Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does anyone make a car-style transmitter with throttle linear maps (the way I can do with a Taranis, so 0% stick is 0% throttle, but 100% stick is like 20% aka adjustable endpoints). Dual rates would be the cherry on top.

I'm of half a mind to get Teton for my little one's BDay (we hate buying disposable toys), but I still want him to be able to practice in a courtyard without mangling himself/the car. I know it does 50% "beginner mode" but I can guarantee it'll be enough to bury the car at 20mph into my leg.

Would a TQi fit the bill?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks goons. Once I found the feature's actual name it was way easier to select from the sea of models. I was kinda looking for one that'd specifically work with a latraxx, since they never show the receiver without a cover.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 29, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's kind of the nature of the beast if you don't have a baller RC shop near you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You could cap it at the transmitter too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you use that to carry your oversized dog around when he gets tired? Holy poo poo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I still don't know why 18650s aren't A Thing in R/C though.
Garbage discharge rates, mostly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ISDT also makes real good stuff, shame they don't have a quad yet.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll take your word for it, just seems strange that for so long RC batteries were derived from power tools (sub C cells everywhere) and now they've fully diverged.
Tools don't generally need super high discharge rates per cell. They do make aero packs based on li-ion cells that end up lighter per mAh but they're for endurance flying where the lower c rating doesn't matter.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 10, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

just buy some toy grade crap last minute.
This is a recipe for tears.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've never run nimh models because i'm an aero guy, but yeah, the discharge curve of lipos compared to nimh is just ridiculous.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So when you go lipo do you have to switch up anything else besides the battery? Like the ESC?
Depends on the ESC (you kinda want a low Vbat cutoff), but otherwise you can just hang an alarm to the balance leads, as long as the lipo voltage is supported by your ESC.

You need a lipo-capable charger. You need to not treat them (physically) like nimh, because if they short internally they will burn like a hell pit.

As mentionned, they are otherwise better in every way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So dumb question but is there anything sensible between the $50 lovely toys and $5000 scratch built fire engines. The kiddo wants one and I don’t want to get him one I can’t fix.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I didn’t make myself clear. If he wanted a car I’d 100% get him a 1/18 traxxas, but he needs more firetruck in his life, and cannot be swayed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I’m gonna end up pulling a peter sripol and just shove a toy shell onto a traxxas chassis.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

an scx10 II is a perfectly acceptable first crawler for a 4,5 YO right? Right. Asking for a friend.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I’m glad to hear I’m making a perfectly rational decision. What radio do you use to get adjustable endpoints. I’m used to openTX on quadrotors where endpoints are ez, but I know nothing about the waterproof electronics I want in the car.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

The TRX4 might be a better choice. Comes with waterproof electronics out of the box. And I think the Traxxas radios also have a throttle limiter for kids. Or you know, could just keep it in 1st gear.
SHUT UP I DON'T NEED THIS VALIDATION.

I didn't like any of the bodies and then they came out with that amazing bronco

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm a flying RC kinda guy, can I just shove a normal 4-ch receiver (x4r) in the scx and be on my way? I don't see why not but I might be missing something. The x4r can take up to 10v in.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I should have precised. I'm using frsky. They don't make ground-specific receivers or radios. My goal is to let the kid use my radio (frsky x10) for now, then get him either an X-lite or a q7s eventually.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah it’s all 2.4ghz digital now (or 868mhz or 433mhz if you do fancy/illegal stuff). My plan is to use right stick for cars, I fly mode 2 and the kid is mostly right handed so this will work out peachy. Thanks a bunch my man.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sticks to control cars? :toughguy:

Why not get a GT3B? Dirt cheap, even if you include the cost of the hardware needed to flash the community firmware.
Because the kid is constantly asking about my RC aircraft I and the car is low key a way to get him used to sticks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

More question for a crawler beginner. What's going to break first on that thing? I'm assuming steering servo (what's a good 40x40x20 servo?). I got batteries and receiver for days, and I'll convert it to xt60. Am I missing anything?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks for the servo recs. The rest will prob come as more stuff breaks.

Does anyone make a good servo that’ll take 2s? That would simplify things a lot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

All three servos I suggested are 2S/lipo compatible.
You da best, thanks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm setting up the scx10.2 and here are some brain dumps:

let's just say the default radio is rather limiting when you're used to OpenTX and CNC hall effect gimbals. I'm going to let the kid use my x10 and get them an X-lite if he gets into it (so I can harass him with my brushed quads).

The ESC has a loving 20% deadband around 1500us. Easy to fix with curves but still laughable.
I've got triple rates, throttle cut and throttle smoothing setup and it's actually a ball to drive around.
The wheels are hilariously untrue, but that's not going to matter at the speeds we'll be seeing. The shell is nice, so are the lights (although the wire routing is meh).
On a 4Ah pack it'll go basically forever, which is a nice change of pace when you're used to blowing through 1,8Ah 4s packs in under 3mn.
I'm currently looking at stupid stuff to hook up to the 2 free channels I have left (probably emergency services beacons and a lightbar or 3).

What's a good RC switch that'll handle a couple of amps at 2s?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 12, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Budget Monty posted:

Honestly, The RedCat Racing Everest Gen 7 Sport @ $200 RTR I think is the best way to get started IMO. I either currently own, or have owned almost every crawler, and scale truck on the market, and I don't think you can beat it for the money.
I’ve already bought and setup the scx. If he likes it I’m getting a trx4 sunset bronco for myself and a radio for the kid.

If I were reasonably price-conscious the gen7 would mosdef be a better match. But the scx is red and can be made into a fire vehicle of sorts

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 18, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yesssss hobbies with friends are the bestest.

