Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I broke out my Stampede VXL a few nights ago to bash in the snow. I haven't run it for a few months and I discovered that my old NiMH battery is poo poo now. I wanna step up to lipo but I don't have a lot of money to spend right now. Any recommendations on a decent, cheap charger and lipo?

I'm not picky on battery capacity or brand name. Just has to have a traxxas plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

dreesemonkey posted:

Well it's a long time in the making but I just got an invoice paid and decided to blow all of it and then some on my first hobby grade RC. My paypal account is smoking but I got:

- Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL
- 2x 2S 20C 5000mah Venom lipos
- Traxxas EZ peak charger

I had wanted a slash for the longest time, and still prefer the looks, but I think the extra ground clearance and larger tires will be better for me since I have no interest in racing. I was going to go with 2WD but 4x4 wasn't that much more and I didn't want to regret not getting it.

Now to play the waiting game for everything to show up :(

You made the right choice my friend. I bought the 2wd Stampede VXL two summers ago. You're gonna have so much fun you won't believe it. My 2wd is pretty much unstoppable at speed and I haven't even sprung for Lipo yet. First thing you should do is take it to the park and grin maniacally as you learn to drift it around the ballpark. The rooster tail of dust is a thing of beauty.

I hope you have a hobby shop close by though. When you start to break poo poo, and you will, the wait for replacement parts is agonizing. Don't cheap out on parts either. The small premium for RPM brand replacements is well worth it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Backyard bashing is fun, but find a nice construction site or a bmx track. Some of the parks near me have nice rocky trails to bang around on and a good sandy ballfield is fun for sliding around the bases and making some impressive dust clouds. I try to keep my Stampede in my trunk and ready to roll just in case I see something fun to bash on.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
My Stampede VXL's cheapo battery was barely alive and my charger actually burst into flames last week. I dropped a little cash on a nice Dynamite ultra light charger and an Onyx 4000m 2s Lipo. All the things that charger can do for the price is unreal. A fresh Lipo has done wonders waking up my tired old truck too.

The old girl is back and faster than ever. Now the high speed parts destroying crash timer has begun anew :(

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

dreesemonkey posted:

I was out with my friend's last night and I tried a 3s on my 4x4 vxl. While letting one of my friend's drive it, he cartwheel-of-deathed it and broke my wheelie bar. Fun times! Was pretty quick on 3s, felt like a dog going back to my 2s pack, haha...

I had a 2s pack before and an ancient rear end slow charger. I thought I should have been getting more juice because it wasn't dramatically faster than my old NiMH packs. Either my charger or my lipo pack was poo poo cause its almost uncontrollably fast now. I can't imagine what a 3s would do. The tires balloon out ridiculously as it is.

I had a scare yesterday. I was out bashing and then heard some nasty grinding and the truck stopped. I thought for sure I tore up the diff. Turns out the set screw on the pinion gear backed out. Runs like a raped ape again after some minor surgery.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

illcendiary posted:

I bought a SPC Racing LiPo for my Traxxas 4X4 VXL around this time last year, and when I pulled it out of my storage box recently, it was really swollen. I tossed it out and now I'm in the market for a new LiPo. Any recommendations? I don't mind budget options, and I'm definitely looking for 2S instead of 3S. I don't really have enough space around me to get enough out of a 3S.

I got the Duratrax Onyx 2s 4000mah a couple of weeks ago for my 2wd stampede. With the vxl components its pants shittingly fast. Between it wanting to pull the front end up constantly and the tires ballooning I think my truck is about as fast as it can practically be.

