Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehlump
Aug 7, 2007
I raced dirt oval in the late 80's when I was about 12 years old. I have had a Tamiya monster beetle (my first) and a Losi JRX2.

I recently bought a used TMAXX for $100. My interest in the hobby has been renewed!

I want to buy a Traxxas Summit for my son and I to play with. Can anyone help me regarding the best battery options for this truck? I would like good runtime, so obviously LIPO would be best, but it appears the pricing is still pretty high. If I have to go with NIMH is it possible to buy a charger that can charge both battery types so I don't have to replace it if I ever transition to LIPO?

I have no clue which batteries are good and which are crap, I browse the online hobby shops and I'm just overwhelmed at the number of options.

Also-what is the best online hobby shop? I've been looking at tower hobbies. My local shop is over an hour away and all parts have been 40-50% higher than online.

Any ideas?

tehlump fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehlump
Aug 7, 2007
Thanks for the info...

I didn't mean to charge both LIPO and NIMH at the same time, I just meant that it would be nice if it had the capability of doing both.

However, I just thought of something. The summit uses 2 batteries. Is there a charger made that can charge 2 at the same time or will I have to charge each separately?

Thanks for the hobby shop URL's. I'll check them out.