Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
So did you end up going to the GSC race this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I've never made the PNB. It always lands on my birthday and I've always had other plans. :(

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I just barely started running the VTA class at my local track. Picked up a Sakura Zero S for like a hundred bucks. Really cheap and so far very competitive.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

It's a fun class, but I have a few problems with it. First you can only run the hpi vintage tires. Which can be difficult to get at times. Especially when a big race is near. And second, if your track requires the 25.5 motor then you stuck with one option... Novak. And they have the slowest customer service in the world. I posted a few weeks ago about having to contact them about a sensor board. I just got the new part today and it's been well over a month.

As soon as I need to replace the tires on this thing I'm jumping to the USGT class instead. Still limited, but a bit more open as far as tires and motors.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Laserface posted:

there is the sakura zero S (or S zero?) that is the same idea as the T3R (basic beginner kit touring car) and it is MUCH cheaper. its around $150AUD which puts it pretty much in the $100 zone for US people I would assume.

there is also other stuff like 12th scale pan cars and F1 that are much more basic and usually kit form.

I'm running a sakura zero S in the local vta and usgt class. It's been pretty good. I picked it up for $120, but you'll have to put in another 75 or so to make it race worthy.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Haven't had anything to do with RC for a while, but recently it's flared up again and I had my first 1/8th E-Buggy race of the year this past Saturday. Forgot how much I miss this stuff. Had so much fun.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Had my 2nd race with my EBuggy this past weekend. Forgot how much I missed this stuff. I am also really liking the switch from nitro to electric. So much less hassle. Though the noise I will miss. But going back into off-road I had some major trouble with the jumps. Realized after the main my rear ride height was only 9mm and bottoming out on the jump face. DOH!

Anyways, here is the lineup.

Also first time hitting the awesome off-road tracks here in Georgia.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 13, 2014

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Loganville so far, But Dalton And Henry county raceway are close too. It's been a while since I've been to this thread but aren't you around Savannah? (Or am I thinking about another goon?)

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Hey, have a setup question for you racers, been a while since I've worked on this. Anyways, I'm running a Hot Bodies ve8 and it feels like I have little on-power steering. I like to have a bit of power all the way through the corner, but it pushes with any power applied so I pretty much have to brake, take the corner with no power, aim straight, and go! I can give further setup specs if that will help you help me.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

TremorX posted:

That was kind of my experience with the Ve8 too. I talked to a Hot Bodies driver last year at Psycho Nitro and we did some tweaking to my car to get it handling better but it's been a year and I sold the car so I don't recall all of it. One thing I do remember was that we ran pretty light oils compared to the Mugen and Losi buggies. The car just seems to work better with a softer suspension. I never was super happy with the way it drove, especially after I borrowed a friend's Losi for a bit. It was better after I swapped on some of the Hara parts from an old D8 but I was always fighting a lot of understeer through the corners.

What oils are you running now in the shocks and diffs?

Yep, that's me! I'm about an hour from Savannah but I race there pretty regular. I'm mostly into carpet oval right now but I'll probably start messing around with off-road again this summer.

I'm running the stock setup. I believe it's 35f 45r and 5-5-2. I may try some lighter shock oils and go a little heavier on the front and center diffs. One step at a time and go from there. I really like the car, and for most people the stock setup is wonderful. It's really stable, jumps great, handles bumps well, and for the most part it corners well. I just need to adjust it to my driving style and cut some more time.

Btw, you going to the Psycho Nitro Blast this year? I'm on the fence. Have a big project at work and it will be hard to get some time away.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

visuvius posted:

Seems like most of you dudes are into off road stuff. Anyone here into onroad racing? I'm think I'm about to get into The rabbit hole that is Tamiya racing.

I love onroad racing. 1/8th GT onroad is my favorite class. But onroad is pretty dead around here.

TremorX posted:

Yep, I'm going!

I want to say I was running 5-7-3 for the diffs and 30/40. If you do wind up going to PNB, I'll introduce you to Charlie Yates, he's an HB driver and usually makes the A at PNB. He helped me set my D8 up last year and I had it outdriving Mugens until the engine lost tune. I'm running a Losi 8ight 3.0 this year.

I do a little of both. I love carpet oval but I like switching it up.

yeah I think I'm going to try a similar setup. I did a search on some of the local GA forums and found what people were using from a few years ago, and it's very similar. How do you like the losi 8ight 3.0? I bought this ve8 a few years ago but never ran more than a single battery in it until this year. But there is something strange going on with HB/HPI and I have a crazy hard time finding certain parts for it. Planning on switching to an E-8ight next year. Most everyone is running the Mugen's around here, but I like the skinny chassis buggies.

I'll probably miss the PNB, even though I really want to go. Just getting back into racing after a 3 year break, and I'm a bit rusty. Plus I really don't know if I can get the time off. But I'm totally planning on making it next year.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Holy Crap that is amazing!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Sadly I couldn't make it. But I'm thinking about driving down on Sunday to watch some of the races with my kids.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Oh man, 1/8th GT onroad is my favorite car type. Wish it was raced locally because they are so much fun to drive. What are you looking to do with it? Race or Play?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

If your looking for nitro I believe the XO-1 is electric only. Also, it's the most expensive rtr and technically 1/7th scale. So you can't race it even if they did race locally. I honestly don't know a single person that has ran this car and can't say much else. If your looking at RTR I really liked my Kyosho Inferno GT2 (Nitro). I picked it up as a RTR and ran it in races right out of the box and upgraded as I went. Never broke a thing and won more often than not with that car. It's super durable and easy to upgrade. The OFNA DM-1 is another decent one, It's slightly cheaper but I found it didn't handle as good. Partially because of the front shock layout. Even though you said you probably won't race, this car is not one you can race at ROAR events because of the front shock layout. OFNA is coming out with a new car soon, the X-3 GT. This one of ROAR legal and probably the car I will be picking up later this year. Now if you want to build a kit, you have the same options as above and a few more. The Serpent Cobra GT is what a lot of guys with a higher budget ran. It looks like an amazing car, but It was out of my budget and I always did just fine with my GT2.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 18, 2014

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Racing in general seems to be way harder on cars than bashing for some reason. I broke way more stuff when I raced my Slash than I normally would bashing it (bashing at the skate park aside)

Man I've found it to be the opposite. I rarely break parts racing, only broken part this year was a servo that I've been using in 8th scale for 6 years. Or the ve8 is built like a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

That is a great looking buggy! I really like hpi as well, though I've had trouble getting parts for my ve8, it's turned out to be an awesome buggy.