Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Awesome! Glad someone started a thread. I currently run 3 cars. 2 Nitro, 1 electric. I run an 1/8th Jammin X1-CR buggy. I put a ton of money into this car, and it's about 4 years old and really starting to show it's age. This car has been pretty durable, but It doesn't handle like the newer cars.

And this is my new 'main' car. I picked this up two weeks ago. It's a 1/8 scale Inferno GT2.This thing is huge! And it's a blast to drive. I'm pretty new to on-road. But it's quickly rising as my favorite car I've ever owned. It's pretty durable and super fast.

I also run a 1/18th scale Associated 18R. It's a tiny car, but one of the biggest classes in this area and major fun. Plus it's only about $135 for the car and we run it as a spec class. So it's super cheap.

I guess I'm one of those nuts that spends way too much time with this hobby. But then again, it's also my job. I paint bodies full time.

If you plan on racing, do lots of research before you buy a car. Often when you buy a Ready To Run kit and plan on racing it you'll be breaking parts so often you would have been better off buying race roller. Those cars don't come with the engine/motor or electronics, and you usually have to put then together yourself. But it's worth it in the long run.

But if your going to drive it around in a parking lot or out in front of your house a RTR kit is just fine.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

How do the suspensions and setups on these things compare to cars? That one open wheel car above seems to have some serious toe-out in the front.

The setups can get pretty crazy. I just changed the shock oil, the front and rear diff oil, the ride height, the camber, and the tires on that large corvette for a race next week. I took that picture a week ago, and it still had the stock setup. I would be spinning out around every corner with the stock setup. It all makes a huge difference. The biggest difference is in the tires though. A good set of rubber or foam tires can make drastic changes in traction.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Parabellum posted:

Kuffs, whats the procedure on running in new motors? The .12 in mine would have any more than an hour or two on it and I haven't touched the original kit settings. I didnt want to lean it out too early but it is pretty noticeable to see where Ive been.

You should get a temp gun if you don't already have one. If you've been running that on the factory settings then your lacking in lots of potential power. If you've ran it for an hour or two you probably have at least a dozen tanks through it. I don't think you would have any problems leaning it out. As long as you see some blue smoke it should be fine.

I remember years ago when I got my first nitro buggy. I broke it in and brought it to a race. A local sponsored racer for Hot Bodies tuned my engine for me. It was pretty cold so he was able to lean it a bit more than a warm day. He knew what he was doing and took it right to the edge without over doing it. Of course the next week when it got warmer I ran my engine with the same settings. But because it was much warmer my engine was too lean. I didn't know any better and ran it that way. It didn't last long and I learned quickly how to tune.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Oh man, those boats are awesome! I would really like to get into rc boats, but I don't have any water where I can drive it.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Those realistic cars are getting very popular. The slash, sc10, slayer, sc8, etc. Some of the biggest turn outs at the local races.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

YAY! I just got an email from the senior editor of a popular RC magazine, guess my Vette posted above will be in a future mag. I won the Concourse competition in the IGT class at the MONTONICA GRAND PRIX in vegas over the weekend. Sadly the racing didn't go so well.

IVnic8or posted:

The AX10 is a very good choice, mutt2jeff. Plenty of stuff available to hop it up and spend more of your money. Put weights in your front tires and mount your battery on top of the front steering servo for vastly improved crawler performance. If you have not yet, lock the rear differential too.

This thread is definitely for me. I've worked in the RC industry for a long time. I currently am a project manager for a RC car manufacturer. I found a few things I've developed in some on the pictures in this thread, which I get a real kick out of.

Anyone have any questions about the industry? Would be happy to answer as long as it doesn't violate my non-disclosure agreement with my employer.

Hey that's awesome! So I have a question for ya. Where do you see the industry going in the next couple of years? A few years ago the big thing was 1/10 scale electric racing, now it seems to be 1/8 scale nitro truggies and buggies. But even that is heading into electric with the new associated RC8E and Losi 8IGHT-E. Plus the realistic cars like the Slash are really exploding in popularity.

I'm just curious what you think because as someone who paints bodies for a living I'm constantly trying to keep up with whats popular. And things change so quick. Last season lots of guys were running the RC8, now it's all about the Losi 8IGHT 2.0 and Hot bodies D8. Plus trying to keep on top of the truggies, monster trucks, and on-road stuff.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

IVnic8or posted:

So that is really you who is painting those fantastic bodies. I sheepishly admit that I was skeptical that those pics were really your models - I see too many people present the work of others as their own but by the tone of your posts, it's pretty apparent it's you. I'm a big fan of your work. It's VERY bold and perfectly clean in it's execution. Want to design a trim scheme for me? I'm serious. You're one of the top designer/painters out there right now.

