Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ziploc posted:

ReVolt?

That poo poo was the BOMB. Also, tons of tracks/cars were available to download on PC.
That was the poo poo. I loved it on Dreamcast. Wow - Appears to be abandonware now (which surprises me). A search for it on abandonia.com will get it.

I would link to it, but I don't want to risk :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Are the scx10 rtr series a decent unit for someone getting their feet wet in RC 4x4s? Looking at a 90022 Honcho

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I went to buy the RTR SCX10 Honcho and it was sold out.

I took the time to do some more research and decided I might want something a little faster anyhow. A big crawler does appeal to me but something that can boogie along at 20MPH+ does too.

Any recommendations?
I was looking at this Team Associated Prolite 4x4

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/ProLite_4x4/RTR/

I'd like something I can tear around in the backyard with, the SCX10 certainly has an appeal still but I'm not 100% sold on anything at this point.

I'd like 1/10 scale ideally.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 31, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think I settled on a Traxxas Slash. Just deciding if I want to go RTR basic, RTR ulitimate, or get the Platinum kit and build it.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Platinum but it might be overkill since I don't race. Just want a good tough truck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Maybe I am a little weird or have been in the hobby too long but everything from Traxxas just bores me to death. There are so many more options for vehicles that are more fun or do what a Traxxas car does only better. They somehow became the toyota-standard of the RC world. If you want something faster and 1/10 electric get the Axial Yeti. That thing is AWESOME! Needs a few upgrades, but from a driving standpoint it is much more entertaining and different to make it cool.

Sh4 posted:

Well stock vxl traxxas like the rustler or slash are extremely fast and very durable (maybe not the rustler but if you don't crash head on it's tough) so when you take them out of the box you have a very good vehicle and most people will not need to upgrade them, also replacement parts are available everywhere and pretty cheap, even for me in EU.
I can get a brand new RTR slash for almost $100 cheaper than a yeti, and it comes with a (admittedly, not great) battery and charger. I'd be lying if I said the Yeti didn't interest me at all though. I have a couple of local hobby stores I might go by today to see if they have anything in stock/decent deals.

I've been spending the last few days looking at reviews of 4x4 trucks and the Slash seems to be pretty highly regarded with no real negatives other than the basic model out of the box probably isn't suitable for racing, but that's fine by me.

Still haven't plunked down my $$ yet, but that's the way I am presently leaning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I held off on the slash but have not ruled it out.

Browsed kijiji (craigs) to see what's available for used, turns out not much for my small city. But, I did come across someone selling brand new Redcat Racing vehicles not far from here. I haven't heard of them before but started doing some research on them and surprisingly to me at least, they don't seem to be junk.

Some of there RTRs seem decently built, many are brushless and come with lipos out of the box.

Any of you guys have familiarity with them?
http://www.redcatracing.com/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I really appreciate the feedback, especially with the frank advice to stay away from Redcat for 1/10.

I think I might get my feet wet with a 1/10 kit though instead of an RTR while keeping in mind the advice you gave on the TT01 Tamiya you gave earlier. I am a sucker for the body (240z) and I can get it in a TT01-D kit out the door for $200.

I noticed HPI also sells a 240Z car but it's significantly more money with no electronics at all.

I figure I can just add a cheap 2 channel radio and battery to the Tamiya and I can get my itch scratched for a reasonable budget. I know it's not going to be setting the world on fire for top speed, but I think I'll be OK with that. I do think I'll want different tires for it though. Crazy idea if a person keeps in mind your advice of throwing more money at that chassis is not the wisest idea?

Building doesn't scare me. I think I even put together an old, old Grasshopper many years ago (like 20) but it's hazy. I have some experience with building models, wrench on my own vehicles, and put together computers so I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

That Sprint 2 Flux you linked to does look great though.

