Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

IVnic8or posted:

The AX10 is a very good choice, mutt2jeff. Plenty of stuff available to hop it up and spend more of your money. Put weights in your front wheels and mount your battery on top of the front steering servo for vastly improved crawler performance. If you have not yet, lock the rear differential too.

This thread is definitely for me. I've worked in the RC industry for a long time. I currently am a project manager for a RC car manufacturer. I found a few things I've developed in some on the pictures in this thread, which I get a real kick out of.

Anyone have any questions about the industry? Would be happy to answer as long as it doesn't violate my non-disclosure agreement with my employer.

What happened to that fat kid who was unbeatable back in the nineties. He drove for associated, I think. I was so jealous of him, back in the day. Brian something?

I happen to have a tamiya tlt-1. I had long forgotten why I bought it, until this thread came up!

I am really glad that there is a trend toward a sort of scale realism. At least they are making more than "stadium trucks" and "buggies" now. Those short course trucks look pretty awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
Has anyone actually used the words, "scale speed"? I have only seen it on the boxes of Nikko rc cars and stuff that you find in radioshack.

I just dug out some of my R/C Car Action mags from the early nineties, man are they hilariously styled! I may try to find the most interesting articles to scan. Unfortunately there isn't much relevance in them. I don't have it, but there is an ad for a buyer's guide that has a guy in zubaz pants on the cover. I take that back, some of them have articles on cars that were out of production at the time. One of them was a tamiya (I think) super beetle with realistic suspension set up complete with trailing arms.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

The majority of RC cars are vastly powerful for their size/weight and will reach their top speed in a few very short seconds. Scale speed on an RC car would probably be boring.

I know, I was asking about the term as used in the title of this thread. Because I have never felt the need to use the term, I was wondering if it was a problem with anyone else. I don't mean restricting a car to it's "scale speed" I mean telling someone that their car goes 350mph, scale speed.

krushgroove posted:

That was probably Chris Chianelli, one of the original guys that worked at RC Car Action (used to the be best/only RC magazine in the US). His thing was being 'wild and crazy'. Not to be a buzzkill but he died recently - late last year I think.
Close,

I had pants and sunglasses similar to the above, BTW.

For comparison, here is the Ayatollah Radio-Controlla from the same issue,

Check out those pants!

Speaking of real speed,

Do they still do that sort of thing?

Here is that chubby cheeked mother fucker that I mentioned earlier,

Here is one of my fave ads from back in the day, I thought that girl was so hot that I just noticed the bald guy today!

That Genuine Stank fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 4, 2009

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

krushgroove posted:

#1 question from people watching you play with your car/truck: how fast does it go (but no one ever wants to know the 'scale speed' - the last thing I bought that advertised scale speed was my Tyco slot car set)
#2 is how much (hint: to show off, tell them it's about $1000; to encourage new hobbyists and keep the cool poo poo coming, tell them you can get something similar for about $150)

It's kinda funny that people still hate on Kinwald - but I have seen him acting like a dick a few times (have seen most of the US racers doing this). Masami, on the other hand, is a total class act until he's just behind you on the track. He's turn-marshalled my car in low-ranking finals, I've seen him clean up the pit area after a big race and he's generally pretty cool.

And I used to love that ad too, when I was first getting into the hobby I would call AE for their massive Xerox'd catalogs. The ad and look of the car were the reasons I got the Worlds kit as my first 'real' RC kit (after the Grasshopper some years before).

#1 I guess that I don't know how to ask a simple question.
#2 I am not sure those are answers to my question.

I only hated Kinwald because I thought that he was younger than me and I was jealous as poo poo over it. Turns out he just looked younger.

As much as I liked that ad, I don't think that it dawned on me that it was an RC10 in the picture until a few years later.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
I just came across this site on rctech and I thought that I would share. Lots of memories. http://www93.sakura.ne.jp/~time-tunnel/index.html

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

kuffs posted:

Just picked up an rc10gt with a spare parts chassis. I should have yet another rc10gt on the way from a friend.

