Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Looks like he is actually looking for a starter kit, so brushless is probably out.

I assume Traxxas is still a good, cheap brand? So, something like the Rustler, Slash, or Stampede are good choices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Siochain posted:

All 3 are great. Slash is like the default "beat it senseless" basher. Tons of aftermarket support as well.

Thanks! I am really uninformed about the R/C market at large. I'm a huge Losi fan because it was the second (and last) kit I built with my dad when I was a young kid and I had such a great time with it so they are kind of my default go-to.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Replaced the original shock springs in my LST2 with dual rate ones from Raven RC and dumped the old shock fluid for heavier stuff (40wt). Will be headed to a friend's house today for some boardgames and will be running the truck in their yard while we wait for everyone to get there.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there anything I can adjust to keep the front-end of my Losi LST2-E down? Even after the initial acceleration, it looks like it rides too high and often loses grip with the ground.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I love those ATV + Rider bodies. :allears:

I'm guessing Poochie was, in fact, totaled after hitting the earth from that jump?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

an AOL chatroom posted:

Seeing the rider flip all over the handlebars was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Plus, he served as an impact absorber when landings didn't go quite as planned.

I can't remember what happened to the Slash, but he did at least 10 jumps like that. I'm constantly amazed at how much abuse those things can take once they get a few key upgrades.

What are those "key upgrades"? I'm considering getting one in the future since I would like to share the fun, but don't really trust other people (or hell, even myself) to not wreck my LST2-E.

e: speaking of upgrades, does anyone have suggestions on good steering servos for the previously mentioned LST2-E?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For more information, this is the servo I currently have: http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0812

Product Specifications posted:

Size Category: Standard
Type: Digital
Torque: 140 oz-in @ 6.0V
Speed: .18 sec/60 degrees @ 6.0V
Bushing Or Bearing: Bearing
Gear Type: Metal

I am looking at Savox servos right now. This one is probably overkill (it is more than twice as fast as the stock servo I'm using, but is also twice as expensive): http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SB2271SG_Digital_Servo_p/savsb2271sg.htm

Product Specifications posted:

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x38.5
Type: Digital - Brushless
Torque: 208.3 oz-in @ 6.0V
Speed: .085 sec/60 degrees @ 6.0V
Bushing Or Bearing: 2 Ball Bearings
Gear Type: Unique Steel

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 21, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Siochain posted:

Also trees. Trees are a natural predator of RC's. Especially flying ones.
Not that I've got first-hand experience (okay, it was my brother-in-law driving and he turbofucked things, but, hey)

I tried to ramp a tree root a while back. Hit it at an awkward angle while going too fast and hosed up multiple metal plates and rods. On the bright side, I learned a lot about how the kit goes together when fixing it!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
So, uhh, I just realized that I had accidentally been holding back the power in my truck. The transmitter has a throttle travel scale that goes from 0-150% and the default (what I was using) is only 100%. Same thing with the steering. So, now I turn better, too! When I'm not flipping, that is...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Traxxas Slash is also a good one. This is the only one I could find on Amazon.ca that fits your criteria: https://www.amazon.ca/Traxxas-TRA58034-2-2-4Ghz-Battery%252c-Charger%252c/dp/B017A5O7VK/ref=sr_1_20?s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1467990937&sr=1-20

e: The Slash is built so that you can upgrade it to brushless with minimal hassle when you are ready. I think the Stampeded is, too, but not 100% on that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Iznogood posted:

Well at the end of the day I'm the kind of guy that goes over budget to be sure he's happy. No idea if it will be possible but I'll do my best to get the 380$ stampede on amazon. I'll be able to buy more stuff later.

Thanks again for the help!

Anytime! I would definitely do as another poster suggested and make a second battery and a quality charger your first two upgrades. Let us know if you need help picking them out.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Siochain posted:

Solid enough deal. If the batteries are good - ie hold a charge, not "puffy" (aka they should not be swollen), its not too bad at all. Used is a great way to start to :)

Pay very close attention to this post about those LiPo batteries! We don't want your house to burn down or anything.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Iznogood posted:

edit: oh amazon.. No suspension nothing. Guess it time I visit that hobby shop I talked about. Looks like my suspension is not stock because I find nothing that looks like mine on traxxas exploded view.
Mine look very much like that: http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Big_Bore_Shocks_Slash_p/tra5862.htm

If you didn't get the physical manual with the car, see if you can find an online version of it. It should have a parts listing so that you can find exactly the (stock) part you need. If nothing else, it will give you the name of it so you can google that for alternatives.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Your edit sounds like a good idea, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My dad introduced me to the hobby as a kid and I loved it, too. A Tamiya Super Hornet was my first car. It had a mechanical speed control (high, low, brake, reverse iirc) which is seriously lol compared to things out today.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr. Apollo posted:

My dad got me into the hobby too when he bought me a Tamiya Falcon and later a BigWig.

Man, this talk is just bringing back good memories of building that Super Hornet as a 9 or 10 year old with him watching. He wouldn't say much or back-seat build or anything unless I was having trouble or asked him for help (because some things needed the strength that I wasn't capable of). Learned a lot building that thing and enjoyed that part almost as much as running it.