There's a nice new charger on the cheap too.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN4103

Ive had great results with it so far. drat fine price too.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

krushgroove posted:

Just the fact you even HAVE a retro monster truck class tells us your area has a shitload of RC action. Fantastic :)

I'd like to join the retro monster truck club. I have my old Tamiya mud blaster mouldering away on a shelf. It's basically a Blackfoot with a Subaru brat body. Its rocking ball bearings and the old school slot machine motor. I just need to not be lazy and rebuild the old MSC and it'll be good to go.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I broke out the stampede for a little bashing today. Its been a few weeks so I cleaned it up a bit and decided to throw the beat rear end stock body back on. Ever since I got a lipo for this thing its been a smile machine.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
That King Hauler kit looks like so much fun to build. I had a blast painting and cutting out the decals for my Stampedes Raptor body today. A Tamiya kit like that looks like tons of fun.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
You guys make my basher stampede look like kids stuff. I did just upgrade to a 3s 5000mah lipo and put a neat looking raptor body on it.

Its a beast now. It'll hold a wheelie for as long as I can keep the trigger down. I've already broken a few things just getting used to the speed.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Decided to get my Stampede back up and running. The bearings and spur gear were shot as well as a bunch of other little things that were held together with glue and wishful thinking. Got a new 2017 Raptor body while I was at it. Went with candy apple red paint. I think it turned out pretty bad rear end.

free website to upload photos

Some of the new front alloy parts. Shiny and blue.

free website to upload photos

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I've been thinking about getting a scaler. My stampede has speed and violence covered so I figure something a little more zen would be fun. I know the axial scx is popular but does anyone have an opinion about the Vatterra Ascender trucks? Like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/VATERRA-1972-Bronco-Ascender-Truck/dp/B013SVU6SI

They got that one at the local hobby shop. I love the body, and the mechanicals seem well made but I don't know anything about the reliability or aftermarket for them.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Awesome. I'll probably be picking one up in the coming weeks.

I had the Stampede out for awhile today. I threw it in the trunk and went to my nephew's wedding reception. Everyone who came out for a cigarette or some fresh air wanted to have a turn with it. Even gramma beat on it for a minute and a good time was had by all. I love how people that only ever got to play with those crummy old radio shack buggies lose their poo poo when they pop a wheelie or catch some air with the stampede.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Riller posted:

Don't forget about the new scale truck that Traxxas should be rolling out soon. It looks like it has some really nice features: https://traxxas.com/news/new-product/trx-4

Oh holy poo poo, yes. Portal axles? That's bad rear end. It's a good thing I didn't drop the money on that other truck yet cause that Traxxas is definitely my style.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Koth posted:

So does RTR mean the car/truck comes fully assembled? I must admit, I don't like that at all. One most fun things about RC was the building!

I felt that way when I got the Stampede. With all the bashing I've put that thing through over the years I've had it apart many times over. I'm just as acquainted with it's innards as if I had assembled it initially.

I'm definitely gonna get that Traxxas crawler though. I've watched a bunch of videos and that thing looks like a blast. I can't wait to get one and beat on it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

kimcicle posted:

I'd like to get a RC car to play around with in my apartment and sidewalks; I'm currently leaning towards a RTR Kyosho Mini-Z. I'd like to have something I could 'build,' but when I'm looking at entry level kits + things you need to get running I'm looking at $300 when I'm trying to keep it under $200. Any other recommendations would be great to hear.

If you're not sure if you're gonna play with it much, check out one of these...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-a...fbQ3hoC6Zvw_wcB

I got one for the kid and honestly, it's tons of fun indoors. Outside it's pretty useless though. The advantages are, it's only $50, it recharges off the controller like one of those cheapo drones and it's pretty drat tough. Surprisingly quick and nimble for something so small too.

Setting up little ramps with books and cardboard is great fun. If you have pets it's also fun to torment them with it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

kimcicle posted:

Thanks for the input and recommendations. I think I'm more interested in having a drifting RC car, but I'll try out that $50 one linked first before dropping too much into RC.

Awesome. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it. My boy loves his and plays with it constantly. I'd actually like to get a couple more and set up some little tracks around the house. Lemme know how you like it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Got my TrX 4 today. It was fun as gently caress until the servo for the front diff died 10 minutes into driving it. I'm still bashing it until the replacement comes, but it's annoying as gently caress hearing that servo click and whirr the whole time. Aside from that, babbies first scaler. I got a bridge next to my apartment with a bunch of rocks and poo poo. Even with the broken servo it's a blast.

