Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Are offroad capable vehicles generally more expensive? I would love to get a nice 4wd setup that could muck around in fields and such as well as play on blacktop. Can anyone make some recommendations for good and reasonably prices starter cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

kuffs posted:

To the contrary, off-road is kind of the default with on-road being a bit more expensive.

If you're starting out, Traxxas has some of the best RTRs around. Pretty much all the hobby stores that do RC have Traxxas parts.

I'm also a big fan of Team Associated. I ran an rc10gt back in the day and pretty much only broke spur gears from driving around in fine gravel. I did melt a diff from over-tightening the slipper, and I did break a body mount when it took off down a 30ft rocky embankment.

I can't go without mentioning Tamiya, Kyosho, Losi, and HPI

Anyway, find yourself an offroad ride that you like and buy a set of street tires for it. You obviously won't have the street performance of a real touring car, but you'll still have fun and won't ruin your knobby tires.

Look at those guys and come back and tell us what you like, and we can probably help a bit.

What am I looking at spending to get up and running with a decent off road setup?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

kuffs posted:

You need a battery and charger for pretty much all electric RTRs. So figure about $100 + price of the car.

I recommended a Traxxas Slash earlier in the thread. Tower has a combo with everything you need for $271.98. I don't own one myself, but I hear nothing but good things about them. Many clubs run spec races for them, so you won't even need additional gear to be competitive (if that ends up being an interest). They are only 2wd though.

Comparatively, Traxxas 4wd setups are pushing more into the $400 to $500 range.

hmmm, any idea what i would be looking at for an out of the box ready 4wd setup?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am looking to get into this hobby as I just landed a new network tech gig and have the money to be in a hobby that isn't in front of a computer screen. I know a lot of guys say to start with electric but also being a car guy I really want to start in nitro. I am looking for recommendations for a solid starter vehicle (truck, as I live in an area with a ton of flat grass and mud) that I can later upgrade with all kinds of cool parts. I am looking to spend around $500-$600. I will also need a remote setup.

What are the defacto RC forums/websites for this kind of stuff? Can anyone point me in the direction of some models I should be checking out?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am looking to get my hands dirty which is why I wanted to get into nitro. I like the idea of working on a little motor and doing rebuilds and whatnot. I have a lot of experience stripping car motors down to the pistons and putting them back together so I think I have the skill set and patience to work on a nitro truck.