Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So I see lots of discussion about cars / trucks, and this thread has almost convinced me to get a Traxxas Slash in a few months, but what about those of us with boats?

Because I've got a pretty awesome cheapy that has twin motors, and it will haul balls across the water while making one hell of a noise. I'd seriously wager it does 20mph as is, and i'm considering buying two brushless motors to mod it and see if I can get it moving even quicker :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So i'm thinking of buying my friend's nitro Revo for $250. It's, iirc, the 2.5, comes with starter, charger, 2 different bodies, remote, etc. etc. All the goodies.

What i'm wondering is, do Revos use a certain special body type, or can I mount just any old 1/10 scale to it? I know right now he has an Escalade EXT body on it, but i'm wondering if I could put, say, a K5 Blazer or something else on it as long as it's 1/10 scale.

And if so, does anyone know where I could get a mid-late 90's S10 Blazer body in 1/10 scale? I have plans, you see...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRX7&P=FR

My mind is currently boggling at this. Am I mistaken, or is that seriously a tiny little centrifugal supercharger for the Revo? Because holy poo poo...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, I doubt I will ever buy one for my Revo, but the fact that they even make them is pretty loving cool. Those same guys also apparently produce a direct nitrous injection system for RC engines. I mean, most nitro cars are stupid quick as-is. I've driven my friend's Revo that he's selling me before, it was loving nutso fast already. I can't imagine what boosting it and putting a tiny little nitrous system on it would do :aaa:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I applaud your efforts in the search for the perfect screw, krush :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Check out what I picked up for $250 guys :3:

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Revo 3.3! Got it off my friend, came with the Escalade body and the stock Revo body plus plenty of fuel. Still need to pick up a new EZ Starter, plus charger for the receiver battery and body clips, but for $250, i'd say it's an excellent deal :D

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Well, this is a weird issue.

Got everything I needed for my Revo, hooked up the receiver batt. to my TRX Power charger... nothing. Light stays solid green, doesn't flash, turning the switch to on with the truck unhooked from it doesn't result in anything...

Tried hooking the Charger up to my 7.2v Starter battery with the adapter... Green light blinks, charges fine :confused:

Is it possible my 5-cell just took a complete and total poo poo and is unable to charge at all?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Frobbe posted:

batteries can do so much weird poo poo, that i firmly believe that RC electronics are created by goblins intend on killing mankind.

I feel the same way about GM electronics, truth be told :P

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

In the related videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr-T2bHLO4s&feature=related

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So in the DIY & Hobbies forum I found some scale modelers that thought I would snap out of the static model frame of mind and posted this guy:

I figured I would cross post it. That is the Hilux with RC4WD goodies.

In other news, I put the new aluminum shocks on my BLITZ from HPI. I still think they are priced high, but I have never built a shock that was so easy to assemble, and were so easy to bleed (and I have built Losi shocks before).
I also installed a NOVAK HAVOC 3S/Ballistic 10.5 in it last night. It was too dark to run it when I got it done, but so far it seems VERY snappy!
Also I bought my SCX10 Honcho today :3: so I know what I will be doing tonight!

I refuse to believe this is anything other than a real, full scale truck.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I finally got my Revo up and running tonight and went through close to a quart of nitro through various runs throughout the night.

I did learn one important lesson in a wide open parking lot, and that is: From a dead stop, to about 40 - 60ft, your typical Dodge Charger police interceptor will get it's rear end positively handed to it by a stock Revo 3.3

That was utterly hilarious, and the reason I love local cops. He clocked it doing some runs, then had me and my friends line up the Revo next to his Charger and do a run. When that little fucker grabs second, it hauls rear end.

I'm suddenly understanding why this is such a fun and easy hobby to get sucked into. And I already want to make it go even faster so I can take it to my local strip and mess with the guys running built Mustangs and Camaros. "You've got a built 302? Yeah i'm running a 3.3cc motor. Bet I can take you off the line :v: "

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

kuffs posted:

http://vimeo.com/9056286

Arcade racer using rc cars

I would play the poo poo out of that.

Also, why in the hell do I keep getting tempted to buy a Tamiya Hornet kit? It's only like $140 new but it's $140 i do not need to spend.

But it's so cool :shobon:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Click here for the full 675x405 image.

i'm wanting to pick up that body for my Revo, or the 80's Blazer one. Was just wondering, can anyone tell me what wheels those are? I really like the look of them, and would love to pick up a set of 4 to go with the Topkick or Blazer body.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Check Pro-Line's site. They're definitely Pro-lines because it's a promo pic for a Pro-Line body.

Haha, don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Thanks man, turns out they're Pro-Line Tech 5's. Think I'm gonna pick up some of those at some point :)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Plastic bumpers are for pussies :smug:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Sloppy posted:

After many months of lurking this thread and lusting, it looks like I'll finally be able to get my own R/C car sometime in the next month or two. From what I've gleaned I'm leaning strongly toward something waterproof Traxxas (because I love mud/water), offroad, and brushless. The Slash is an obvious choice, but I'm wondering how it does it really loose stuff like soft sand with it's narrow tires. Would one of the other trucks like the E-Maxx, E-Revo, or Summit be better?