My usual RC is a stampede. All speed and violence. This is a new concept for me, but I'm enjoying it very much.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Gingerbread House Music posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Stampede-Scale-Monster-2-4GHz/dp/B0192Y8G1O

A Stampede is basically the most basic, easiest way to get started in RC, and it's only $200. Then you can fall down the hole of a new body, tires, blushless conversion, lipo batteries, etc.

Definitely a Stampede, but it's a good idea to pony up the extra $100 for brushless VXL model right off. You'll definitely want it eventually anyway. Traxxas is great because pretty much every part you will ever need is on Amazon. If you got a hobby shop near by, even better. It's not often my local doesn't have what I need. My stampede has been beat senseless for 7 years or so. There's not much original poo poo left on it but the motor and ESC are still working perfectly.

My replacement TRX should be here tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm gonna be working alot the next few day so I won't be able to spend much time with it. Anyone got experience with the Traxxas telemetry module and app? I got the little module that pops into the controller but obviously haven't been able to try it yet.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

EdsTeioh posted:

I have a HobbyTown here, but after going in last weekend and the 17 year old arguing with me on how to pronounce "Tamiya" and then laughing at me and telling me that they'd never carry their stuff "because you have to build them," I'll never go back.

Aww man, that's a drag. My local store (https://www.kranzelshobbies.com/) is great. I had to go in for a new battery and a few things for my stampede last week. They're overly attentive if anything. Never had a question they couldn't answer. The buy I talked to seemed genuinely bummed that I didn't buy my TRX there. Felt like he wanted to have sold it to me, so he could have had the pleasure of selling it to me rather than me buying it elsewhere, if that makes sense. But don't give up on them. You may have gotten the one rear end in a top hat among some knowledgeable guys passionate for the hobby.

Finally got to take my TRX out and play with it...

It is good. Everything I imagined it would be. There's a little spot up the road where a local contractor dumps stones and dirt. It's perfect for playing around with this thing.

I also got a few things done to my Stampede. I broke a shock last time I ran it so I upgraded a little...

The gearbox was also pretty much hosed so I got the Proline one. Much smoother, and quieter. And faster!

Vidya of my TRX. Uuuungh yeah...

https://youtu.be/hEArgYFR3B8

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Traxxas ESCs are very much Lipo ready. VXL or XL5. Right out of the box theres a tag hanging off the battery cable to tell you about it. My TRX4 was set to Lipo by default. Green led means lipo, red is for nimh. That's one of the things that makes me recommend Traxxas to anyone that asks me about getting babbys first RC. I don't know of anything tougher, easier to repair and with better parts availability than (insert Traxxas product here).

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Slash is way better in that regard, have you seen the Stampede up close? Compared to my Rustler it's hilarious, it's clearly catering to the monster truck crowd which is fine, my son loved it right up until he tried racing me and couldn't keep the thing on it's wheels on tight turns.

As far as 4wd how is the maintenance on them? I tend to like 2wd for the simplicity and ease of maintenance with all my vehicles :)

Gotta defend my Stampede a little. I know someone who got a new Slash 2wd. He was running the nimh battery and the brushed motor it came with. That thing was shockingly more capable than my Stampede on pavement. The gap closes a little on gravel and dirt but in the grass the Slash was dead in the water.

What the Stampede excels at is just plain balls out fun time. We had the Slash and Stampede out at a cookout. There was some rocks and dirt to drive on but we also threw together a crude cinder block and plywood ramp.

The Slash can jump, crash and spin just fine but there's something about the Stampede and it's big cartoony wheels. Seeing that dumb fucker soaring through the air with the tires all balooned out and then landing tits up, only to pop back up and rip a monster wheelie just delights anyone. To me, the possibilities just make it more fun.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
It ain't ever gonna be a crawler. If you want that, get a TRX. if you aren't actually racing it a Stampede, Rustler or Slash is just for bashing. Make it brushless if it isn't already. Get bigger and better Lipos. Fix what breaks when you crash it with better parts. Eventually it'll be so fast and violent that you can barely control it and that is when you're done.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well I use that term lightly, this is Florida, so there are no rocks nor hills to climb. I would literally have to build some sort of an obstacle course to even try to replicate any kind of "rock crawling" :v:

Basically the Stampede would be the one to do all the crazy poo poo first. 6 foot ramp? Get the Stampede.

