Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I used to have a crappy Kyosho Raider and then a Tamia Mantaray when I was kid, but I always wanted a 1/10th touring.

This year I ended up buying a TA05IFS, starting to build it and then promptly forgot about it once I had to start working on my 1/1th car.

I just wonder, are there some good begginers guides anywhere? I did some searching but all I could find were forums full of people who do this sort of stuff in their sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I finally managed to build most of my TA05-IFS, but now I need some electronics. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this as the last time I built one of these things I was about 10.

A friend gave me a better motor, I think it's an lrp although I think I might just use the standard motor anyway. Also he gave me an lrp ipc 7.1 esc, but it looks pretty beat up and he said it may need to go back to them to be rewired. So if this thing is no good, what esc do you think would be good, same goes for a steering servo.

Are there any good sites that have beginners guides etc? as i'm reading some forums and there seem to be allot of tricks and tips that i'd have to spend hours reading through tonnes of useless crap it seems.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I like the look of the castle sidewinder, i'll have to see if I can get one in the uk. Do the brushless motors make a big difference? If the esc does give you the option to switch between the two that would be great.

Also I found a suitable digital futaba servo. Another thing I noticed that some of the new radio gear is no longer FM and runs on 2.4ghz, i'm assuming they are much better than the old ones as well?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

If you're a dedicated racer the 2.4gHz stuff can feel slower but most people (like, 99%) won't notice, so get it and never worry about frequency conflicts or crystals ever again :)

I'm not sure about Castle distribution in the UK (I'm in the UK) but if you like that see if you can get the HPI Flux Motiv system, it comes with a 4600KV motor which is plenty fast for nearly everything.

It sounds worth it then, I vaugely remember having trouble with crystals ages ago.

Oddly when I first was looking I wanted a HPI kit I think a Sprint 2? Can't remember why I went with a tamiya.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Just a quick question for krushgroove, seeing as you are in the uk also. What sites would you reccccccccccccomend buying from? There is a hobbystore not to far from where I live, but I dont know if they are any good or not.

Also is that a good combination, or is that motor too much for a beginner?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

I've used http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ before, they were good to deal with.

I feel kinda stupid now because I was browsing their forums without even knowing they were a retailer. :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Whats a good starter 2.4 radio/reciver combo that wont cost the earth? I was looking at futaba ones but there seem to be so many different models. Also are most esc/recivers compatible with lipos?

I did manage to get a decent digital steering servo, but was kinda annoyed that I have to cut one of the tabs off to fit it into the ta05s chassis.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Heres a stupid question, i'm looking for a battery charger for 7.2V NimH batteries. Years ago I just had a crappy wall charger which I used to leave on all night that probably damaged the battery anyway.

Is something like this ok?
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=31039

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How much stuff do you need to change over to lipo? Because currently I have one NimH sanyo battery somebody gave me. Currently I have a LRP AI Runner Plus ESC, it wont work with lipo will it?

Edit: Just did a quick google on lipo

Which came up with this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

The failures are pretty.......interesting to say the least

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 10, 2010

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

All you would need to run LiPo with a non-LiPo speedo is a LiPo battery cutoff, Novak and other companies make them. You can unbranded ones cheap online. A donated NiMH battery may not have much life left in it and you may as well go for the upgrade when you realize it has nowhere near the runtime and power you want.

I was probably going to buy a second NiMH battery but I do like the idea of the LiPo cutoff. Here comes another dumb question, what kind of LiPo would I need, the esc says its rated to 7.2v max, but LiPo's seem to use different ratings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

I think (and others can feel free to correct me) that a 7.4v LiPo is safe to use with a speedo rated for 7.2v. I'm sure someone has some experience with this, although I haven't tried it myself with that speedo. Best bet is to contact Associated (assuming you're in the US).

I'm in the UK if that makes any difference. You know I never realised how complicated these things were and most RC forums seem to be geared towards pros. Are there any good references for novices? Because apart from my current car (TA-05IFS) my only experience with RC's was building a manta ray with my brother more than 15 years ago.

I do have a friend whos pretty into RC but most of his collection consist of half built petrol buggys