Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

deong posted:

Right now I'm using a seperate 1s battery to power the camera. I bought the BEC suggested up thread but I still need to make a Y connector.
Also, do the connector ends need to be soldered? I'm used to making my own ethernet cables. Do they crimp like that?

Depends on the connector type. I would expect JST and Tamiya connectors to crimp on but those can't handle much current. Every high current connector I've ever seen - Dean's/T, XT60, 4mm bullet - has been a solder-on connection.

Shy boy: that is extremely my poo poo, I have my dad's gold tub RC10 in storage, and a slightly upmarket version of that transmitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shy boy from chess club posted:

Any plans to mess with it?

I should, I doubt it's had running gear in it in 20+ years. The offroad racing scene here has been hit and miss (not that I'd be out at an RC race during a pandemic anyway) but the new place I'm buying has enough room to maybe gently caress around some with the RC10 / XX buggies / SC10.

Either that or I'll finally start shoveling money into the hole labeled "RC crawler".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terminus Est posted:

and use an over sized tamiya plug to charge.

Do you want a garage fire? This is how you get a garage fire.

Oversized Deans plug or bust.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Can anyone give me some sort of ballpark figures? Is it common to just hook up the motor directly to the axle with whatever minimal gearing there is in the diff/axle gear? I feel like maybe that's the idea because a motor doesn't exactly output 11.000 RPM when loaded.

I am trying to decide on which motor I need and should design parts for, but having no real reference I am at a total loss on how to choose the right one.

In the most basic pan car setups, yes, the only gearing they have is a pinion on the motor and a spur gear on the axle shaft. Most other forms of R/C car have more complex geartrains by necessity, but in practice that also means they end up running a larger pinion / smaller spur gear than a pan car would, since they're also accounting for the gear reduction in the rest of the chassis.

Since you aren't going for "competitive racing" here, you'll definitely want to err on the side of a "low" / numerically high ratio. Going too far that direction just means your top speed is lower than you'd like. Going way too far the other direction could result in a top speed higher than you want, or possibly lower than you want if you way overshoot it, and adds the possibility of overheating the motor.

To figure out what sort of ratio you want, pick a reasonable travel speed for the car, then do the math with the tire diameter to figure out wheel RPM at that speed, and then you can back that out to a ratio that gives you a reasonable motor RPM at that speed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're not wrong.

The most fun I had with RC in the past 10 years was when we managed to get a (very small) class of short course trucks running on a flat paved track. There weren't really any rules so one guy went with a fully slammed setup and of course went off and won by a lap+.

I ran my SC10 in box-stock configuration and I was having a blast three-wheeling it through the corners with the ridiculous body roll, like the real-life SSTs. Harder tires still would've been a benefit to reduce traction rolling but then again I think the full size trucks are also capable of traction rolling if you crank too much steering in because they're just so high.

And of course, as they do every few years, the local on-road group has imploded with drama again and lost their racetrack again and the cyclical nature of that has made me get all of my racing fix via iRacing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's the same company so I assume it's only a matter of time until there's a subscription required.

I'm amazed nobody seems to have come up with a proper replacement that uses far cheaper components.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You know you're old when "peak detection charger" makes you think of this:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, at this point the definition between "off road" and "on road" is primarily "jumps".

When the first short course trucks like the SC10 came out, they dragged me back in for a while because the way they moved looked much more like a real offroad truck, instead of how modern truggies/buggies handle. But of course everyone wants to go fast no matter what and this is why we can't have nice things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh poo poo, I didn't know SCX24 hopup parts were a thing.