I think I'm going to look at things and see if I can't convert one of the trucks to a rally car. I'm thinking arms off of a b3 or b4 should probably do the trick. Any ideas on front wheels that will take a 26mm tire? Now what I really need is a Lancia Stratos body, but I think the wheelbase is probably a bit too long for that.

Other questions:
There's no gotchas on using an Airtronics servo on my Futaba receiver right? Aside from having to change the pinout on the plug perhaps?

What kind of steering servo do nitro touring car guys usually use? I have a high torque on mine right now, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

I too have similar aspirations to make a frankenmobile. I am not sure that making a rally car out of a truck would be very succesful though, it may be easier to fit longer a arms to the touring car you have and rally tires of course. I am going to try something similar, only I am going to try to make it closer to scale. If not that, I will try to make it into a short course truck.

Right now, I have an HPI RS4 MT that I just put back together and worked out some cobwebs on. I just happened to have a set of proline sand paws laying around and decided to pop those on it. After a while of running it, I came across a large, wet hill of sawdust. I put it on the side and it climbed right up the side like it was nothing. It wasn't until later that I realized the similarity to formula off road! It isn't very scale with the independant suspension and all, but I have a tlt-1 with solid axles that, with a little lengthening of the wheel base and a jeep body would look quite a bit like the real thing. I will try to get video of it climbing the hill tomorrow.

The servos should be fine, I just hooked up a traxxas servo to my futaba reciever to test it out and it worked. I have a nitro rs4 as well and I just used the standard servo that came with my radio kit and it seems to be okay. I wouldn't change out a strong servo for a weaker one though. Are you talking about putting the stronger one into the rc10gt? If that is the case, I would say that the rc10gt needs it more than the touring car.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I just took a look at the "custom paintjob" thread at rc tech and noticed that 97/100 bodies were tribal flamejobs with gimmicky poo poo like dropshadows and that torn metal look. Do you get a lot of requests for that sort of thing? I noticed that your bodies are much more interesting than the average "custom" job is why I ask.

Mostly, I like the replica paintjobs. Though they seem to get overlooked in favor of bodies that get comments like, "Wow, the way that you started out white on the nose and faded into a color that made up completely symmetrical tribal flames and finished it off with random torn through metal that had a shadow cast over a checkered flag and a bizarre water droplet effect is really awesome. I would like to have you paint my bodies, but I can't afford it."

I have also gotten the impression that $100 is the going rate, that seems expensive from the point of view of the purchaser, I am sure, but seems like giving away from the point of view of the painter. As uncreative and undesirable as most of those jobs look to me, it still looks like there is more than $100 worth of effort and skill involved.

On the formula offroad subject, I ran my truck up the sawdust pile a few more times. I was still struck by the resemblance to formula offroad, but now that the sawdust has dried a bit, the truck gets stuck much easier. In fact, it got stuck at the top of the pile about twelve feet up! I need to find a better surface to take advantage of the paddles that I have on there right now. I think that this could offer an alternative to those who find rock crawling tedious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

krushgroove posted:

If it's a club that's been there a while, there's probably a shop close by (or at the track) that will be able to help you find a used car/radio setup, or a suitable starter setup for not too much more than a used setup. Give it a try! :) off-road is a lot of fun. I'm glad CORR-type kits are getting really popular now, I used to run a Dodge Ram body on my Rally, was a lot of fun.

I agree with you on the CORR stuff. The problem is that I hear people say that the associated truck is much better than the slash and that it will take over its throne. The reason why it handles better is because it is basically an rc10t (forgive me for the old term, I don't remember what the current truck like thing is) with a short course body on it. I think that sort of takes away from the spirit of racing in a formula class that is meant to be different from the non-scale classes.

I would suggest that there should be multiple formula classes like formula mazda, formula ford and formula vdub. Then I realized that the population of the hobby probably couldn't support that. The main issue for me is cost. I may be remembering wrong, but isn't the slash significantly cheaper than the other CORR trucks?