Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I have some old Associated RC10T/RC10T2 trucks/baja beetles (Dahm's Buggsy if anyone remembers that one) that I'd like to maybe get running again someday. They've got electrics from around uh 1994/1995; old AM Airtronics transmitters, Novak Hammer Pro/Racer ESCs (I think I have a Rooster also in my posession somewhere)/14T brushed hand-wounds. The tires are completely trashed after so long, the old shocks are shot, rusty turnbuckles...

Is it even worth bothering with such old chassis considering I'm probably going to have to replace the good lot of the components? I see people trying to sell these cars on eBay for ridiculous prices (450 dollars) because 90s retro, but like, the old stealth transmissions can't handle modern brushless stuff, getting parts for them seems like an ordeal, and does anyone actually race such an old platform anymore?

Modern off-road RC racing these days from the youtube videos I've seen is so repulsive to me at this point on an aesthetic (those bodies are hideous) and kind of a spiritual level with how fast the cars are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

I look at stuff like the Yokomo Super Dog Fighter, Kyosho/Tamiya retro/semi retro buggies like the Egress, the Avante or Turbo Dragon (or the on-road TT chassis stuff which I more or less missed out on as a youth) and they look so much more appealing to me to build than a brushless motor monster. Some of them are kinda silly looking but at least they look like cars.

I've read up on how tracks are just carpet or hard-pack clay and it just looks like sure it might be fun, but soulless. Like how I feel about people who race RC drones or something.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

The tracks I used to race on outside of a carpet oval were real backyard specials. Think like BMX track looseness, or there's something like this I found which looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OskaaUJTGs

Look at how they're really grooving up the tracks with even old Tamiya stuff. Much more bumpy. As goofy and slow as these cars are, it looks a lot more welcoming to people than some clay track where the electric cars are clearing triple jumps with ease at national events.

IDK Maybe I'm being too "old man yelling at cloud" but like there have been multiple articles of people saying that Off Road is dying because of how fast the cars are/how ugly the cars are/how clique-y it is now.