Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

krushgroove posted:

Yeah I guess it's about economies of scale - not enough people buying it so the cost is much higher than it ought to be.

I think nerobo ITT has the Trail Trekker, looks to me like it's meant to be the 'scale crawler' in that size, the other one is supposed to replicate a 'comp' or competition crawler. The chassis look pretty similar but the Trail Trekker seems like it has a longer wheelbase, plus the full-bodied scale look. IMO it's the better option.

I do. And it's awesome. I've got some 400mah LiPo's in it now. It will wheelie! however, it's not very fast, nor very exciting to drive unless you're driving it up something fun.

I also have the mini SCT, which I took to a 1/10 scale track on sunday. I wish it were faster... but it handled everything pretty well. I was passing people with 1/10 SCT's. I'll blame that on being able to keep it on the course, and not on it's lid.

The Mini SCT, and the Mini Rally cars handle carpet really well, and are quite fast. If you're looking for soemthing to drive around the house, the Mini SCT and Mini Rally cars are the hot ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Laserface posted:

I have a Mini SCT and its great fun although the track I was running at near my old job was really dry, hard packed and dusty. challenging to get around with 2wd and tiny cars with lots of power.

gonna look into the trail trekker BnD as i already have 2.4ghz gear from the mini SCT.
Erm, excuse me. i have a micro SCT. 4wd, brushed. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Hmmpf. Maybe I should sell off what I have. I got an offer here once, but I never followed up on it. I have six or eight cars, transmitters, and lots of parts.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Laser cutters make everything better.

Even a lowly T-28. This is my repaired airframe. Can you tell I've abused it a bit?

I used cardboard here.

And here, to reinforce the control horns. The plane went from flying like a whale, to flying like it's got the airbrakes on. I can live with the latter.

I love how the plane comes apart.

I remember when these servos were something like $70 each. now I get three with a $99 airplane.

Edit: This probally should have gone in the rc plane thread shouldn't it?

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 26, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

control at high speed is really a question of suspention setup and a touch of aerodynamics.

Any speed is controllable. So long as you can SEE it. And you can maintain a push situation. As soon as you are in the realm of oversteer, you're screwed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Here's the r/c airplane and helicopter thread. it's not as active. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

Sport trainer aircraft are really, very, relaxing to fly. They're stable, they do what you ask. I could almost sleep flying my UM T-28s. My UM Sukhoi takes a lot of effort to fly.

And I don't have any pictures of the sukhoi...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I very nearly bought the beast. How does it handle wind? how does it compare to the UM Sukhoi?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

as long as you have a spectrum reciever in the car, it should bind as normal.

I could go try it out...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I bought a FWD car. and then I never raced it. it's sitting in a box right now. That's very sad.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

yeah, I use off the shelf 220mah two cell lipos. I just change the connector on the car.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I love pan cars. I just don't quite get why pan cars are so unbelievabley expensive. An AWD full suspension car from tamiya is cheaper than a bit of FR4 and four molded bits of plastic.

It's the porsche thing. You pay more as you get less and less.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Dog Case posted:

Man, I haven't played with any of this stuff in years, but I picked up a Losi micro rally car last week and this thing is SO MUCH FUN.
Now I'm scheming up plans to get my old cars from my parents house a thousand miles away.

I ended up with the micro SCT beacuse it had better ground clearance. On carpet, they have enough traction to roll. It's awesome.

Do you have some 2s lipos for it? If not, recifty that. NOW.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So how does one find a place to go r/c car racing. I'm now about an hour from where I was, and the track I was going to was another 45 minutes from there.

Are tracks just that rare? I think I have four slot car tracks I can chose from. But nothing for r/c.

I'm in melrose park, Il. if that helps.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I did not have a good experience at leisure hours. I stopped by during Living Legends, and the guys in the pro-shop were... not pleasant.

"Hey, what classes do you run." and the responses were short, sharp, and vague. "1/10 blinky, 1/10 modified" and a variety of other cryptic responses, all said with speed and a stutter. I wanted to find out what it would take to race there. I left knowing I was a bother because I wasn't "in the know."

At Harbor Hobbies up in Winthrop harbor were happy to explain their popular classes, what chassis were competitive, and what nights the racing was on. And what was a good starter setup.