Tell me about those big redcat 1/5 scale Chimera and XB E buggies? How fast do those things go wide open? Are they the same basic unit just dressed up differently? How heavy are they? No, I'm nothing thinking of getting one immediately but I must admit the big scale and power of them looks pretty impressive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KingPave posted:

Similar to slidebite, my other option was the 240Z. I may just look to get the body and the 240Z kit, given that it should be interchangeable for the body if I'm reading the dimensions correctly.
You might be interested in this build thread I found in another forum if you haven't seen it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2131255

The car I am likely to end up with is the Drifter style though, painted Orange when I am done with it.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/4wd-shaft-drive-on-road-%28tt%29-36110/rc-datsun-240z-drift-spec-58473

e: What is the opinion of the HPI Sprint 2 Sport versus Sprint 2 flux? I can get one of those in a RTR GTR for $200.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 3, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Somewhat heroic, can you talk a little bit about the big red cat racing vehicles? I haven't had much luck finding reviews/infos other than from red rock themselves or fanboys. I'm curious to learn more about them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the opinion on Redcat.

So I discovered a local hobby shop that I didn't even know existed and his selection was shockingly good.

I think I have a :gizz: for a Yeti XL. drat, that's a nice looking unit. More than I am looking to spend, but I want it.

ANYHOW, this guy has on the shelf a brand new Tamiya #57764 BMW 320, one of those expert built jobbies for $150 CDN. I figure at that price, I can't go wrong so I'm going to go back and pick it up tomorrow. I figure I can get a 240Z shell if I want in the future as this is one of those TT01 Chassis cars that was discussed earlier.

Actual little car:

Reasonable course of action?

But man, that Yeti XL looks awesome and supposedly goes like hell. Anyone know much about those?

e: Just to be clear, does anyone know if a stock TT01 can take a Lipo battery capable or should I just get a nimh?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 6, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know lipo is better, but does it work with the stock ESC or will I have to mod it right away? It looks like people are running them in tt01 so I guess it's OK :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Duh. Missed that, Thanks.

Although I am seriously considering saving the $$$ even though it's a steal, to go towards Yeti XL

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks, pretty much what I thought and that XL does look like the bees knees. That's the way I'm leaning for sure right now.

I've got another major hobby purchase due within the next month, so I might end up slowing down and holding off for a bit either way.

Everything I've read on that XL does make it look great though. Any downsides other than $ of admission and needing a swaybar?

powderific posted:

If you're that into the Yeti XL maybe you should hold off on buying a touring car and look for something more offroad? Or you could buy ColonelJohnMatrix's non-XL roller and plop some electronics in. Still going to be more expensive than the Tamiya, but last time I tried to save money by getting a cheap Tamiya kit I wound up spending more than the kit price over again in upgrades.
That's what I meant by saving the $$$, putting it towards an XL if I go that route. I'll probably hold off buying a road car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KingPave posted:

At this point, it doesnt make sense for me to jump right in the deep end and buy a higher end vehicle that far exceeds my skill level - I figure I'll be fine with the TT-01ED for a while, and when I exceed it then I can upgrade. From the advice in this thread, sounds like I need to get the TT01 + driveshaft + LiPo batteries - that puts it in sub $450 territory without me hunting for bargains, so I'd rather go down that path.

If shipping wasn't so stupid between Canada and Aus, I'd pick up that RTR TT-01 I was eyeing up here and send it to you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What' are the thoughts of the Associated RC8.2e as an RTR?

I know it's not as big as that gorgeous Yeti but it's quite a bit cheaper and seems to be decently made from what I've seen online.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I haven't ruled out a Yeti but I'm still in the research phase :)

Regarding prices though, The best price I can get a RTR Yeti for $500 CDN.

Amazon.ca sometimes has that Associated for $470 according to camelcamel, although right now it's $524. However, I also was given an amazon.ca giftcard for Xmas for $100 which brings down pricing even that much more. If I could time it right, I might be able to pick up that associated for $370. Maybe. