Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hello everyone

i am new to R/C cars and am building a nitro engine for the first time. Specifically this one: https://www.stirlingkit.com/collections/best-seller/products/otto-motor-fs-l200ac-diy-4-stroke-2-cylinder-engine-kit-that-runs

I am building it right now, and am at the stage where I have the pistons in their cylinders attached to the crankshaft. I have 3 questions, they are all sort of related to each other:

1). There is absolutely no sort of torque spec or anything like that. Everything works smoothly, when I turn the crank by hand the pistons move as they should. I don't know how hard it should be to turn the shaft by hand or how "smoothly" it should go. As it is right now, it is fairly difficult to turn with your fingers, but possible. Should I loosen it, and if so how?

2). The instructions said that the piston rings were pre-installed in the cylinder bore, but the piston rings were not. I put them around the pistons by hand, and using the socket guide they fit into the cylinder. Is this ok? Is it like real cars where I need to precisely measure the piston ring gap, or in R/C cars is it ok if I just put them on and put them in the cylinder? If I do need to re-do them and measure some sort of gap, how would I do that? (it's so small!)

3). There is no instructions for any sort of oil. Do these engines not need oil?

Thank you everyone. Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm having a ton of fun building it tho and I'm hoping if I can get it working to put it in an R/C car and take it to my local R/C track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you both! That was incredibly helpful. Building is now resumed, I'll post some updates when I get it finished!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

do yall have any recs for "solo challenges"?

My work has odd hours and Im on call a lot so I cant get to the track often, I'm looking for something to do with my RC cars alone that offers a challenge to overcome.

I built a little track and did time trials on it, but I got bored pretty fast.

I love the idea of RC tractor-pulling as i like the irl sport and adjusting a RC tractor to see how much I can pull sounds like a solo good time, but they are extremely expensive and the main shop that sells stuff for RC tractor pulling seems temporarily closed.

Any ideas? Open to anything really.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that is absolutely badass! i appreciate the suggestion very much but I shouldve clarified im not into drifting

Is RC drag racing a thing? I was thinking of building a nitro dragster because I feel an electric one would be pretty boring.

Im definitely a person who enjoys working on the cars more than driving them but my weird brain finds it hard to build for building sake, hence why RC drag racing interested me if thats even a thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

T1g4h posted:

Hey I got good news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TgKkx3rmiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPi415OmAM

It totally is a thing and it's as cool as you imagine. They even make scale Christmas Trees!

Hell yeah this is exactly what i was looking for thank you so much!!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rock crawling? Easy enough to gather some rocks and obstacles then re-stack them once you've mastered it.

thats also a great idea i dont have a lot of experience with crawling. Gonna go with the nitro for now but crawling looks like my 4yo nephew would love it so ima look into that too. thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mattfl posted:

I posted here a few years ago about a 3d printed Jeep Wrangler I did and I just finished another fully 3d printed r/c car this time an amazing 240z model.

https://imgur.com/gallery/olSRDOQ

that is absolutely insane, stunning work! Do you have another car youre doing after one? id love to see the wrangler too if you got a link

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Do I need anything else to install this on my stock SCX24 (besides tools which I have)?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/furite...2306%2fp1505128

Do I need to upgrade my battery?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thank you!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hello RC friends,

The hobby is quickly consuming me. I have a few questions, this thread has been very helpful in the past as always it is greatly appreciated!

First up I have this 1RC Eastern Dirt Mod Car

The battery (230mAh, 6 volt, 5 cell, NiMH), comes with a charger but says "charge it for X minutes and if it starts getting hot or smoky that's bad". Does anyone know if there is a charger for this battery (or an alternative battery that also works), that comes with something like your more typical "the charger will let you know if it's charging/when it's charged?" charger?

