Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I bought one of those Walmart Hart tool 1/10 RC trucks because I wanted a better-than-toy RC car, but DIDN'T want a new hobby.

It didn't work (bad motherboard) so they sent me another whole car and I kept the broke one for parts. The kids and I were having a good time driving it around our little cul-de-sac with their little toy cars ramping the pot hole and whatnot. Then I got the brilliant idea to take it to the local skate park this weekend. We had the absolute greatest time ever and it was taking a beating in stride... for 10 minutes. It cartwheeled on a bad landing and broke the knuckle where the wheel attached to the arm. That night I swapped the motherboard out of the broken car into the good car that had a bad motherboard. Turned it on and BAM! The wheels spun. We took it to the baseball field last night and I should have checked the steering... Because it has none. So when we got home I took the steering servo out of the other one and plugged it in to see if it was a power issue or a servo issue. It worked so I swapped them(I thought) what I actually did was take the bad servo out, get distracted, and put the bad servo back in. I finally got that all set.

I realized I was doing exactly what I didn't want to do with an RC car. After extensive YouTube research, I ordered a 1/16 SuChiYu 16102(it's sold under a bunch of different names, sometimes with different shells).

I got the brushless because of the metal drive train and whatnot. There's nowhere around here if be able to go much faster than that Hart, and the skatepark is tiny, like 3 ramps. It'll be here in a week.

I don't know how this thread feels about ultra cheap little bashers, but I'm really excited. I've already ordered some oil filled shocks and different tires for it. I figure after I take it out a couple times it'll give me a better idea of what I'm looking for in an RC, and since I have 2 kids to hand them down to, I have 2 more chances to get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Nerobro posted:

The Cheap Chinese stuff... is a great gateway. When hobby grade bites you, you're gonna really change how you see r/c. And you're not far from it. Amusingly, some of the cheap and cheerful chinese stuff is just direct clones of the good stuff. However with much lower grade materials. That first car that's made entirely of plastic that's got ~design intent~. Fasteners that are all high quality. Parts that have little or no flash on them. Thoughtful inclusions of adjustments. Getting a car with your first ~truely high speed~ steering servo coupled a nice stiff servo saver.

There's genuine magic when you get that first car setup really well. Endpoints setup so the servo doesn't strain at the locks, a servo that moves as fast as your fingers do, exponential setup so the steering feels linear, a sensored motor that always responds exactly how you expect, and suspension setup so the thing feels like it's on rails.... (It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't..)

Cheap Chinese is still the only way to really get some weird stuff. 1/10 scale motorcycles? 1/76th scale r/c cars? (Now that Tomy stopped with the bit char-g)

For the record, the turbo racing 1/76th scale cars? Do it. You absolutely won't regret driving around your breakfast in the morning.

I don't have anywhere I can really let an RC rip, I have my cul-de-sac I can drive it in a circle and a 2 acre barely mowed lot behind my house. I can go to the skatepark or a park but the parks aren't any better than the lot behind my house. So I'll probably stick with big tires and ramps. Fine tuning for speed would tap into my min-maxing arpg lizard brain, but it's not really feasible.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Is there a dirt cheap RC tool kit anyone would recommend? I have real tools, but my tiny sockets aren't deep enough to get the tires off. I figure if there's a cheep set I can just keep it with the car for emergency repairs and whatnot.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Well I did a thing even though my car hasn't arrived yet.

It was supposed to be a proof of concept, but they turned out pretty good. Considering it was all warped scrap. (The sides are used fence boards). It was pretty bad but as I finished up all the little pieces pulled them into shape. I'll make flippy legs for them so they store better, my son wants a table between them and I think the curved one needs a more extreme angle while the other one should be less extreme. So that'll be version 2.

Edit: yep. 45 degrees was too much on the flat ramp. The other's perfect. Just got to make version 2 wider.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 18, 2023

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

RC car came today. Is there anything I need to look for in batteries other than the right shape plug and fits in the battery slot? Anything off Amazon is fine?

Do I need snow tires for this to run it in the snow, or should I just put giant oversized tires(I have an extra set of threse with zip ties on them? it's a four-wheel drive and goes in grass that my two wheel drive doesn't.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Ok. I replaced the shocks with oil filled shocks. I followed the instructions in some random YouTube video. (fill the shocks with oil, get air out, put back together) and they were just solid, no give at all, so I let out a little oil(by just closing it back up with the plunger halfway in) and now it seems super loose then just like stops. Ifi drop it from a foot the body bounces a little, but the tires stay on the ground, 2-3 ft it bounces maybe half an inch/an inch. Higher than that the body hits the ground.

How wrong did I do everything, and how do I do it right?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Nerobro posted:

get me a link to the shocks. If they are airation shocks, they need some air in them to function. Otherwise there should be bladders to provide the room for the shafts to ride in. Regardless, show me the shocks.

Also.. what oil did you use?