Which I now own... (Tamiya Mini M05) but I can't spent the 90 minutes to drive there on race nights.

They also were very happy to let me run my 1/24th scale cars on their track.

I just want to run road cars. That's all. Is that to much to ask? :-) I really, really miss my Bolink 91 Sport. It looks like todays equivalent is the Serpent suprstox, or the Mardave chassis.

Edit: Well that's fun. I just mapped both harbor hobbies and lesiure hours. They're both about an hour and ten minutes from my house. Nice.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 18, 2012

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

what's the cheapest way to get a 17.5 or 21.5 brushelsss setup.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yes, you went to a hobby shop. To buy parts for a specific car. From the experts.

That means you took time out of your day. You went to THEM. You trusted THEM. They sold you the wrong part.

If you're doing part number research before you goto the hobby shop, your hobby shop has utterly failed you.

My local carpet course, knows all of the shock available for their commonly raced classes of cars. Including the ones they don't carry.

Where are all the "good hobby shop" stories?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well, I have some good hobby shop stories.

As I've said several times, Harbor Hobbies https://www.harbor-hobby.net

They are knowledgeable, of their classes, and even classes they don't run. They have fair prices. (on everything but batteries.) And the people who run the joint are great. Some of the patrons are ... a little elitist. They are a r/c car shop.

http://ad-venturehobbies.com/ Ad-Venture hobbies, in Wheeling Il. They're mostly a static model and airplane shop. The airplane people are friendly, and quick to help. The r/c car people are hard to get to talk. They have a huge stock of used stuff, and they take models on consignment. I got my MSR for $50 there.

The local HobbyTowns are hit and miss.

The one in highland park is run by a guy with what I think is a sweedish accent. And they have a bunch of very passionate people working there. They have several full timers, and I've always gotten good advice there.

The one in Lake in the Hills has a track. But they're not as friendly. The kiddos who are at the tech bench are usually absorbed in their own thing. The place is mostly stocked with planes, but the focus seems to be on the track. And there was really no real advice to be had on the classes, and what someone should run. When I asked, I got a bunch of wishy-washy answers, and nothing solid enough for me to turn around and try to pick out a truck. The track itself is musty smelling, but that comes from clay, indoors. It is well groomed though!

I have, and happily do return there to spend my money.

The one in Orland Park though, was painful. The layout is useless, and getting the attention of someone behind the counter to help you is an exercise in futility. Heck, trying to check out was a five minute experience. They do have a small rock climbing track.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

powderific posted:

Actually, discovered a servo saver on one of my unused Dingo parts trees and modified it to fit. Seems to work great!

With the new motor the M-05 seriously roasts the tires. Is there such a thing as a limited slip for RC? Is that what ball diffs are? Despite being 2wd it gets around surprisingly well in the dirt, but can get stuck pretty easy if I don't keep up momentum. One wheel will spin a little hole for itself and then it's stuck.

Yes. But ball diffs aren't tamiya racing legal. If you stuff some plastic into the diff, you can lock it up. A hot ticket for FWD racing is a locked, or nearly locked diff. The diff is ok, so long as it has "some" differential action.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I need some help chosing a motor.

I'm looking to do some testing with bicycles, and I need 100-150w of power from an electric motor. (The goal is to test the effect of some fairings, and I want a way to providing consistent power. Or alternatively, a method for measuring power at a given speed)

Could one of you recommend a motor and ESC from hobbyking I could do that with? Something low KV would be ideal, so long as I am not going to melt windings.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Polymerized Cum posted:

What's the cheapest RC helicopter I can buy that has true 3-axis controls? (collective, cyclic and anti-torque)

The cheapest full house heli that I'd trust, is the Blade Nano CPx. There are some fine 4 channel fixed picth heli's for cheap, but if you want collective, $150 or so is the entry price.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I want something little to drive around my computer room.

For a long time, I had the Tomy Bit Char-G cars. Are those still around in any practical way? Is there anything proportional that's a similar size?

What's out there for "really tiny R/C" cars?

OH, and while we're at it, anyone want to buy a Tamiya M-05?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I own a couple of the losi micros. Both micro rock crawlers and the brushed micro SCT. I really want something 1/64 scale, if I can find it. The Bit Char-G stuff is still out there. So are ZipZaps.. so those might be the way to go.

