Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I just ordered a Tamiya DB-01 kit yesterday thanks to this thread. Its out for delivery right now. Have wanted to get a nice RC car off and on for a couple years now. Can't wait to get home and build it so i can drive it around in the back yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

They're really, really fun even in stock form with the slow silver can motor. I played with mine for about 2 months before going insane and getting a Novak 4.5

Oh, and after you've bashed a little, take it back apart and retighten the ball diffs. They like to loosen up a little after the first assembly.

Also, this will make your life so, so much more enjoyable while building it.
http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.sc?categoryId=57&productId=410
I can't recommend them enough. I took apart the whole car after building it the first time because disassemble for fixing/checking things is a pain with the unimpressive screws Tamiya provides.
Some good screwdriver-style hex wrenches make things even easier.

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered the screws too so i can replace them when I fix stuff later. Its sitting on my porch at home now and I'm stuck at work for another 4 hours :(

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Just got the car running, its fast, now its time for sleep since its 4:30 in the morning.

edit: now with a picture! albeit terrible lighting

FireTora fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 3, 2009

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Just ordered a 17.5 Novak brushless system for my Durga. I have no idea what to get for a battery/charger though. I'm using a tower 1900mAh NiCD right now and want to get a lipo, but have no idea what brands/chargers are good or if it even matters.

Any reccomendations? I'm willing to spend up to around $150 for a lipo + charger, want the battery to last as long as possible and I'd prefer a faster charger but only take it for a spin one or twice a week so it doesn't have to charge that fast if the battery is gonna last me a good while.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Man I already broke the car before even draining my NiCd since my LiPo wont be here for another few days. Rear a-arm fell out and 2 little pieces that hold it in the suspension block got lost. Now i must order more parts and wait longer to enjoy my new motor. I love how much faster it is though, was a lot more fun the short while i got to run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

That thing is horrendous.

In other news I got my Durga all back together. Got my 17.5 brushless last week and the rear a-arm pivot stripped the suspension block and popped out before the battery was completely drained after its first run. So I ordered the aluminum suspension blocks and mount for the rear and carbon reinforced a-parts since the little balls disappeared in the lawn when it broke. Got it all back together last night and the car is so much more enjoyable to drive around now with the increased speed and power.