There's always something to climb. I've been hyper aware of new spots to drive my TRX since I got it. When I'm commuting I've been making mental notes of places I see that would be fun to do some climbing. There's plenty of woods and stuff around here but the first place I took it was the construction site in the pics I posted. It doesn't matter where you are, you're not far from where someone is pushing dirt around.

As a Stampede owner who has also played with a Slash, You can run them both up a huge ramp at top speed and they'll both be a awesome. Only difference is that you got a better chance of sticking the landing with a Stampede and a Slash isn't gonna flip over as much. You can beat both of them like they poo poo on the carpet though.

If I had to choose, I like my Stampede VS. a Slash with equal hop ups. But your mileage may vary. I do, however encourage you to look at a TRX if you have any interest in crawlers. I had a hard time justifying the purchase but I'm in love now. It's very calming to drive compared to the balls out hell of wondering what I'm gonna break next time I crash my Stampede into something.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Zip ties and soldering iron welding works sometimes. RPM parts are cheap. Use melt kludges to get you through the weekend. I usually replace broken poo poo with either RPM plastic or whatever metal parts are cheapest.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Who needs LEDs!

I could use a little help... I got this from a buddy at work...

What I know is that it's an OFNA Hyper... Something? I cant quite pinpoint what exactly it is with all the aftermarket stuff. Hopefully someone can tell from these pics...

Definitely not the stock engine...

It has a pipe too...

This is the transmitter it came with...

The only thing I've done to it is replace that ancient radio with a Flysky receiver I had and confirmed that the servos work properly. It all feels very solid and appears to be lightly used. My trouble is that I have next to no knowledge about Nitro stuff. I know the fundamentals but as far as this project goes I don't even know where to start. Especially considering that I don't even know exactly what I have to start. The obvious things are the tires, a clutch, air filter and the hardware for the brake and throttle. If someone can tell me where to get things I need to get this old boy driving again, or if its even worth the time, I'd appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I know nitro is loud, it’s messy, the engines are picky and can be short lived, they’re a pain in the rear end to start and break in and adjust and tune.

But god dammit if they don’t look cool as hell.

My inner child who grew up when battery cars were a complete joke is still deeply impressed by nitro cars.

As a child nitro stuff was a mystical wonder observed from afar to be enjoyed by adults only. By the time I could afford such things electric had gotten so good nitro just didn't make sense. I'm glad I came across this thing so I can finally experience what I was missing out on. It'll be a lot of fun to experience the noise, smell and to finally learn more about these crazy things.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You have unlocked so many closed portions of my brain just now.

That looks to be an OFNA Ultra LX Comp based on the front upper chassis brace and radiotray layout.

The engine is an OFNA Force engine - the Force 26. The engines were fairly reliable and generally pretty user friendly. Nitro engines are fickle beasts though. When broken in wrong they will never run right. Run them too lean? Toast.

That would run great on some 25 or 30% nitro fuel. Use a McCoy MC-9 glow plug. Generally speaking larger 1/8 engines ran better on 30% and using a colder temp plug. Smaller displacement (1/10) want a hot plug (MC-59).

Your carb is on backwards. It needs to be rotated 180 degrees. It should have a small locknut that you can loosen to remove the carb. You will probably want to use some permatex ultra blue or ultra copper to seal the base of the carb (after cleaning) as that is a common place to leak air.

Yes! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much! It took me WAY longer than I'd like to admit before I realized the carb was flipped. I was staring at the drat thing imagining some kind of hosed up windows pipe screensaver linkage between the carb and servo. I plan on hitting the hobby shop in the morning. Hopefully they have what I'll need to get it running. I'm pretty excited to get out there and beat on this thing!