Alternatively, I will need to get really creative finding a micro sized brushed speed control. (Read: taking apart a standard servo and using it's guts..)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

T1g4h posted:

Got any details / pictures? It might be a bit before I can pick up anything new but i'm always curious about good deals.

Sure. I'll get those posted tonight. It's been sitting around for 3 years..and really hasn't spun a wheel. It's got a 2s LiPo in it, and will come with it. Though the guy who built it originally, and ran it, was somewhat hamfisted.

Either way, details to follow tonight. Along the same lines, I've also got a LXT with the XX tranny in it that should go..

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

krushgroove posted:

HPI just released the Q32: http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/114060 really fun, and proper proportional steering

(disclosure: I work for HPI)

That's definitely a car I've been considering. I find the proportional steering to be.. uh.. unique? The idea of using PWM versus a normal motor and a spring is neat.

I'm really thinking I might just be happy enough with my crawlers and driving those as normal cars.

I really was hoping that there was going to be a 1/64ish scale road car with proportional steering by now. The dNano's were close, but also very expensive.

I did find my box of Bit Char-g stuff. If I could find my transmitters I'd be in good shape.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So.. here's the M05 and LXT.

and the LXT

I forgot how badly it needed a bath.

I'd love to get them to someone who'll actually use them. Somehwere here I have a nice 5000mah hardcase pack for the LXT too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

They're neat. They're not fast to accelerate, but my goodness do they stop fast. They're also really stable mid corner.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well.. if you want the full details, they're here:

http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2015/02/bit-char-g-doing-research-long-after-it.html#more

I'll give you the highlights.

One dremel. One utility knife. Two 1.9g servos. 1 micro 2.4ghz reciver. 1 1cell lipo battery. And one Nerobro.

Before surgery.

The parts.....

And the ugly abomination that came from it.

Now, I know it works. I just need to make it pretty. It drives a lot better with a 70ma lipo on there. And you can see my "esc" there.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

And.. I broke the glue that held the front deck on. So I got to drive it 10 feet. I"ll buy more glue tomorrow.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Does anyone know what the FETs used on a Losi Micro Crawler are? I just burnt mine.. and they want $50 to get a new control board.

Iv'e got a total of like five packs through the thing, and then this. :-/

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I.. think... Horizon might be replacing the ESC in my Trail Trekker. That would make my day.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Wow, horizon pulled through. They're sending me an ESC for my Trail Trekker.

I suddenly feel really good about buying 219847109719348 things from Blade, Parkzone, and Losi.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Those 4wd buggies always seemed to be lots of money... I can't believe they sold it with a beer can motor. Tamiya is weird like that though.

I've got a serious affinity for the 1/24 stuff from losi.

Wooah, the Q32 finally is available? And the price isn't bad. The only indicator against it, are the Losi 1/36 stuff. Which while 27mhz, are also "complete" cars. Four a-arms, four shocks, motor and diff that are not unsprung weight. A real steering servo. A clear upgrade path, and a greater choice of tires.

$60 for the Q32

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-...=item1e9ba0c7fc

$80 for a Micro T

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Micro-T-1-36-RTR-Truck-w-Charger-Battery-LOSB0230T1-Red-/201307217839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eded85faf

I wouldn't think very hard over that decision. But I also wouldn't say you're silly for going q32. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Yeah, my other and completely different thought was to go for a used Losi SCT 1/24 brushless..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201321441280?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My DB01 was fun and ridiculously fast (novak 3.5R and a slipper clutch), but it was just driveline/suspension destruction at all times.

The 1/24 brushed Losi SCT and Rally cars are a complete, utter gas. They're "entertaining" with the 4.8v battery in them, and they're FAST with a 2s lipo in them.

Here's mine with a Lipo in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMQiGhr2JZE The big problem at the foam track, was having to much traction, and rolling. Wheelspin wasn't a thing, braking was "now", and the only real limit was my ability to guide the darned thing.

And against the recommendation of the local off road track, I've run the 1/24 SCT at the 1/10 scale track. As long as I timed the jumps well, it went very well.

I expect the brushless will just be "more".