It's great that you're getting your work into one of the magazines. If you are looking to increase your notoriety and the amount of business you get coming in, offer to paint a few bodies for one of the magazines for free to gain some national exposure.

Hey thanks! I really appreciate it. I did it as a part-time job last year to support my own hobby. I think I painted a total of 10 bodies all of last year. At the start of this year I got laid off from one of Disney's video game studios and decided to try and do it full-time to see how it works out. And I'm loving it! I've met lots of awesome people who are big into RC from all over the world. And things have really taken off. There is only a handful of people who do it full-time, and I consider myself extremely lucky to be among them. And I try my hardest to keep up, there are some awesome painters out there. And if you ever do need a scheme shoot me off an email!

kuffs posted:

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the GT2. It's got that scale realism thing going for it. Plus, it's a reasonably priced huge fuckoff road car. I want one pretty bad.

Oh yes, well worth the purchase! I've had a terrible cold all day and couldn't get any paint done. So I decided to mess with the setup on my GT2 a bit. Man that car is fun! I'm still running the stock engine, but I changed the tires and setup. It's running just perfect! Very quick, very good handling. And tons of fun to drive. I absolutely love it. Probably the funnest car I've ever owned.

mutt2jeff posted:

Can we get some pictures of your work? so those of us not in the know can have a look?

Sure thing! just head over to http://www.skyreedracedesign.com/. I've got lots of pictures there. I need to add my latest stuff though, I find it hard to get enough spare time to update it.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Just got back from the state carpet championship race. Took 4th in the 18R spec class. My motor started giving out just after the start of the main. By the end of the race my lap times were a full second slower than the leader. Oh well, time for some 1/8 IGT!

A5H posted:

How much do you charge to paint?
Very impressive!

hey thanks! Paint starts at $40 for basic designs and goes up from there. I also sell pre-painted bodies for 1/8 buggy, 1/8 truggy, 1/10 on-road, and for the Traxxas Slash.

Hypnolobster- You guys have an awesome track! I wish we had something like that around here. Most of our outdoor tracks are poorly maintained, and the indoor tracks are too small to get really good jump sections.

Cage- Congrats on your purchase! That is the biggest race class in this area and those things are pretty dead on reliable. A slash is going to be my next off-road purchase. They are too much fun!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I just found this website. Pretty good info on setting up a car and other stuff.

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

The setup guide is really helpful.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

stizu posted:

I just took a look at the "custom paintjob" thread at rc tech and noticed that 97/100 bodies were tribal flamejobs with gimmicky poo poo like dropshadows and that torn metal look. Do you get a lot of requests for that sort of thing? I noticed that your bodies are much more interesting than the average "custom" job is why I ask.

Mostly, I like the replica paintjobs. Though they seem to get overlooked in favor of bodies that get comments like, "Wow, the way that you started out white on the nose and faded into a color that made up completely symmetrical tribal flames and finished it off with random torn through metal that had a shadow cast over a checkered flag and a bizarre water droplet effect is really awesome. I would like to have you paint my bodies, but I can't afford it."

I have also gotten the impression that $100 is the going rate, that seems expensive from the point of view of the purchaser, I am sure, but seems like giving away from the point of view of the painter. As uncreative and undesirable as most of those jobs look to me, it still looks like there is more than $100 worth of effort and skill involved.

Oh yeah. People love Flames, checkered flags, chrome rips, and paint drips. I still get lots of request for flames, But not as much of the other stuff. mostly I try and paint what I would run on my own cars. I like clean designs that read well and don't look muddy when running down the track at full speed. It may not be the most popular stuff, but I enjoy painting it.

A lot of the paint jobs you see posted on Rctech and other rc forums are probably in the $100 range. But most of those bodies are never ran or used. I would say that 80% of the paint jobs I do are $40 paint jobs. Most of my business is people who race and want 3 identical bodies but don't want to pay a whole lot because they know those bodies are going to get thrashed when they race. Those are the people who come back again and again and make up the majority of my business.

I really like replica paint jobs, but they are very difficult and time consuming to paint. Anything with text or a logo is really hard.

I had my first race with My Inferno GT2 Corvette today. What a fun car! Probably the most fun I have every had at a race.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Another goon in the Industry here. I don't think I have any qualms about disclosing where I work. I am in Sales at HRP Distributing in Salt Lake, Utah. We supply to the retail hobby stores. Where are you from?

EDIT:

Holy crap - SKY? Never did I think I would ask one of the local racers the "do you have stairs" question. How did you make out in the 18R class at the carpet race? I should have known you were an AI goon with the SS Camaro you rolled in.

