Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jonathan posted:

Is that BigFoot 10 in the background? Have you made a thread regarding this ?

yeah what the gently caress talk about the Bigfoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I miss the monster trucks of old that were just regular trucks lifted to gently caress with big wheels :(

I drove one of the original taurus trucks in NZ, got air any everything.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

My guess is Traxxas. Revo platform maybe? Or maybe Stampede 4x4.

They have been doing a lot of licenced MTs lately.

how is the HPI wheelie king in terms of general gently caress-around-ness? MT thread has me wanting a toy one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sh4 posted:

Couldn't buy kuff's platinum Slash so I just ordered a brand new Slash 4x4 VXL, should get it in a few days and it should be fun for loving around at the beach.

Also that way if my wife like it I'll buy the slash knock off from hobby king and put the VXL stuff in it and upgrade mine with turnigy stuff. Also ordered the iPhone dock thing for the TQi TX because it seems like an useful gimmick will report about it's usefulness.

Have not ordered Lipo's tho because I wanted your recommendations on chargers before ordering, I'm looking at this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F17508%5F%5FJust%5FAnother%5FCharger%5F80W%5F6A%5F2%5F6S%5FBalance%5FCharger%5Fw%5FPSU.html because I can use it at home or directly on a battery but I don't know anything about the specs any advice ?

I have an identical charger to that and its fine. mine is the Imax one (bought it from hobby king)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Any Tips for someone about to run an actual timed race day? running VTA class.

also can someone tell me how a RC race day is actually run? I get the basic idea but still not entirely sure how it all comes together.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HPI has a 5th scale 4WD electric short course coming out by the looks of it. It looks pretty heavily based on savage components (TVP chassis, suspension arms and shocks, but upscaled?). while I cant be mad at a new RC, especially in 5th scale, I had a lot of problems with my savages that never really got resolved through new components or hopups from third parties (diff ring gears not keeping up with the power of newer .28s and up, slipper clutch not being at all adjustable causing spurs to strip regularly, amongst others) and it puts me off buying something like this seeing that the tech I had trouble with is being scaled up.

Losi is very similar in that respect - a lot of their models are just the same chassis with different wheels and body, maybe a change in track/wheelbase thanks to different arms, and they call it a day. I guess a lot of their products are focused on bashers rather than racers, which they would then make it cost effective for them as a spares supplier to have a lot of cross-platform components

Maybe krushgroove can comment on this - whats the average cost of developing an ALL NEW product?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

OK, yeah, thats a lot of poo poo.

How do X-ray, AE and the rest afford to produce new Touring cars each year? I get the feeling that due to the bulk of parts being CF/machined aluminium they are somewhat cheaper to produce?

EDIT: looked at the flux savage - They have changed nearly every part that was a problem in the SS/4.6 models. diff ring and pinions are now machined, steel spur gears.

thats kind of cool actually. The savage(s) I had were definitely some of the tougher models available at the time, and the TVPs gave them that authentic MT look that truggys and other models (T-Maxx, MTA4, LST) just didnt have. The only bad thing about them was that they didnt handle as well as the LST2 I ended up buying, and I felt that the LST was a better design to work on even if it was a little dated.

the 3 speed for the savage was definitely one of the coolest things ever - having it rev out and snap into the next gear sounded cool as poo poo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbhSeL9WVXc

Makes me wish I still knew all the guys that used to hijack BMX tracks so we could go out every sunday and huck RCs at the moon :( simpler times man.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 18, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

even a 2S pack in a decently hot brushless system will run 60mph. I had some weird 6T hacker brushless system in a touring car with a regular 6cell pack and it was capable of running 65 on foams

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use club transponders. Sure their are big and i have to mount it on the windshield (inside) but its free and helps me make min. weight for my class.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

needknees posted:

A few clubs I've raced at don't even offer house transponders. Since I've been on both sides of things (racer, race director) I can completely understand why. They're a huge PITA to deal with... people LOVE to walk off with them, and they're not exactly cheap to replace.

I really need to implement a "leave your keys/license/right shoe" type of deal for house transponders :geno:

im fortunate in that most of the people at my club have their own so there is a full rack of 20 or so to choose from at any given time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can anyone provide insight into what goes into an indoor RC track? we get rained out here a lot and it seems like it would make a ton more sense to combine a shop and a track indoors to have weatherproof racing year-round.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

From what I've seen in SoCal and the UK, the cost of the location is the primary factor - maybe 70-80% of the success of the track is on the rental cost. It doesn't matter if the track's been there for ages, or if the space is owned by an owner of the track, rental costs are the deciding factor.

Plus, you've got heating costs in the winter, electric costs in the summer (for AC or fans, etc.), setting up accounts with distributors and actually building the track, whatever it is. If it's nitro, you'll have the fire department and local codes to deal with (for fumes). Stocking and manning the shop can be easy or hard depending on how much money you've got and who you know that's good with people. Finally, you have to get the word out and get people to come and race for the first few weekends - THEN you have to keep them coming (as in, not piss them off because you won't give them a discount on a kit, and not piss them off because you docked them a lap for jumping a barrier in the Mod A Main).