I'm probably going to try to pick up something on Craigslist to save some money and get parts with it. Is there anything to look out for in terms of wear and damage like when checking out vehicles?

So excited :woop:

The Revos are fantastic. I've got a 3.3 Nitro one, and the thing is utterly insane. They're almost unstoppable, and with the right batteries, the brushless ones are stupid quick. From what i've heard, the Maxxs are pretty nice as well, they're true bashers.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Man, i'm sad I missed the days of X-Mods. I was looking at Amazon and thinking about picking up one of the old kits, but goddamn sourcing parts to modify it would be a bitch... :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I rely on my LHS for my nitro, but that's only because I don't feel like waiting for shipping, and you can only ship 1qt at a time anyways :shobon:

Besides... $15 for a quart of 20% Nitromethane or $35 for a gallon isn't too bad... right?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Oh christ I think my Revo's tranny just ate itself :(

No more forward gear, then in the middle of trying to burn off the last of the fuel, it suddenly lost reverse and the engine went WOT and screamed until i rushed over, ripped the body off, and held the fuel cutoff until it died.

gently caress :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Just curious... when you guys are referring to Tamiya Minis, are we talking the 1/32 scale 4wd ones that are like, under $20 that i'm seeing all over Amazon?

Because if so... I think I might get into this too, these things look rad as all hell.

EDIT: Apparently not. Seems you guys mean the 1/10 scale. Damnit, I was so stoked for the idea of 1/32 scale racing...

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 6, 2010

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Manny posted:

Here's my friend who flies helicopters trying the same thing:

This is a brilliant shot, I have to say :3:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Costco near me (UK) is selling RC helis with what must be an 18" rotor diameter now (not to mention gadget websites, etc.)...I envision lots of broken parts, bruised hands and helis gathering dust starting Dec. 26th.

I have to ask, how much do they cost? I've been practicing with mini coaxials for a while now, at some point I want to upgrade to something a bit bigger. Unfortunately I don't see myself getting the cash to upgrade to some crazy expensive pro model anytime soon, so... :sigh:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Alright guys, I have a possibly stupid question for you. I know the Revos have a failsafe where if for whatever reason they lose signal, they won't just go tearing off at full throttle into the nearest solid object. What i'm wondering is, what happens when this failsafe kicks in? Would it cause my Revo to, say, suddenly roll to a stop and go WOT?

The reason I ask is, I haven't run it in months, ever since that incident. My friend thinks maybe i should charge the receiver, put some fuel in it, and try to start it and see if it responds and goes anywhere. I'm, however, afraid to so much as start it because i don't want it firing up and immediately going WOT and exploding the motor into tiny shards of flying metal bits.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what happened to it the night that happened and whether or not my transmission is busted, my clutch is shot, that was the failsafe, or something else. Has anyone had something like that happen before, or does it sound at all familiar?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Oh gently caress yes! Today was a good day. I found out a couple of awesome things, namely, I do actually have a local hobby shop, and the owner definitely knows his poo poo way more than the guys I used to rely on an hour or so away.

He managed to fix my Revo and get it running and driving again. Turns out the servo for the gear shifter is sticking and it got kicked into neutral and wouldn't shift out. Managed to pop it into Forward and voila, it'll haul balls and tear rear end just like it used to. No reverse until I manage to replace the servo or figure out why the gently caress it's not working like it should, but who needs reverse anyways? :v:

Second awesome thing, apparently a track just opened up recently in a town about 30 mins away. This is wicked news for a guy stuck in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas. Maybe now I can take my Revo to a proper course rather than just bashing it in the local parks / quarries. So stoked :3:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

VibrioCholera posted:

Are there BENEFITS to it at this point? Seems like electric are less hassle, more durable, and cheaper in the long run?

The exhaust note that you can only get from a Nitro truck is one of the reasons I have yet to sell my Revo and go electric. I love that sound :h:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Goddamnit. Busted another shock tower cap off my Revo today bashing it around in the rock quarry and jumping gravel piles. I'm incredibly glad this truck is so durable because i was landing hard and rolling it alot, but at the same time, this fucker goes through shock tower caps like nothing else. And it's always the rear shocks too :wtc:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

VibrioCholera posted:

You consider new shocks or upgrading to an aluminum shock tower cap? Then again it's probably real cheap to just keep replacing those.

Personally I keep losing random screws in the suspension. No idea how these are falling out without stripping but my car takes some nice tumbles.

I actually thought about the latter. I have buckets of spare plastic ones, but if I go aluminum, this probably wouldn't even be an issue then, so... v:shobon:v

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

VibrioCholera posted:

I can't afford it and don't need it but what are the Ken Block Fietas like?

From what I've heard, they're basically an E-Revo with a different body. So, i'd imagine they're pretty loving boss, truth be told.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, which tends to be a good sign since I seem to be "That asshat what only posts when his poo poo breaks." I see someone mentioned the new Traxxas XO-1 a few pages back. That thing is balls the gently caress out insane. 0-100mph in 5 seconds? Sheesh.

