Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Can someone help me out with this? I traded a guy for an awesome 2WD Slash tonight, and as a bonus, he threw in a random RS4 chassis. I'm thinking of turning it into a drift car, but I can't quite identify the model to look for parts. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

krushgroove posted:

That's an HPI Sprint 2. Not an RS4 at all, which came out before that (and has recently been revived with the RS4 Sport 3 which is shaft drive thus totally different).

Ah, thanks. That explains a lot.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The owner of a local motocross track saw us tooling around the parking lot and said we should come pay him a visit some time. How can you say no to an offer like that?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

So many awesome new products coming out. It's a good time to be in RC.

Here's a happy little accident of a shot from this weekend. Before raking (ok, mowing) the leaves in the backyard, I decided to rip through them for a bit with the Savage Flux HP.

Ozmiander posted:

RC wheeling is pretty awesome guys.

Yeah it is! That looks like Minnewaska. Were you at Minnewaska?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Wife: "Oh hey, it's snowing"
Me: "Nice!"
Wife: "... are you happy because you're going to go play with your toy truck in the driveway?"

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 13, 2016

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I painted a new body for my Savage Flux today. More things needs Frankenstrat paint jobs.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Hope you don't mind some parking lot bashing photos. As long as the weather keeps up, this will be a weekly thing.

The regular ramp had gotten easy, so we started driving it around with an SCX10

The Broken Wheel Crew

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 18, 2016

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Another installment of Parking Lot Night photos!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Kibner posted:

Those parking lot photos are amazing. Please keep them coming!

Did any of the cars break on landing from that big ramp?

Thanks! A few bits fell out here and there, but nothing major. Thing is, as long as you hit it straight on, you've got plenty of time in the air to rotate so you'll land correctly. Also, Slashes are pretty resilient once you do a few basic upgrades.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Another Monday Night parking lot bashfest

GoodIdea.jpg

A Wraith, believe it or not

whoops

oh god oh god oh god

An HPI Savage Flux HP with Kawasaki ATV rider body

Note: Poochie died on the way back to his home planet

balls swingin'

big soft ones

fin

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Kibner posted:

I love those ATV + Rider bodies. :allears:

I'm guessing Poochie was, in fact, totaled after hitting the earth from that jump?

Seeing the rider flip all over the handlebars was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Plus, he served as an impact absorber when landings didn't go quite as planned.

I can't remember what happened to the Slash, but he did at least 10 jumps like that. I'm constantly amazed at how much abuse those things can take once they get a few key upgrades.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Kibner posted:

What are those "key upgrades"? I'm considering getting one in the future since I would like to share the fun, but don't really trust other people (or hell, even myself) to not wreck my LST2-E.

e: speaking of upgrades, does anyone have suggestions on good steering servos for the previously mentioned LST2-E?

Off the top of my head, aluminum shocks, RPM A-Arms, and a heavy-duty motor mount.

Bashing in a paved parking lot is pretty much guaranteed to result in some wreckage. There's always a curb or light post waiting to jump out in front of you, and asphalt is very unforgiving.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

It's a cute car and I'd love to do crazy things with it.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The plan was to go to the local motocross track today with some friends, but apparently some people who bought brand new houses next to said motocross track complained about the noise and are in the process of having it turned into a kale farm. I'm not even kidding. Still found some fun on a flat stretch of dirt (mud) road.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Thanks for bumping this. I just realized that I never posted pictures of my Savage Flux HP. Last summer, it took on a lamppost a top speed and lost. I got halfway through fixing the damage, got distracted and then lost interest. Luckily, I have a friend who is basically The Savage Whisperer. He tore it all completely down, replaced what needed replacing, upgraded where it made sense, and dialed in the suspension so it can turn and take bumps without getting all wonky. He also put together and painted the Bronco body for me. Happy to report that it runs better than new.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

EdsTeioh posted:

Wow, I didn't even know we had an RC thread. I'm thinking about grabbing a fun monster truck kit for my son and I to mess around with and have my eyes on Tamiya's Lunchbox re-issue. Anyone here gotten one?

That might have been me. I had a lot of fun building it. Didn't rush things, and spent a few nights assembling bits while watching tv.

It's a riot to drive, especially once you start putting modern electronics in it. I finally ended up breaking part of mounts on the diff case, but that was after launching it in a parking lot over the course of the summer. I highly recommend them.

edit: lol

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 26, 2018

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

an scx10 II is a perfectly acceptable first crawler for a 4,5 YO right? Right. Asking for a friend.