If it sounds like just a list of problems, that's what it is - but luckily some people feel they have the energy to take them all on and just do it :)

If you can get in touch with manufacturers for free/cheap banners, great. If you know some friendly & helpful local racers who are happy to staff the shop a few hours a week for some parts discounts, awesome. If you have an inheritance or a few credit cards bank loan to set everything up, go for it!

Cool, Thanks. Its pretty much financial suicide to open a hobby store in Australia since internet shopping with overseas sellers undercut local prices by a significant margin. Local distributors have historically done a really lovely job of supplying parts, which in turn hurts the consumer because when they order parts, the distributor doesnt have it, and wont order it until they get a big order together to make price breaks with the manufacturer.

I figured theres no real way youre going to be able to get the income to pay rent without having a storefront selling parts. I guess you just offer a membership card to the track that includes a small token discount in store and discounted race fees?

The only way I feel it would work as a LHS/track scenario is if you keep a handful of kits in stock that are competitive in the classes you race and then supply parts exclusively for those products (that youve bulk ordered from overseas websites because its still cheaper than local wholesalers).

what about the track side of things? obviously you want a computer of some kind for timing plus the timing system, but I mean like track surface/layout - I guess onroad would be cheapest as you can use the existing floor or lay carpet.

I think you could pull off offroad well but it costs a lot more for the surface (im guessing?) Id love to start a micro offroad club (1:18 scale stuff) but its just not that popular here. I guess it could be a bit of a 'if you build it they will come' though - there is currently no dedicated micro racing club at all.

nitro indoors would be silly, although I guess you could do an exhibition day or something occasionally.

FYI Im not really in a position to build and operate a track - I have no experience with it, but I like to have contingency plans for the day I stumble across a briefcase full of hundred dollar bills :)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

stuff about RC things

The way I would do it is just stock 1-2 models of each class we run from a few popular brands to minimise your stock, which allows you to keep more parts on hand.

I just looked up on tower - you can order 9 SC10 factory team kits and even with the $400 shipping for those units factored into the individual pricing its still cheaper per unit by $50-70 than prices for the non FT kit. you could essentially sell the FT kit for the same price as the locals retail the base kit and STILL make money on it.

throw in free club membership for all in store purchases of new kits (except to existing users, to promote them paying). membership discounts your club entry, free practice sessions and VIP access of some sort (early ordering of new kits, priority race entry?) that could be perhaps for an additional (small) fee.

most clubs round this part charge membership fees for upkeep of the club, so drivers would be used to it. The only problem you have with it being a business as well is that it will always be disputed where the fees are going, In my opinion anyway.

anyway, its fun to dream :)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Anyone here from Houston? What's the legality of driving one of these around a big field in a park? Assuming there aren't many people around, of course. I'm looking to get back into the R/C game (had a T-Maxx when I was 14), but I live near downtown and don't have many options otherwise.

Im not in the US but some parks in my area specifically have signs saying no RC planes. sometimes also an RC truck picture.

its pretty much a regional thing, sometimes on a per-park basis.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ha, $300 for body panels on the losi?

I will never ever own a 5th scale, I guess. :(

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the cost of even 1/8 buggy kit rollers boggles my mind sometimes.

On another discussion - does anyone feel like RC, mainly offroad classes, arent really that separate?

I mean, buggy, truggy and now shortcourse all seem to use the same basic buggy chassis (3 diffs) rather than actually being their own class. They all just change arms and tires and call it a day and a new class.

thats something I always liked about the MT class, was that it was always different models with different designs and strengths and weaknesses in comparison to each other.

I mean take the body off a few truggies and try and tell me which model is which. it feels kind of stagnant when a new class comes out(short course) and model cos are quick to get on board but they just skip the RnD of a new model and make arms and wheels to fit their latest and greatest buggy kit.

I mean there is a lot of differences between each of those classes, but within the classes it just seems like a lack of innovation on the designers behalf.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

each of those is pretty different. the losi is 3 diff, the ae is belt drive with a front clicker/one way, and the slash is 2 diff shaft drive i think.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

had my first official race meet last night and had lots of fun, despite some issues with the car. 4 weeks have been washed out due to rain and its the start of a new points score season, so the track was buzzing.

Racing in VTA and I managed to land 8th from a grid of 9 for the final. finished in 7th place. The two things that hurt me were the short runtimes of the heats/finals (5min) compared to the practice days I am used to (15 min) and the coooold air temps (8C) compared to the previous days.

so for the heats my tires are only getting warm in the final minute of racing. in the final this is obviously a bigger problem as I have to baby it for 4/5 the race. it also appears that I could use a decent setup (one of the guys told me it looks like too much weight is shifting and to adjust the droop) and a proper alignment.

all in all an educational and fun night despite freezing my rear end off. The VTA class is pretty good about being a lovely driver and welcomes the 'rubbin is racing' technique.

my foot hurts from catching a mini whilst marshalling though :(

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the losi micros are good fun indoors.

i had the desert truck (identical to that one but with a different body and wheels) and it was a blast.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What is a good, affordable setup station for 1/10 Touring?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

Those crawlers are kick-rear end!