My 2nd question relates to my SXC24 I am building:

I'm building a "puller:" SXC24, except it's more of a way for me to learn about the platform by doing fun stuff to it and seeing how it effects the pulling. I'm not competing or anything. I have these new shocks and wheels as you can see, got my shock fluid all ready too, all seemed good for a shock/wheel/tire replacement, but I can't figure out what that thing is below the shocks in the picture? It came with all the other parts, I didn't order it and I'm not sure what to do with it or if it's needed. Also, am I missing any components for a wheel swap?

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 23, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

GOD IS BED posted:

I can answer your battery question, but not the other. NiMH is a pretty stable chemistry, so your super-simple charger will work fine as long as it doesn't overcharge. If you want something better, I recommend a balance charger so you can charge lithium batteries later. I got a Tenergy one from amazon for around $40 and it will charge almost any kind of hobby battery. It also has a voltage sensor, so it will cut power when a NiMH battery is fully charged. You can almost certainly find a lithium replacement battery for your car, but you will need said balance charger, and a charging bag/box.

If I am understanding correctly a balance charger can charge both lithium and nimh? Do you have a link to the one you got?

thank you for your help!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I know nitro is loud, it’s messy, the engines are picky and can be short lived, they’re a pain in the rear end to start and break in and adjust and tune.

But god dammit if they don’t look cool as hell.

My inner child who grew up when battery cars were a complete joke is still deeply impressed by nitro cars.

It's funny everything you hate about nitros is everything I love about em, but im def a person who likes working on their rc cars more than driving them too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

as a big drag racing fan its p much essential to have nitro and gas for rc drag racing. You can do it with electric of course but it just sucks the magic and fun out of it completely.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im a crawling dude so all the racing ive seen is carpet/clay. What's the alternative? Just bc ive only ever seen those 2 is there like a diff type of dirt racing thats more like irl dirt? bc that would be awesome

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

The tracks I used to race on outside of a carpet oval were real backyard specials. Think like BMX track looseness, or there's something like this I found which looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OskaaUJTGs

Look at how they're really grooving up the tracks with even old Tamiya stuff. Much more bumpy. As goofy and slow as these cars are, it looks a lot more welcoming to people than some clay track where the electric cars are clearing triple jumps with ease at national events.

IDK Maybe I'm being too "old man yelling at cloud" but like there have been multiple articles of people saying that Off Road is dying because of how fast the cars are/how ugly the cars are/how clique-y it is now.

No, I'm 26 years old and fairly new to the hobby and that video you linked looks 1000x more fun than the carpet/clay ones Ive seen irl. Ive been to them and they were fun but didnt make me wanna race in RC, it actually kinda made me more happy to stick with crawling. The video you linked makes me wanna RACE!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Traction is a problem in .. all of american racing right now. Nearly all. Traction is so high that cars are being optimized for LCG as opposed to having the chassis work. The exception is people running in actual parking lots, or outdoor asphalt tracks.

In the old days, off road was on "dirty" surfaces. ~actual dirt~. Mini-pins could dig in. Long pins were an option sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JCPlLtt_yg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYYjUk17IE

That's exciting, and fun to watch. The modern stuff.. not so much.

what does LCG mean in this context?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sloppy posted:

That looks amazing. I have 0 interest in any kind of flat/hard surface racing, but I'd love something like the old-school Offroad video game. I want a field of TRX and Axial crawlers flooring it through mud pits and poo poo, intentionally knocking each other off edges, etc.

I have a SCX24 chassis I've been trying to decide what to do with...a racing SCX24 has me excited even if I just build a little dirt track in my backyard for it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i always thought offroad meant dirt, what is on road? Asphalt?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Speaking of SCX24s, I got into RC cars by getting myself one. I call it the "truck of theseus" because at this point the only thing I have left to replace on it is the motor and battery/ESC.

But it made me realize I have a few questions:

1) My controller has 3 modes on it (Low, Medium, High). Is the increase in power an increase in voltage coming from my battery? So "high" is putting out more voltage, therefore making my car go faster?

2) I am upgrading my motor to a 50t injora one, do I need to upgrade my battery too from a stock one? If so, is there a way to calculate which battery works best with which motor?

