Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Im new to r/c car world. I just ordered the losi mini t that'll ship on Oct.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-18-mini-t-2.0-2wd-stadium-truck-brushless-rtr/LOS01019.html

I bought 2 spare batteries from the drop-down.. now I'm wondering should I ditch the usb charger for something better?
I plan to get a charge bag.. do those silver lunch bags really hold up to a battery explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Price range is going to be important.
I picked up a losi mini t 2.0. It has all you need in the box, and has been great fun.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is that the AVC kicking in?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm new to all this, and wondered if I have this right. Can ya'll tell me, would I be able to order this fpv set up :
Nano cam/tx combo
EV800D Goggles

and plug it into the aux 3 on the ecs of the SCX24 for some FPV mini crawling? It seems like it'd be as easy as that but that also makes me feel like I'm missing stuff.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Enos Shenk posted:

Maybe. Sometimes the servo channels on receivers are rather current limited. Personally I'd go with a basic BEC like this You'd just splice the input into your ESC battery connection, and it outputs a nice solid high current 5v for you to run your FPV gear. Without the BEC you could brownout your receiver (Where it can't supply enough oomph to run everything). Admittedly that's not as big of a deal on the ground as opposed to an FPV plane, but it's still not good.

I took my crawler out to conquer the snow trails behind my house. I really need to unfuck the body, the odd angle between the bed and cab looks terrible in this picture. It's mostly because the Sendero body on an Enduro kit chassis the chassis mounts don't quite line up right.

Rad. That was my concern, but the manual didn't really say what its output was.
This seems dumb but I'm giddy at the thought lol

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Enos Shenk posted:

Maybe. Sometimes the servo channels on receivers are rather current limited. Personally I'd go with a basic BEC like this You'd just splice the input into your ESC battery connection, and it outputs a nice solid high current 5v for you to run your FPV gear. Without the BEC you could brownout your receiver (Where it can't supply enough oomph to run everything). Admittedly that's not as big of a deal on the ground as opposed to an FPV plane, but it's still not good.

So, back to this. Between this and the drone thread.. My thoughts are between 2 set ups.

Around $300. Skyzone Cobra X + Runcam Splitcam nano 4 / vtx
Around $160. EV800D + TBS Unify Nano/cam combo

I want to be able to plug it into both an Axial 1:24 SCX24 crawler or the losi 1:18 mini t. And also, since its nano think i could also strap it onto my DJI Mini with a 1s (100g payload) for FPV for funsies.i would like having the 4k video for youtube for friends, but i have no youtube star aspersions.

It seems going sky zone gets me the best analog but should I just go cheaper, decide if I like it, then get digital and sell? It seems the skyzones are great but also close to the next upgrade.

Either route I'd be looking to add the BEC.

Man soo many options.... Leaning towards going ev800d and see how into it i go?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone know of a good kit of battery connectors? I went to HobbyTown and they didn't have anything.
I just had to buy 4 packs of things to get what I was after.. when if I just had a box full of random connectors I'd be able to clean poo poo up. I looked around GetFPV with no luck.

I got my little FPV Crawler set up and working. Right now I'm using a seperate 1s battery to power the camera. I bought the BEC suggested up thread but I still need to make a Y connector.
Also, do the connector ends need to be soldered? I'm used to making my own ethernet cables. Do they crimp like that?

I'll get a DVR video tomorrow of it in action to share!
Ended up with : Axial SCX24 C10 + Skyzone Cobra S + Wolfwhoop WT03 camera. Waiting on some Foxeer Lollipop 2.5dBi antenna to get a better signal. But I'm quite excited.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

deong posted:

Ended up with : Axial SCX24 C10 + Skyzone Cobra S + Wolfwhoop WT03 camera. Waiting on some Foxeer Lollipop 2.5dBi antenna to get a better signal. But I'm quite excited.

Oh also, this cam/vtx gets hot as gently caress. I've googled for a heatsink, but didn't see anything right off. Any suggestions for chilling it out?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What up fellas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPoNJP6S9w

Here is it driving in the open/house. I'm beyond excited to dick with this.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, this makes me want to get some sort of FPV setup for my SCX10 :v:

Speaking of! The weather has been really nice lately, which gave me an excuse to go to my favorite nature trail and play around in the creek.
I genuinely cannot wait to get a new body and some aftermarket bumpers and lights for this thing :allears:

Its rad as hell and a hoot to play with. A buddy has printed a camera tray for me. Once I got that, I'll be able to swap from the SCX24 -> Losi mini T easily. I think for the FPV setup I'm about $200 in. Could have gone with EV800D for about 70 less I'd guess. Everyone should do this.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Spatule posted:

I have negotiated a part of the yard for a 1:24 crawler course with the wife. It'll be roughly the size of 12 to 14 washing machines.
Any cool/unusual obstacles I could build? I have plenty of material of all sort lying around. I was thinking Tomb Raider - type obstacles, like swinging blades, a rotating bridge and the like.

This is a strange unit of measure...

I'd just grab some rail ties and do rock piles. It'd be fun if the rock features could rock/roll to make placement tricky.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Kvlt! posted:

Any ideas? Open to anything really.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1zNdClsXUn/
youtube link for non-gramers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shorts?B3vBvMR9nxw

deong fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't know SCX24 hopup parts were a thing.

:shepspends:
As mentioned, ya it's got hop-ups...