Absolutely. Lots of fun, and short of driving it off a cliff or seriously abusing the servo, it's damned near bulletproof.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

We're back at the parking lot

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Got a few people together today to play around in the snow. There was a 4WD Slash as well, but it didn't last long enough to get pictures before eating its driveshafts.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

The rereleased LunchBox will pull a wheelie forever from a stop if you floor it. It even comes with a wheelie bar.

Can confirm the Lunchbox is fun as hell with a modern ESC and lipo battery.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Heading into a couple of vacation days next week, and have myself a nice little pile of parts ready for a Tamiya TT-02 build. My helper is *very* excited to bite the antenna

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Wow, thanks folks!! I’ll grab some of that grease before digging in on Monday. I already ordered the high speed gear, the upgraded bearings, better shocks, and a few other aluminum bits. It’s just for loving around on pavement with friends, but we’ll see how the stock tires work. Right now, I’m just getting the bodywork out of the way. Those little “fangs” in the grille and along the bottom are a pain to mask off.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Mostly done with my TT-02 build. I went with something close to Ford's "Grabber Blue" and kept the decals to a minimum, except around the grilles and windows. It's got a Novak 13.5 sensored/brushless motor with a cheap hobbywing ESC. Quick but controllable on 2s, and I'm loving the way it looks. Definitely recommend the kit for someone looking for an intermediate/advanced build, or a family project. Also, thank you antimatt for pointing out the shock/upright thing, I filed those down during assembly and now it's all smooth.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Did it come with the light kit?

Nope, that was just a $6 ebay kit I had leftover in my parts drawer. The headlights and taillights are actually two-part, with the body part being left clear, and separate molded pieces with the stickers on the inside. I just reamed out holes for the headlights on the inner pieces, couldn't figure out a good way to do the 3-segmented taillights.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Finished up my Orlandoo Hunter OH35P01 build. Definitely going to go back and weather the bumpers and tidy up the electronics when I get a chance, but like others have said, it's pretty capable for a tiny little thing.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Snowmankilla posted:

How was the build? I have heard they are a bit of a bitch. I like building more then running, but have been scared off of those the 20 times I have looked at them.

I enjoyed it. It's nicely set up, so building it didn't require too many finger acrobatics, except for maybe the shocks. The instructions are done pretty well, although I don't remember seeing any guidance on where to put the electronics. I really like the way the links are set up, and the plastic castings are really precise. I did have to build one of the diffs a few times to get the axles to slide in without feeling like the whole thing was going to break in half, but overall, no drama.

You definitely need a clean well-lit place, and I'd also recommend getting something like this to keep the various types of screws straight (the reference images in the manual don't match) and a good set of small Phillips head screwdrivers, as well as a durable/comfortable 0.9mm hex driver. The ones they include are frustrating to work with. There's also a number of place where you have to drill a pilot hole for threaded bits, and the reamer they give you is way too big, so a teeny tiny drill bit would probably also be a good thing to have. I ended up having to CA glue a few parts that were too loose.

All told, I probably spent about 7-9 hours putting it together, and 1.5 of those hours were painting. Soldering the SMD bulbs was also no joy, but I was prepared for that thanks to Ambihelical Hexnut and it turned out to not be so bad. They posted a bunch of pictures of their build over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125553&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=135#post506423225

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Yeah, there’s a gyro somewhere in there that’s set backwards. Can make for some interesting times.

It sounds like your diffs are just doing diff things. When they’re on the ground, that behavior makes a lot more sense.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The Arrma stuff is definitely where it's at right now for big bashers. I love my Savage Flux, but some of the parts are getting harder and more expensive to find, and I'm only a few more major breakages away from giving it to a friend for parts.

I lucked out recently and got permission to use an empty storage facility for RC stuff this winter. Apparently because of COVID, a nearby orchard didn't harvest as much, so these huge rooms with concrete floors are going (mostly) un-used. We've been popping over and using the area for drifting and it's been some of the best fun of 2020. Lighting sucks, but once I drag a few LEDs in there, I'll snap some video to share.

In the meantime, here's the product of a little photoshoot I put together for a friend's weird rally/drift/basher machine.

and the aforementioned Savage Flux XL doing stuff in the snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Translucent metallic red looks amazing. I'd go with a yellow wing and wheels and call it a tribute to Hot Dog Stand windows color scheme