Question: Someone offered me a brushless Emaxx and a 1/16 Exceed Maxstone crawler (brushless conversion) for an item I have on Craigslist for $900.
Is either truck any good? I'm used to my Stampede. I wouldn't mind a crawler, but I wanted something bigger. And I am not sure I need another monster truck.

I wouldnt do it, personally. the e-maxx is pretty old and 1/16 is fairly small for a crawler (unless you want small)

either way its definitely not $900 worth.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Mod Tourers at my club are pretty god drat quick. for reference a fast 21.5T spec lap is about 21 sec (with VTA 21.5 being about 22-23) and the mods are pushing low 15s.

The way I see it is that they are effectively hitting the same corner speed as the 21.5 class, they are just gassing/braking a lot more on the straights. it seems pointless to me when 21.5 and even 17.5 is gobs of fun.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vta tires last a good while, easily 6-7 3 race meets if you rotate, condition and have good alignment.

And vta is basically "rubbing is racing" at our club. The bigger your car, the more right of way you have.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

stop posting about crawlers and start posting about this bigfoot thing thats coming out god dammit!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so do these new gasoline based MTs from LOSI and HPI have any benefit besides not getting reamed by hobby shops for nitro fuel? are they more powerful per CC?

is there any decent clips of the sound of the engines?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I owned 3 savages back in my nitro days (1 SS kit, 21 RTR and 25RTR parts cars/friends cars) and eventually sold all three to buy an LST2.

I greatly preferred the LST2 for a few reasons, one being the amazing handling in comparison to the Savage and the easier to work on design. Interesting to hear someone say they are lovely to work on because that was never my experience.

the three speed in the savage with a hot .28 was pretty fun, I will admit. the savage could take an absolute beating as well. I was regularly hucking mine off berms at the BMX track and hitting 30-40 feet high flat drops onto gravel and the only times that killed it was when one wheel took the impact.

The Savages achilles heel however is the spur gear/slipper clutch. even with the dual slipper I could never get it to 'work'. it was either locked or slipping to the point of melting the centre out of itself after a few runs. essentially on a day out with the guys it was always 1-2 spur gears a meet, although we did drive them pretty god drat hard.

The savage of today is pretty different to what I had - seems they lost the twin shocks (which was probably a good idea - it was always too stiff to handle well, but could take the big impacts great) and the extended TVPs are probably nice but I really liked the stout, scale-esque shape of the originals (though I upgraded mine to a set with bolt-in skid plates for extra rigidity). the plastic diff cups were poo poo and chewed themselves apart (so I went up to metal), I had never tuned nitro before, and back then the parts supply for HPI in Australia was literally one guy in Canberra buying SS kits in bulk and parting them out, so any gently caress up (and I had many) resulted in a week or so of waiting for new parts.

I wish I still had friends in the scene because I would love to try one of these new ones out, but I just dont have the time or the patience for it any more :(. I dont even get to use my VTA racer that i built.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Counterpoint: I have a 2S lipo hard case at home that I fully charged and left to die and it hasnt caught on fire in 3 years.

did the same with 3 soft case 3S packs for my drone. one of them wouldnt hold a charge but the other did. i threw them both out because they didnt fit my new drone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

IT'S ALIVE!*

Not sure if I posted this in here or not. It's a Radio Shack 4x4 Off Roader. Circa 1985 just like me. This is the 49 MHz model. The 27 MHz was yellow. It quit working a hell of a long time ago but I kept it for whatever reason. I finally got around to getting an ESC and a battery for it around Christmas and just got a new soldering iron the other day so I could get some new leads on the motor. There's no suspension at all so it's a bouncy little bastard, but it put a big dumb smile on my face once I got it fired back up. I have absolutely no plans for it other than breaking it out every once in a while to go dick around with. It does have a pretty slick little gear selector under the gearbox that moves the main gear that the motor engages with back and forth. "F" is your regular dick-around gear, but if you slide it over to "S" it turns into a loving crazy crawler/granny gear. No idea what the actual reduction is, but it'll climb the poo poo out of stuff. Super happy to have this thing going again. Well, sorta.

* It was alive. I'm pretty sure I already smoked the motor. I don't think the 30+ year old Mabuchi cared much for the LiPo. Oh well. Excuse for a new motor, I guess... :)

I had the Yellow one. it was my first toy as a child and it still ran on the 15 year old Nicad rechargable C-cells my dad got with it when I finally had to dispose of it due to the tyres perishing after sitting for many years.

Its probably responsible for my love of RC stuff (which is now drones).

cool!