Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I have a bunch of R/C cars but have barely touched them in the last four years since I got my license and a real car. I've been thinking about getting them running again because they are all types of fun. Only problem is that I have too many expensive hobbies.

Mine and my dad's cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

uwaeve posted:

Thanks, it sounds like this is the way to go. This Granite is for the kids so currently on an entry level radio that does give 50/75/100 throttle limits, but our DB Pro I have on a DX5C and have been able to adjust the throttle to basically match the Granite so both kids or their friends can have two cars to run.

I did dick around with the NiMH battery and it seems to give like 7 or 8 minutes run time. The ESC says low voltage cutoff is 6.4V on NiMH jumper setting but it consistently shuts off at around 8.4 V (unloaded), so I assume the pack voltage is sagging hard enough to trip the protection. On the 2S at 50% throttle limit it seems to be good to go thermally for a while, haven't even tried a constant entire pack yet since I'm supposed to be working and all, but I will probably just keep that 50% for now until I figure out the right parts to throw at this thing.

In the thread opinion should I try to source the BLX100 ESC and the motor that goes on the brushless Granite, or is it one of those cases where I'd be better off with something third party? I was looking at this combo but I'm not really sure if I'm asking for trouble with an 85A ESC as opposed to the 100A one. I also can't really figure out the difference between the packaged SPMXSM1300 3300 Kv motor (which looks like it's a $35 motor if purchased separately) and the SPMXSM2000 3200 Kv motor that looks like is standard on the brushless Granite and looks to be a $90 motor...

I am sort of a fan of having the telemetry even though the radio for the Granite can't do anything with it, I assume I can bind it to the DX5C for troubleshooting and whatnot if I go with all Spektrum electronics which is why I'm leaning that way.

This is a pretty good deal for a Spektrum 3150kv motor and 130A ESC: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Losi-S...1MAAOSwwf1gVlbn

Bought the same motor/ESC for the LMT roller I just put together (it's what the RTR comes with), plenty of power on 3S.