I am protect. HAHA, WTF?!? As soon as I read HRP in Salt Lake I though "no way, it can't be steve". And sure enough it is. That's funny.

I did ok in the 18R class. It wasn't very spec though. I ended up in 4th. I really consider it practice for the IGT, man that's a fun car. How did you end up doing? I had to leave before the rest of the mains were over.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

That is an awesome BAJA 5T!

krushgroove posted:

I've been hoping HPI can do a 1/8th GT car like the Inferno GT

This would be my dream car! Love HPI stuff, and the 1/8 GT car is by far my favorite.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

kuffs posted:

What is the recommended way to reinforce critical areas on these things? Looks like one of the bodies I have has what appears to be drywall mesh tape epoxied onto the underside. What kind of epoxy should I use to ensure that it still stays rather flexible?

Shoo-goo! I use Mesh Drywall tape and shoo-goo on all of my bodies. Place it on the high wear areas like the side or any place where something contacts the body. Also shoo-goo around the holes on the body pins and any other that are too small to apply the drywall tape. After each race inspect the body for signs of damage. Often applying a bit of shoo-goo can stop cracks from spreading or other damage from getting worse (Rub areas). I do this to all of my personal bodies and they last quiet a while.

kuffs posted:

SGT. Squeaks, you do not have any rc10gt bodies for sale :P

I don't right now. I've been working on expanding the selection of bodies. rc10GT bodies are on the list!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I've still got my RC10. And compared to the new cars they are tanks. pretty durable, but super slow and can't jump worth a darn. I'd upgrade to something newer.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Fun stuff!

Oh crap! I totally forgot about this. I was planning on checking it out. How was the weather that day? Last week was crazy stormy.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Really? Awesome! They emailed me about it almost 3 months ago. I was wondering if it was going to show up. Very cool!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

krushgroove posted:

BTW, I couldn't mention this before but there's a(nother) new stadium truck coming out: http://www.hpiracing.com/blitz/ Looks fantastic, Erik did an amazing job in such a short time.

This is the short course truck I've been waiting for. The Slash is huge around here, but I've never been a traxxas fan.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I couldn't wait. I searched ebay and picked up all the parts to convert my t4 to an SC10. Got everything for $40. I'm going to run this, but I still plan on picking up a blitz.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

That is awesome!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Just finished putting my SC10 together.

It's a T4 converted to an SC10 with a Pro-Line Desert Rat body. I'm running a Komodo Pro 19T brushed motor with Nimh batteries and Pro-Line M2 Bowties. This thing is a frankenstein Monster of old parts. I'll be running it in the Outlaw class at the local track. A lot of the guys that have been winning that class have been using 27T motors. Brushless motors have too much instant torque and spin out. It really is a case of Slow is Fast. I drove it for the first time today and it felt good, but if I don't get traction I've got a 27T I'm ready to put in.

It's very different from on-road. I'm so use to racing my Inferno that this thing feels like a slow Ice-skate. Going to take a while to get adjusted to it. The short Course class is exploding around here. The last club race had 28 racers. I decided to get in on the action.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Awesome man! You going to be at the Wasatch race on Saturday?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

The Protoform R9 body is my favorite, but everyone wants the speed6. I can't figure that one out. Your car looks sharp!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hopefully I will have a place to race it this winter on some proper carpet!

No kidding! With all the local tracks stopping the on-road racing I'm getting a bit nervous. Hopefully there will be something for winter.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Saturday was the last local on-road race. The race Director is moving and closing up the track. Which sucks because I feel like I'm really starting to get my IGT down.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, I buy a lot of my stuff used. You can get some great deals. But I will never buy a used nitro engine unless I can tear it down and check it out.

A couple of months ago a guy was trying to sell a used V-Spec at the local race. He said it was brand new and with only five tanks ran through it. It looked like it just came out of the box. On the outside. One of the guys was interested and asked if he could tear it down first. The thing was hammered. It had poor compression, the piston looked scorched, and it felt rough like it had sand poured into it.
I've just had bad luck with used engines.

Man, that 3 piece ghetto pipe is something else!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Oh man! I caved about a month ago and converted my t4 to an sc10. But I only went to one race with it. I should have just held out for the blitz.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I don't like traxxas as a company at all, but I'm very tempted to pickup one of these.

Or I'll get the jammin SCRT10 and roll with something different.

I'll wait for some reviews.