These shocks from AliExpress

This oil from Amazon

Also I got some longer ones for my Hart RC because why not. I haven't done those yet, but they are these ones from AliExpress

Also thanks to everyone for the prior suggestions for things I got some zee 2200 batteries that are the same physical size as the battery this came with(there's 3000 on AliExpress for like half as much but I don't know if I trust their numbers) and some knockoff of that tool set(well two tool sets because one came with a ton of bits and bobs that have already come in handy).

Edit 2: I'll be mainly driving this off ramps at the skate park for what that matters.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 8, 2023

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Looks like none of what you bought has any volume compensation built in. The best method for filling these is likely going to be a syringe, and doing a fixed fill of each shock. 50w oil might be a bit heavy. But if you're doing just jumps? it might work.

I say best. But I will point out, that these are ~all~ trash. Spending $20 on Yeah Racing, or 3 Racing is a massive step up from these. They come with pistons of different hole counts, hey come with some sort of volume compensation, they come with oil, they come with spare parts.

Yeah they are the dirt cheapest ones you can get to go with my dirt cheapest RC car. If I and my son stick with this long enough that a second car happens I'll make a note of those brands. (I'M MAKING A LIST!)

So since the ones I have don't have any compensation, they need some air left in them? Like what percentage air are we talking? Do I put it back together with the piston extended or not? (I'm content with "good enough" for cheap rear end shocks. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right)

I got 50 because that was in the range of what some random YouTuber said to get for bashing.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 8, 2023

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Ok. So more/less/exactly the amount of air storage that the plunger takes up?

Then I close it up with the plunger extended, right?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Here's what the inside of these terrible shocks look like if anyone cared.

The chamber is one solid piece so you can only fill it by taking it apart like this. I'm going to get a baby medicine syringe and fill each one up a different amount, then whenever one actually works in going to fill the others up to.

I also grabbed some hub extenders to throw on some bigger tires I have laying around for when it snows.

Probably not too big at all.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Kiss your hubs goodbye, but if you have the motor for it, it'll be fun until they go.

Additional reading tells me this is a Dumb loving Idea™ if I don't want to replace my motor. Will it still burn out if I run it in low?

I think I'll just order some correct size sand/snow tires.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

0.7ml oil. plunger all the way in when I closed up the chamber. I used the springs from the friction shocks. They are a little stronger, but it sat pretty low with the ones the new shocks came with.

2 ft drop.

I don't think I can do much better with what I got, but was wondering how it looked to people who know what they are doing.

It has spring adjustment things so I could put the weaker springs on and tighten them up, but if it's not obvious, I have no idea what I'm doing.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Nerobro posted:

A cars ride height should be with the drive shafts about level. Having control is a matter of having the wheels in contract with the ground as much as you can, which means you need available up travel, and down travel. Your car is quite high.

You have basically built emulsion shocks, so "the first drop" is gonna be a bit weird. You'll need to pump the shocks a few times for them to work right. So do that drop test like five or six times, and the last one is gonna be what it really does.

Shocks... aren't really for handling jumps. A properly setup car ABSOLUTELY is gonna bottom out on a big jump. And usually, even pretty tame ones. But it won't pogo out of control. That's the goal here.

Heck, most of my cars will smack the chassis down off a 12" drop. But they land ~and stay landed~.

I'll swap out the springs then. The ones it came with sat a little low, but I can adjust that, but I also have a bunch of other RC shock springs for reasons.

I took it out this afternoon and it's crazy how much better it handles. Like it's glued to the ground by comparison to what it was. And it lands jumps over my head like nothing. I'm also surprised at how well it controls in air.

The Hart truck that was so cool that I decided to get a real RC car is really garbo to drive after it. The oil shocks I added to it helped, but the comparison is just to stark. I want to get a second hobby grade one, but my wife was just technically laid off in a restructure and we won't find out until January if she has a Job in February. So I'm not supposed to buy things.

At least it'll give me time to decide if I want another 1/16 for ease of parts swapping, or if I want to go up to a 1/10.

Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll bother you about more things later.

Edit: that video was after dropping it a few times because I couldn't work the slomo camera on my phone. But it doesn't bounce like it did off jumps so it works.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

So, good news, the lipo zee batteries I got made a world of difference in speed vs the generic lion it came with. I didn't realize how much higher/farther/faster it would ramp. In completely unrelated news it's absolutely time to buy new shocks.

Nerobro posted:

I say best. But I will point out, that these are ~all~ trash. Spending $20 on Yeah Racing, or 3 Racing is a massive step up from these. They come with pistons of different hole counts, hey come with some sort of volume compensation, they come with oil, they come with spare parts.

I need 68 or 70 mm hole to hole. I wasn't able to find any from either of those brands around $20. The only $20 ones I found that had good reviews were haiboxing. I really only poked around Amazon. But I've got plenty of time to wait while the replacement shock tower comes in if there's somewhere better to order from.