Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Hey I was wondering if anyone could identify this old RC car I've had for awhile. I got it when i was pretty young and i loved driving it around, though it ate AAs like a champ and need 6 of em at a time.

Bonus image of the "Go Fast" switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

I've never raced before but I wanna get into it. Though its been 15 years since I even regularly drove a RC car, and that was just a toy one i got for Christmas.

The closet track to me that has regular races is this indoor place in Seattle. So I was thinking of running a 1/10 scale 4WD touring car. I found this while looking at various kits Schumacher Mi4CX But I realize its probably a bit high end for someone just starting out.

Anyone got any recommendations for a different kit, or recommendations for what i should get if I went with this one?

Edit: Here's a link to the various classes the place I want race at runs. http://seattlercracers.com/specsrules/ I figure i would be running in the Novice class and then the Stock Touring class.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 12, 2012

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Bought a Sprint 2 Flux a few days ago and finally ran it around today after i figured out they plugged the ESC in backwards. Drove it around my road and over the curbs and so far I've lost one of the wheel drive shafts and 2 screws. So instead of a 4wd drive car its a rear wheel drive car now. Still fun as hell though, but i gotta get back to the hobby shop and pick up some replacement parts.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Welp snapped the rear drive belt on my Sprint 2 Flux, can't bodge it to run now, finally have to go down to the hobby shop for replacement parts.

List so far: one drive shaft, 2 screw and 2 nuts, rear drive belt.

Also I gotta figure a way to secure my speed controller to the body since the double sided tape they used came undone.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

My Sprint 2 Flux ate another rear drive belt, you can really tell they just took a car designed for lower power and dropped a more powerful motor in it. I had a look at it close up and it looks like the rear belt rubs against the motor so I am gonna see about bodging in a tensioner to keep the belt tighter and up off the motor.

Edit:

Laserface posted:

its HPI, in my experience all their models have one component that is considered a consumable.

Wouldn't mind having to replace the belt now and again if it didn't involve tearing entire rear half of the car down. Well, it doesn't need to be tore all the way down, but pretty close.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 6, 2012

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Well looks like I might of killed my Sprint 2 Flux, motor won't turn though the servo works fine. So it has to be a speed control problem or a problem with the motor.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Well I don't much feel like trying to figure out whether the ESC or the motor is busted on my Sprint 2 Flux, so i think i'm just gonna buy a better ESC and see if the motor will work. If it doesn't i'll just buy a new motor as well. I'd try seeing if its something i could fix on the ESC but its completely sealed to be water proof.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

My new ESC came for my Sprint 2 Flux, the engine is fine so I managed to run it some today. Bought a bunch of spur and pinion gears to try out different gearing. I got a 96 tooth spur gear and a 15 tooth pinion gear on there for now, gonna try different combinations later. Also gonna get around to buying a 4s lithium battery pack since the ESC is rated for it.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

jaeger posted:

I'm pretty new to R/C and completely new to LiPo. Trying to figure out what best to buy for my HPI sprint 2 flux to replace the NiMh battery pack that came with it. After reading back through the thread as well as poking around R/C sites I think I mostly get the basics but one thing I'm still not sure about :

Back on page 55 a charger and 2S 20C 5000mAh were linked from HobbyKing. If I've understood the numbers properly that means 5000/1000 x 20 = 100A discharge, right? If my ESC (Flux Motiv Brushless) is rated at 70A continuous and 380A burst, how does that jive with the 100A discharge from that pack? Does the ESC sort out the discharge or do I need to find a pack whose discharge rate is closer to the rating of the ESC?

The battery and charger in question:
Battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14976__Turnigy_5000mAh_2S1P_20C_hardcase_pack_USA_Warehouse_.html
Charger: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18066__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories_USA_Warehouse_.html

I like this charger also because it seems to be able to do LiPo and NiMh both, so I could keep my original NiMh pack around as a standby, though I plan to have 2 or 3 LiPo packs around, most likely.

Apologies if this has already been covered; there's a lot of various LiPo-related discussion in this thread but I wasn't able to find exactly this answer.

Edit: Looks like I was reading the wrong specs page! Apparently my sprint 2 flux brushless RTR has a Flux Vapor ESC, not Flux Motiv. With that said, I'm having trouble finding the numbers for the Vapor, it just seems to say "40% more power than the Motiv". I guess that puts it close to the 100A mark if that refers to the discharge rate.

the Flux Vapor ESC is just a re-branded Sidewinder SCT or Sidewinder v2 made by Castle Creation. I am guessing its the Sidewinder v2, look up the info for those two and see which one it is.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

I took my Sprint 2 Flux out today to drive it and after awhile I figured something was wrong. I ran the car while I had it sitting up on its rear and I could stop the rear wheels by touching them as well as the front right wheel while it was going full blast.

This being a 4wd car this was a problem. I checked the rear diff and it just needed to be tightened, the front right wheel on the other hand had managed to ground the Nut the wheel goes over, and inside of the wheel all to hell.

I made a temporary fix with some tape and tested it out and now its ultra fast since its putting out all the power on 4 wheels instead of one. I will need to gear it down again to help with engine cooling and control-ability.