Also, it seems i'm assembling a fleet of small, coax helis. I am somehow up to 3 at this point, although my AH-64 is down due to a busted stabilizer bar and broken tail rotor. I need to get around to fixing that at some point...

Anyways, have any of you guys had experience with the Traxxas E-Z Start system? My Revo is currently sitting for the time because for some reason, my starter refuses to catch. Hook the starter box up, hit the button... You can hear the motor spinning freely, but it refuses to catch and turn the engine over. It's acting like it won't engage. Any ideas?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Pretty sure I'm going to sell this Revo 3.3 and go electric at this rate. Man, I forgot how much of a finnicky little bastard it is. I just got my suspension fixed and now it's playing up and refusing to start even with a fresh glowplug and full tank. Nitro :argh:

Anyone want a complete Revo 3.3 to trade for a Slash? :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Hey guys, got a quick question. I'm kinda looking to pick up a cheap, 2wd electric basher to play with when my new heli is down for repairs. Any of you guys know much about ARRMA stuff? I'm eyeballing their Vorteks Mega Stadium truck since it's dirt cheap and I don't need much, just something fun to play with in the local park and the rock quarry. Are they solid, reliable, etc.? And if they're poo poo, what's something cheap you guys would recommend? I'm shooting for either a 2wd stadium truck or buggy, electric, and preferably under $250. I've done the nitro thing when I had my old Revo 3.3, and while it was an absolute blast, I got sick of fiddling with the jets for the fuel, trying to solve issues when it wouldn't start, etc. I was also thinking of maybe snagging a Traxxas Rustler, but it's really hard to beat a stadium truck for $150.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, not gonna lie, that Yeti sounds really rad. If I were pulling a few more hours at work I'd definitely be interested.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Damnit, i've started browsing the local Craigslist looking for used trucks to bash around. Found an Electrix Circuit stadium truck that comes with an 1800mAh battery, a 5100mAh, plus charger and transmitter, all for $100. That is really tempting.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So, the dude with the Craigslist posting for the Electrix Circuit just updated it today, seems to still have it. I'm thinking about maybe picking it up, is there anything in particular I should know about Electrix stuff? Also, how hard is it to make a truck body not specifically made for it work? I'm thinking about dropping $100 on it since it's only about a year old and comes with 2 batteries + charger + transmitter, then somewhere down the line snagging one of Pro-Line's bodies and maybe some new wheels.

What i'm saying is, talk me out of it guys, $100 for a working electric 2wd stadium truck is really hard to pass up and I've drat near talked myself into buying it when I get paid this week :v:

Scratch all that, just noticed Tower Hobbies has a $20 off discount code for orders over $149. Gonna just save up and snag an ARRMA Raider buggy next week :allears:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 13, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Welp, went ahead and ordered the ARRMA Raider 2WD buggy. Ended up being $145 after shipping and promo discounts, which is not bad at all for a RTR buggy with everything included but AA's for the transmitter. Now I just have to wait a few days for it to arrive. That's always the hardest part :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That's always the best feeling. Speaking of...

Well hello there, I wasn't expecting you until tomorrow. As soon as it's all charged up, I plan on thrashing it and taking some proper photos of it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Aww yeah :hfive:

I'm still waiting on mine to charge, according to the manual it takes about 3 hours to charge the stock NiMH pack on the charger that comes with it. I'm already looking at picking up a Duratrax fast charge system when I get paid next week. I may have a problem :v:

Waiting is always the hardest part, isn't it?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Oh hell yeah, that'd be awesome! Let me know if it works and if so, lemme know how much you want for it and your PayPal info :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So, managed to get it charged and take it for a quick run before the sun went down. First impressions: It's fast off the line. I took it out to a local parking lot that's a mixture of pavement and loose gravel. On pavement, it just grips and launches with zero issue. On loose gravel, you have to be a bit easy on the throttle from a dead stop, otherwise it will just spin endless donuts. Which is pretty rad in its own right, but it makes moving forward a bit hard to do :v:

Battery life isn't super amazing, but at some point I plan to buy a few spare batteries to mitigate that somewhat. It's incredibly fun, and it handles really well. At speed, it's easy to get the tail end loose and i'm already learning how to drift it a bit. I actually prefer the handling of the Raider to my old 4wd nitro Revo. It's a lot more loose and fun, and I don't have to worry about rolling it with high speed cornering because it's a lot more forgiving.

One interesting thing, the body is held on with Phillips screws instead of the typical body clips. I can't really fault them for that, especially considering I used to lose a couple of clips per run with my old Revo. The screws seem like they'll be a lot more sturdy and hard to fling off should I end up rolling it. I haven't had a chance to take it off any jumps yet, but if the weather is still decent tomorrow I'm gonna possibly take it to my local quarry and thrash it a bit there.

Overall, for a 2wd buggy that cost under $150 after shipping, I have zero complaints. It's exactly what I was hoping it'd be, which is a low-cost basher that I can charge up and fling around when I get bored. I need to try and adjust the steering trim a bit, because as-is it pulls slightly to the right, but otherwise it's perfect for what I wanted. I'm definitely satisfied, it seems like it's gonna be fun to mess with for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

IOC, sounds good! I'll PayPal you tonight with my info attached. I appreciate it man!