3) Does a new motor require a new ESC (im using the stock ESC), or require me to make adjustments to the current ESC? Or it just a "unhook the old one, hook up the new one" thing?

Thank you!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nerobro posted:

The controller just changes the endpoint for the ESC. Low is going to have the throttle travel limited to say.. 50%, medium? might be 70%. high, will be 100% on the ESC. It doesn't actually change anything "on the car".

Batteries, motors, aren't.. really... related. You'll see benifits with better batteries across the board (that is higher C rating, or higher capacity with the same C rating) With hotter motors, you can generally run worse batteries and still have a good time.

You may need a new ESC, depending on the amp draw of the new motor. ESC's are limited by the amps they can carry, and supposing your pinion is small enough, and the actual load on the motor is reasonable, even stock ESCs do just fine with lower turn motors.

Hey thanks for this post! Very helpful. I think I gotta do some research on the electronics side of it, I'm pretty good at figuring out the physical parts but the electronics have me scratching my brain. Is there a good kinda "begginers guide" or primer to modern RC electronics more in depth?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ah ok thank you! I've seen vids of people tweaking settings on their computers or phones like like race engineers for RC cars, but that mustve been some sort of specialized thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Oh, you sure can.

You buy a car, you drive a car. There's a long way between "driving the car" and "being able to feel the difference in punch settings, motor timing, expoential curves.."

This gets.. really.. really.. long. I wouldn't concern yourself with programmable servos, and ESCs. Most racing locks you down to a blinky mode anyway....

What you DO need to concern yourself with, is buying a good servo (Something with a better than 0.1 second 60deg time) and a computer radio. Basic radios "might" dual rates. You want endpoint adjustment and exponential curves. Those are things you will ~absolutely~ be able to feel, and things you can adjust and have make sense.

Truth be told, I don't want an ESC with lots of options. That locks me "to that ESC". And... i'm cheap, and I want to easily be able to swap hardware if I do something dumb like hook an ESC up backwards.

A lot of car/chassis tuning is done with radios. r/c car steering response is frequently quite non-linear, so a a descending rate exponential curve is surprisingly useful.

Braking is frequently benefited by expo curves as well. Throttle can be if you're running a hot setup, but for most classes linear is fine there.

Edit: And, if you're doing it right, you'll have a notebook, and youll be taking notes and doign real race team stuff. I did.... I tracked every heat, and changes I made between races. It helped me, a lot. Also, "real books" about "real cars" are real information, and really work for r/c cars. caster, camber, spring rate, sway bars, toe, antisquat, antidive, everything translates. It just happens MUCH faster at smaller scales

Edit again: R/C cars are typically setup to push a bit, because "controlling a slide" or "neutral" is hard to maintain when your butt isn't acutally in the car. Touring cars will have spools or very tight diff settings up front. RWD cars are setup with either much wider tires out back, or setups that throw out traction up front to keep the push going.

.................. God I love racing. R/C lets you really get into it, for the cost of a set of tires to go to a trackday.

This was basically the exact right up I was lookong for! Incredibly helpful thank you! I love to tinker and tweak stuff so this part of it really appeals to me. Im looking into computer radios now, do you have recs for a good one or are they more car-specific?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Its actually the perfect begginer platform and advanced too. It was my first crawler and now im building a second one! Can't reccomend them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's also great for little indoor courses I built for it using rocks I found outside, and I like to take it to my local state park and crawl around. Its so small you can basically take it anywhere and have fun without annoying people. If you take it outside though beware of people walking their dogs they will try to bite it!!

If you like the tinkering/tweaking side its also fantastic for that, since its small parts are relatively cheap and so its not the end of the world if you break something. I bought a stock one and now there's barely any original parts left because I had so much fun upgrading it (although thats not to say the stock needs upgrades, its great and a ton of fun out of the box!)

Ive been thinking about building an SC10 now and getting into a bigger scale but the SCX24 will always be my first and favorite RC!