Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Long time listener, first time poster ( in this thread, anyways).

I used to semi-pro carpet race (just local level tournies') when I lived in Europe back in the late 90's/early 2000's. I have a HPI RS4 Pro 3. It's sitting around collecting dust and I want to bring it back from hibernation.

Problem is that all my radio gear is the old euro 50Mhz stuff and as far as I understand it, in North America, that is a big no no.

What are my options as far as new radio gear goes?

Would it be cheaper for me to buy a RTR kit (like a Micro RS4) and then pick up a second receiver? Or buy a radio and receiver locally/online?

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

After buying a Tamiya Lunchbox as a dog toy tow vehicle last year, I'm back into the RC hobby after giving up carpet racing a HPI Pro 3 back in 2003.

I love building them about as much as driving them, so I picked up a Tamiya TT02 Porsche RSR kit. The plan is to build a Safari/Rally version (full lights, roof basket, etc.)

Pretty sure I have an idea where to get everything but what is the go to for servos and batteries? Before I just default to my outdated goto of Futaba.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm neck deep in a Tamiya TT-02 Safari 911 build. Can confirm that the kits are so good and fun, you don't care that it's all plastic.

This will be the first one I build with lights. Where and how do I mount the LEDs in the lexan?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, the Sand Scorcher just looks fun. I bet it'll do wheelies with a nice brushless setup.

The rereleased LunchBox will pull a wheelie forever from a stop if you floor it. It even comes with a wheelie bar.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

antimatt posted:

I think the Axial is near the front of the pack if you want options and scale accuracy.

They're a bit bigger, but Losi offers 1/14 and 1/18 buggies and trucks. Might have a look at them?

I got my niece and nephew the Losi Micro-T's for Xmas two years ago and they're indestructible. They've abused the crap out of them inside and in their backyard and have not needed any repairs.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm in the process of painting my TT-02 911 RSR body and am trying to find light buckets that will work. Where should I be looking? I already have the tamiya light kit and controller. I just need a way to mount the LEDs to the lexan.

Edit: Found a set in Germany! https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=242520&lang=eng

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 16, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I have a similar question, but I'm mostly ok with building or modding (but would probably prefer something RTR), and instead of for children, I want something my dog can chase around our backyard. It's relatively level but grassy, and I'd like something that can move at a decent clip and isn't made of papier mache.

Couple hundred bucks max?

I use a 1:10 Tamiya Lunchbox as a dog toy tow vehicle. I have a piece of Velcro on the wheelie bar, so when my dogs catch the toy, it detaches easily enough and doesn't damage the truck.

I think everything came to just over $200Cad. FlySky Radio off eBay, charger off eBay, Nimh pack off Amazon and the LunchBox from RCMart.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I tossed the rally and truck parts catalog at my TT-02 touring kit.

So far, zero regrets.

Edit: Running 80mm length shocks vs the stock Tamiya 50mm(?).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I have no idea what is going on but I need one.
https://twitter.com/TamiyaUK/status/1387269257264869378?s=19

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Have you watched Hyperdrive on Netflix? Some decent inspiration there.

The seesaw bridge perhaps?

This sounds amazing either way and I would like to see pictures and video.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

More Tamiya content!

I finished my Safari Porsche 911 this week. It has been far to hot (32-38C) outside to work on full scale stuff recently. So 1:10 scale indoors it is.

Clearance TT-02 911 RSR kit - built with the rally config instead of the instructions on-road setup.
80mm eBay dampers
Tamiya Hilux kit BFG Mud Terrain tires
Tamiya LED controller kit
3d printed headlight and tail light buckets
Axial SC10 roof basket

I love the Tamiya kits because they're like Lego and you really have to build them and not the usual minor assembly.

Edit: A massive thank you to Somewhat Heroic for the guidance and instructions on painting the body.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 17, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I went down this exact path back in 2018 when I bought my re-issued Tamiya Lunchbox.

I bought a FlySky transmitter and receiver off eBay.
The lunchbox kit came with an ESC.

I ordered a steering servo, Fast Eddy bearings and battery pack off Amazon and that was it.

Three years later, I bought a second Tamiya kit and ordered a second receiver off eBay and basically repeated the Amazon order.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

RC vehicle shenanigans do not have to stop just because it has snowed.

Although I do have to order a limited slip for the TT-02 (part number 22046).

Edit: Actually, look at this: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/option-parts/rc-ball-differential-set-39t/

This is why I love Tamiya.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 28, 2022

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Your 02 owns. What parts did you use to get that much lift and those tires on it?

The chassis and shock towers in rally config and eBay 80mm oil dampers with the "soft" Tamiya springs. Plus a 10mm body lift. That's it. It's surprisingly simple.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

antimatt posted:

Anyone have interests in seeing the geekier side of that kind of stuff? Or should I :justpost: once I get settled?

I am especially interested in the geekier side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Crosspost from my 1:1 scale project thread.
There is finally a local drift community for the scale stuff. They rent an empty mall storefront and set up a reasonable sized course once a month.
So it's time for a mini-me.

Is a TT-02 the ideal choice for a drift car? Nope! Can it be made with work with a 1-way front diff and locked rear? Yup, as long as you also remove all steering angle limitations with a grinder.