I still remember wrapping the speed control in that black balloon gave me such trouble that I just had him do it. lol He would have loved to see the hobby where it is now since he had a helicopter and boat at one time, as well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IOwnCalculus posted:

RC definitely attracts some... less socially skilled people :v:. I'd argue that attitudes like what you experienced are a big part of why the hobby has a hard time growing.

Sadly, that is true of a lot of niche hobbies. Like one of my favorites, tabletop RPGs.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Congrats!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Iznogood posted:

The difference between rpm and traxxas when I bend a part is night and day. rpm is much sturdier.

For some parts, you may want bendy. It is usually better for something to bend and then go back to normal than for it to snap.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Iznogood posted:

I hear the same argument about aluminum upgrades. Not doubting it one second but where would I find a list of what is best for each parts? Cause I have no idea what I should or should not upgrade. I thought everything RPM was good. And aluminium for some things like shock caps?

But yeah a list of what is better for what would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

Someone more experienced than me, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be a good idea to follow the example of the servo saver. It is better for a cheap part to snap, break, and force the car to stop working than for it to handle the abuse and exert more pressure on the more expensive parts behind it eventually causing them to break.

I don't have enough knowledge myself to tell you what parts those should be. IIRC, the main chassis should be a little flexible just due to the forces acting on it will twist it and pull it in different directions at once.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Glad you found someone local that can and will help you out. Having someone to do that with you in person makes things so much easier.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Losi typically makes good stuff. They are one of the top brands.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

slidebite posted:

Anyone try VRC Pro?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/335070/

Also, is there any recommendations for USB RC controller?

If you are ok with a console type controller and just want maximum flexibility and customization, the Steam Controller is actually pretty good. I've been using one for various games for a few months now so can answer (most) questions you may have about it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

You Am I posted:

It rained

:v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That does look really nice.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kuffs posted:

I really like how this one turned out

That looks amazing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I can't really help you out too much with most of your questions, but a quality radio will let you set what the max throttle is, so you won't have to worry about getting a motor that is too fast.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Keep talking about the amazing truck. I enjoy reading each of the posts!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Hah, I appreciate the work that is going into your truck. It's looking great.

Don't forget that Prime subscription comes with free access to their video and music streaming services and their book service. If you watch streams on Twitch.tv, it also gives you access to premium membership and a refreshing, 1-month sub that you can give to any streamer. There's other stuff, too, but Prime is good for more than just free 2-day shipping now. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, that post about the Tamiya budget kit is really great. I enjoyed it a lot. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Losi Mini 8IGHT on MassDrop for $200. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/losi-mini-8ight-1-14th-scale-rtr-buggy

Seems like it comes with everything you need except a battery charger. Includes 4500Kv brushless (but no sensor) motor and a LiPo compatible ESC, but only includes a 1100mAh Ni-MH battery.

Seems to be right at that price point to introduce someone to the hobby with a good kit at a relatively low price.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kuffs posted:

The TRX-4 (new Traxxas scale crawler) is really good. Lots of great detail that is generally uncommon in Traxxas vehicles. Good design. Legendary Traxxas electronics. The remote lockers are completely unprecedented at this price point. And it performs quite well. If anyone is wanting to get started in scale crawling, this is the truck to have.

Good to hear! That will probably be my next purchase. I think my LST brushless is a bit too much truck for me and I've never tried crawling before.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Man, this video of a guy stress testing it on a trail is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H63hF1F1fLo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Koth posted:

So does RTR mean the car/truck comes fully assembled? I must admit, I don't like that at all. One most fun things about RC was the building!

Yeah. Most kits come that way now. I agree about the building being very fun, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the writeup! The only part I'm kind of intimidated by is needing the drill bit as I don't own a drill of any kind.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Sourcing parts is a big deal, btw. Things WILL break, even on the most durable kits.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That's a really cool video!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PYROxSYCO posted:

Buying a Traxxas 1/10 4WD Stampede. First time user, what are some things to get squared away? Batteries? Chargers?

I also made a thread on Hobbies and DIY thread since I would have not guessed it was in here.

Check to see if it already comes with a battery pack and charger. You will want a second battery pack, though, so that you can run one while the other is charging.

Things will break. And when they do, you will need to be able to disassemble/reassemble the car. Unless someone here has a good suggestion, see if the place you are buying the truck from has a toolkit for sale.

I don't remember if the engine that comes with the Stampede is brushless or not. If it is not brushless, you may need some special oil/lubricant for it.

Eventually, you will need to change out the shock oil but that will probably be way down the road. Same with greasing the gears.

A useful thing when working on the truck is a stand with a top that rotates.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Those of you into scale crawlers should check out the Big Squid 1.9 Shootout that we just completed. It was by far the most fun thing I've gotten to take part in since being involved in BSRC. It was a real fight, and all 6 trucks actually kicked a ton of rear end. Driving these back-to-back-to-back etc ad nauseum was really interesting as you could really feel the differences in design, even if they seem small.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/1-9-scale-crawler-shootout

Yo, this was good and something I was interested in a couple months ago. If I do decide to jump in, I'll probably get the Redcat.

Or maybe say "screw it" and get the Traxxas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I've been contemplating getting a fun scale crawler lately as i realized I don't have the room to run my Losi LST like I would want. Or maybe I should just get a slower stadium truck or something.