concentrated piece of awesome?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Racing and Marshalling became a very stressful thing, because one wipe out and you'll have guys SCREAMING at you on the stands.

How is there not a rule on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Time to torment the dog.