Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nerobro posted:

This is the right reaction. I own one. it's perfect for "welp, I need 5 minutes of wheel time in a dirty house"

I've been out of the game for so long because I just don't have enough space to store or run R/C cars, but maybe these small scale ones would be fine. I'm also considering getting a micro R/C for house fun. I need to go see what is out there for micro's so I can compare them to the SCX24 and figure out which would be best for me.

---

Elysium posted:

Yeah I think it’s kind of a tossup there. He might love the one that looks like a real Jeep, but then again, the other one looks like a “Monster Truck” so it’s hard to say. I was just kind of thinking what’s more likely to be able to drive over whatever little toys he makes a course out of.

Might be worth talking to your sibling about which they think the kid might prefer, tbh. Hopefully they know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nerobro posted:

Everything you can post!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My partner’s family got me the SCX24 Ford Bronco for Christmas after hearing me talk excitedly about it and getting back into r/c. Battery is still charging but I can’t wait to try it out! Everyone was impressed with how much engineering is in this thing. lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Speaking of bashers, what is a good, low-maintenance basher for fairly tall grass (like 3 inches)? Strong after-market support would be a plus, but not necessary. Being somewhat stable while taking turns on steep inclines/hills would be a plus, too.

I've been having lots of fun with my little SCX24 crawler, but it has gotten me craving for something a bit bigger and a bit faster. I owned a brushless Losi LST previously and that was way too fast for what I'm wanting for right now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

GOD IS BED posted:

I love my Traxxas Hoss for bashing. Tears through grass up to a foot tall. It did require me to upgrade the servo and driveshafts before it became "low maintenance" though.

I looked that up and it looks neat! However, this one looks truly incredible to me because the scale model effect on it is just doing something that tickles my brain in all the right ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOOn09WkG_w

e: i might go with the far cheaper and slower 2WD (and not quite as scale-accurate) version, though: https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/58094-8-raptor

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 25, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

GOD IS BED posted:

The Raptor is indeed awesome. It's basically a Slash with better apprearance. I would recommend a 4x4 version if you want to drive it in grass, the 2wd version of the Slash cannot handle anything but the shortest of shrubbery.

Thanks! I figure I could always put a throttle limiter on the ESC or radio to stop it from going quite so dangerously fast. lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nerobro posted:

As bad as slash is, EuroTruck is good. Screwing up a chassis with intent, and giving it slippy tires makes for great racing.

What are some EuroTruck bashers you would recommend?

I'm not tied to Traxxas (though their headquarters is within a half hour drive of me, which would make dealing with them easy). I do value the basher looking somewhat realistic to a real vehicle, even if not to the extent of that F-150 Raptor I linked earlier. If it comes as a kit instead of RTR, that is actually preferred.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

antimatt posted:

All of the EuroTrucks are made by Tamiya, based of their entry-level shaft drive on-road kits.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/radio-control/cars/

Thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Dammit, now I'm looking at the DT02 Nissan Titan Truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7iCOmT8q8

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, the SCX24 platform is great! The only complaint I have had that makes me want to go a bit bigger is that it can struggle in tall grass that doesn't bend much under the truck's weight.

Also, it is a crawler, so if you want kickin' rad dirt tails and stuff, it ain't gonna give you that. It is incredible for what it is, however. There are hop-ups and upgrades for days. Both performance parts and also parts to make it more like a scale model that you can drive (like working winches).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Got it outside today, a local park has a big old cliff in it and I found plenty of stuff to crawl around on along the base. I can see how a larger scale would be nice for doing random stuff outside, theres lots of natural scale features that are just a lil too big to bridge or get a tire up onto with the 1/24 scale but I had a lot of fun.

I was a little curious how to know when the battery is dead, knowing you dont want to discharge lipos too far. After a while the motor stopped responding until I power cycled it, I'm assuming this was a low voltage cutoff in the ESC? Last time I was into RC it was like a decade ago and my ESC had a low battery beeper.

Assuming you are using the stock radio that came with the SCX, the light on the radio will go from green to yellow/amber when the truck's battery gets low.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Speaking of SCX24, mine flips over a bit too easy for my liking and I am looking into getting some optional parts to lower the center of gravity a bit. Which of these would make the biggest difference? They were listed under optional parts for the specific version of the SCX24 that I have (AXI00006T1 - 2021 Ford Bronco 4WD Truck Brushed RTR) so should be compatible.

I am also open to third-party hop-ups, too.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't know SCX24 hopup parts were a thing.

From what I understand, it has one of the best third-party hop-up parts support of any platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
No, not yet. Had some other expenses that came first.