[EDIT] After thinking about it some more, I can't wait to get a 4wd SC truck. I've got a pretty well setup SC10, but at the local track anything 2wd is pretty squirrely. A 4wd truck would rock! Unless the Traxxas is amazing, I will probably go with the jammin on principal alone. :colbert:

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 10, 2009

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

A couple of weeks ago we had our last on-road race (Permanently). I brought out the 1/8TH Inferno GT (My favorite car). Right before the first qualifier I went to fill up my fuel bottle as every Nitro racer does. As I squeezed the fuel bottle the metal tube loudly popped off the bottle and fell into the fuel jug. I couldn't believe it! In years of racing I have never had this problem. I had to take the body off and pour the gas into the tank each time. It sure made pit stops a huge pain.

Broken parts? I can deal with that. Left something at home? It happens. But the fuel bottle ejecting itself into the jug? WTF!?!

Any one else have unexpected ridiculous problems happen to them on race day?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Somewhat Heroic- you lucky devil! I love me some HPI. I should have waited instead of building my SC10 that I only ran once.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

kuffs posted:

I've been pretty tempted to get an SC10. Consider selling it?

edit: I still want an RC10GT body too :(

I'll have to think about that. I've been tempted to upgrade my Jammin X1 buggy to a Jammin X2. Maybe I should sell my sc10 to pay for that.

Sorry about the body. I decided to go back into the games industry and I've been so busy on the job hunt I haven't been able to paint. I was getting burned out and losing my love of rc racing and decided to do it part-time instead. I recently moved to another house temporarily, and all my stuff is boxed up because I'm planning on moving out of state once I land a new games job. Once I get things figured out I'll be painting again (though part-time). I've got about 25 clear bodies waiting to be painted so I really need to get things going again before all those bodies are obsolete.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I know the feeling. Besides my Spec 18R the Sc10 is the first electric car I've ran in years. Its all nitro for me. When I picked up the parts to convert my sc10 I had about a dozen questions for the hobby guy. When I last raced electric, Nihm was brand new. Most guys still ran Nicd. And Lipo's? WTF are those?

I'd like to know how that brushless setup runs. I'm running a 19T brushed, and like it. But someday I'll probably convert to Brushless.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I may have to get a blitz. Last night was the first race of a Short course point series at a local track. Over 30 entered, and the top 5 were all Blitz. HPI is dominating.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

You'll be quickly making up the price difference in broken parts and frustration.

Unless your going to be driving in your driveway. Carry on.

Oh man, I so badly want a Baja! Why ya got to tempt me with such awesome stuff? I'd love to get one some day. And with how much I'm into my IGT I could have picked one up. We'll see what happens with the local racing next year. Now that there isn't a local on-road track I may just sell it and get a baja.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 28, 2010

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

kuffs posted:

SGT Squeaks, I need your skilz for my new touring car. Please seek out my previous post. To you.

Hey man, I haven't painted a body since November. I was getting pretty burned out with painting so I went back into the video game industry. I think I'm going to start painting again in a couple months. But on a much more limited basis, no longer will I paint 15-20 bodies a week. Let me know if you still need something by then.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

We lost our only local on-road track when the race director moved. But I found out yesterday that there will be on-road racing this season. YES!

I'm so excited I'm going to start up my painting again. Guess I'll go pickup a body for my IGT tomorrow. Can't run the same old beat up body.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I'd go to the hobby shop and hold a few radios. I've been running Futaba's since I got into this hobby. And moving over to the Spektrum felt wrong. I don't like the balance, the grip, and the way the wheel felt. So I ended up going with the Futaba 3pm 2.4ghz and absolutely love it. Feels like home.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I'd love to pickup a blitz. That thing is dominating the local SC races.

Hey kuffs- Man that is a crazy looking radio. I wonder how the build quality is. Does it feel pretty durable? It looks like some crazy mass effect gun.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I had no idea either. But now that I think about it, it does make sense. When I first got into this hobby I was a HUGE AE Guy. Wouldn't run anything but AE. But over the years I've noticed a big change. And now only have one AE car, my SC10. I'd look at other brands before I'd jump on anything AE.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Last night I started the dreaded complete tear down of every single part for cleaning and inspection on my IGT2. I've already found a few surprise broken or missing parts. Hopefully the bill isn't too much. I'm already nearing $100.

I can't wait for the upcoming race season. We've got twice as many cars as last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I've got the racing bug bad and have been getting my cars prepped all week. So just curious, but what cars/classes is everyone planning on racing this season?

For me:
Associated 18R -Spec Class On-road
Kyosho Inferno GT2 - Spec class On-road
Jammin X1-CR Buggy (Planned X2 Upgrade) - Off-road
Associated SC10 - Open class Off-road

We've got a ton of new guys this season running on-road and a ton more running slashes in the off-road. Plus a new on-road track and the off-road track is getting a complete overhaul because we've got a new race director. Not to mention some big racing events, Miller Motorsports park is letting us run a few races there on their awesome asphalt lot.

Should be a fun year.