I'm working on building a 2wd 1/24 SCT.. Some guy in spain sells a chassis that stretches a 1/36 losi truck into a 1/24 length, and it fits the bodies for the 1/24 SCT.

My biggest problem at the moment, is being unable to ~find~ my SCT. As I typed that sentance, I think I remembered where it is...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

My preferred surface controllers were ones with two sticks. The only tricky bit, is transmitters designed for flying don't have a center return spring on the throttle. It'll work... but the interface will feel really funny.

For surface work, I end up using a Kyosho Prefex 27mhz pistol grip transmitter, or one of the 2.4ghz "in the box" spektrum pistol style transmitters that come with Losi Cars.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The Losi Micro DT is a hell of a thing.

If the wires didn't give it away... that almost looks 1/10 scale.

The DT ships with the 150mah cell like the Micro-T does. But with a foam spacer to hold the battery fore, or aft in the battery compartment. Moving it shifts the weight balance from 40/60 to 36/64. I'm not entirely sure what that'll do yet. The bigger battery box will also hold the 220mah pack from a Trail Trekker or Micro High Roller.

Most reports I've read and watched about the truck, complain about the rear suspension being soft. It strikes me most people reviewing this truck haven't done serious r/c.. the rear end sagging is to level the driveshafts, and provide enough up and down travel. They complain about the back end bottoming out... and that's perfectly ok. It's a great way to deal with to much down motion. Just feed it to the dirt ;-)

... I should put tape on the bottom of my truck, shouldn't I?

What they miss, is damping. Losi sells oil filled shocks for the Micro-T and DT. I should find a set of those...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I ordered oil filled shocks for my Micro Desert Truck, and my bearings arrived today.

... am I going to be able to resist going brushless? Only time will tell...

jonathan posted:

FYI Trophy trucks (and short course trucks) are solid rear axle, 2 wheel drive, independent fronts with a very narrow bulkhead and very long a-arms They're around 24" travel in the front and 32" travel rear. Short course stuff is lighter and made for springs, the trophy trucks are built for Baja 1000, Mint 400 etc. Generally they make around 800 horsepower and weigh in around 6000lbs.

Some trophy trucks are 4WD too. In an effort to get longer a-arms, I've seen them have the pivots on "the other side" of the chassis, so the a-arms cross in the middle.

They're stunning machines.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well, I got the shocks for my Losi Micro Desert Truck today. And i'm massively disappointed. The shocks are shorter. They have less stroke, are shorter, are rough, are sticky, and can't be built properly.

So, they ship empty. So I got some oil, filled them with 15w. But I discovered that the bladders are to small. There's no step, or pocket for the top sealing o-ring to sit in. So if you build them per normal procedures, the shocks are virtually locked up. Guessing at fluid levels would eventually get a shock that had full travel.

Now once the shocks have full travel, the springs that are proper for the chassis, can't extend them fully. Lowering the oil level, helps. But you end up with inconsistent damping due to bubbles. I tried oiling, and then greasing the shaft seals. That helped smooth the shaft travel, but the shocks still wouldn't extend all the way.

I'm going to give Losi a call monday. I don't expect to get a good answer.

The next question is "how do you get good damping on a micro scale." With the forces involved, stiction is a huge problem. There's something that can give you fluid like damping, without fluids. Magnets... That's how you get stiction free damping.

Suffice it to say, I'm ordering some aluminum tube, and some steel rod. This thing needs shocks. It needs them bad. But the market is poo.

I'm going to be spending a few hours at the hackerspace.....

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The mosfets arrived, so I took a swing at fixing the original ESC/receiver from my Micro Trail Trekker.

That's.. a big hole for a little FET.

The replacement APM4502 MOSFET is in place...

All buttoned up, and tested.

I paid $9 for 5 replacement FETs, and now I have a spare $50 reciever.

More pictures and detail:
http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-blown-mosfet-replacement-and-saving.html

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well, that's really annoying. My Micro DT motor is complete toast. it's had a total of five runs on it.

Horizon Hobby and I are really not having a good relationship lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

jonathan posted:

How do I keep my 2wd slash from pitching nose to the sky when I jump into a headwind ?

You can control airborne attitude with throttle. Brake while airborne, it'll bring the nose down.