Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Considering getting my nephew something for Christmas. He’s 6. Good idea/bad idea? Kid fuckign loves cars, but I’m hesitant that he will just break an rc or be frustrated about batteries being run down or otherwise not be able to take care of it. I was thinking something like a mini rock crawler like an Axial scx24 or maybe just one of those 1/72 micro cars mentioned a page or two back. Also considering something cheap like a haiboxing 1:18 off amazon. Needs to be fully ready to run and under $150 for sure. Am I overthinking this and just get him something toy quality for $30?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I was looking around Amazon a bit and they have an AX24 by the same company for almost the same price as the SCX24. According to the reviews I just watched it’s slightly more capable out of the box since it has 4 wheel steering and more suspension travel, but lots of people like the SCX for the realistic styling. Thinking of going with the AX.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Kibner posted:

If it's for a 6 year old who likes cars, I think the more realistic styling of the SCX might go over better, tbh.

Yeah I think it’s kind of a tossup there. He might love the one that looks like a real Jeep, but then again, the other one looks like a “Monster Truck” so it’s hard to say. I was just kind of thinking what’s more likely to be able to drive over whatever little toys he makes a course out of.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The AX24 went over really well with my nephew. As I suspected he calls it a “monster truck” even though no one ever said those words. He’s surprisingly adept at switching between the regular steering and 4 wheel steer modes even if he doesn’t understand that he could in fact, just stop, rather than run into the wall and flip it. Similarly, kid hates to reverse. He would rather walk to it and pick it up than do a K turn. So the finer parts of rock crawling will probably elude him for a while but he loves driving it around anyway.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 26, 2023