In other news, I can’t find a way to get a TRX-4 without a radio :( I guess I’m supposed to sell it but will buy a radio when every single model comes with one?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, scored a defender trx-4 with an LC70 hard body, savox 1210, castle BEC and a bunch of extra traxxas chassis parts for the price of an RTR trx-4.

I kinda want to make it into a tchadian technical to troll the local crawler groups.

I gave it a test run and it’s pretty obvious why they changed the chassis/body when they put out the trx4 bronco, the defender setup *loves* to roll over. On 3s it hauls decent rear end (25mph maybe?).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do other surface brushless ESCs do the same thing as Tekin's "Active Drag" feature? I hate how even with drag brake at 100%, if you give it 3% throttle it just start free-rolling downhill. If you know what BLHeli damped_light is, that's what I mean. I want an ESC that actively controls motor speed (like one pedal driving an EV), not just current output.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The kid's car lost traction to a wheel while just putzing around yesterday, turns out the RTR was assembled without a hex pin, so the set screw immediately gave up and the only thing transmitting torque was the pressure fit of the hex against the hub bearing. On the plus side our shop was 100% painless to deal with, and a friend gave us a pin to use in the meantime.

It's kind of fun comparing the TRX-4 and the scx10. Stock the SCX weights what feels like half as much, but the chassis also feels super flexy and some parts are obviously not too well thought out. The TRX-4 feels better made but it's also heavy AF, especially with the stock defender shell. Both of them come with shock oil that might be appropriate if they ran exclusively in 40C weather.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 27, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Are there any tricks to installing aftermarket tires onto beadlocks to have them run true? I just mounted my first pair (proline hyraxes) onto rc4wd beadlocks and with the wheel running true and the bead perfectly aligned the hyraxes run hilariously untrue: there almost half an inch of runoff on 2 of them. Is that fixable? Are the proline foams just garbage? Am I supposed to gently caress with the foams til it gets better?

Somebody please tell me what’s going on!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I’m already returning them for some proline wheels, but good to know for next time.
A colleague is buying my hyraxes so I’ll get class 1’s instead and hopefully that’ll all fit better together and under the truck.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So I'm still enjoying playing around with my CC01 but I want to get into something for on-road shenanigans, too. What do you guys like for radios running multiple cars? I'm not really looking to race at all so telemetry isn't really important. Looking for something that's not total rear end but also won't break the bank. Any recommendations?
flysky is p much the only option that's not spektrum.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

The story gets better. The Xpress XQ1s arrived. And it came completely without driveshafts, or the dogbone blades. And it came with 4 3x6x2.5mm bearings, when I needed 4 5x8.5x2.5mm bearings for the steering rack.

.... *shakes head*
And people wonder why traxxas is popular

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

I had been spoiled by Tamiya, Team Associated, and Kyosho. I still, really, dislike Traxxas.
I got a trx4 right about the same time I got my kid an scx 10.2 RTR.

Kid’s car lost propulsion on one corner. Turns out that happens when you build that corner with no hex pin. That’s on top of tires/foams so misaligned the wheels have at least 5mm of overrun.

I loving hate the TRX proprietary connectors and kinda weak sauce servos and expensive upgrades but at least they’re made semi-properly to begin with.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not the only option, but it is the only option that has cheap as poo poo receivers.
Yeah the qualifiers are “cheap, decent quality, 5+ channels radios and receivers, receivers with stabilization”

I use a stick radio because programming anything that’s not opentx gives me shivers, but flysky has decent surface and air radios and if you’re not into programming silly things into them you’ll be fine.
Flysky will sell you a 6ch surface radio + 6ch gyro receiver for under a hundred bucks, which is stupid value. I don’t know how well it manages onroad, but the stabilization is excellent for bombing around in the dirt.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 10, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does anyone make good (price not really important) power/signal interconnects for scale bodies? I want something with like a dozen pins so I don't have to gently caress with all the connectors when I need to do maintenance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Was reading through this thread yesterday and it inspired me to dig my crawler out and let my 4 year old give it a try. He did pretty well.

https://youtu.be/nrlsTtlt3t4

He has an old beater but it has a small battery and only lasted about 15 minutes. When it died he was crushed since this was the first time we crawled in over a year so I felt bad and let him try mine out (scx10 Wrangler). It has a lot more power and speed than his so it took some getting used to, especially reverse. Thinking about getting him an scx10 ii for Christmas.
That's awesome! Our 4.5yo has a scx10.2 (the red unlimited) with a lighting mods and nothing else and loves it. I've recently taken off the throttle restrictor too, and stoppies are his new favorite thing. He's getting a light bar for xmas because more lights = better, OBVIOUSLY

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I can heartily recommend any kind of lighting setup, along with any scale detail that'll make it resemble an actual fire vehicle. I'm a contrarian and I've taught him to use a stick radio, but having free channels to control lights instantly improves any vehicle by a factor of on bazillion. Either that or have switches he can reach to control them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That’s so awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 10.2 is p good out of that box TBH and the receiver even has a free channel you could use for lights/winch.

Lights are p easy you either get 6V stuff and stick it in your receiver (then brown it out all the time because factory ESCs have garbage regulators) or get a castle BEC and never worry about it ever again. Kids love lights/sounds.

Winches either come with an integrated controller you just plug in a free channel, or you use a rudimentary reverse-capable brushed ESC to drive them. I find they’re more trouble than they’re worth.

I’m not super up to date on the radio side of surface because I use my miniquad stick radios for everything (can’t argue with 6ch receivers that cost :10bucks: ) but flysky ans spektrum both make affordable decent radios with a bunch of channels.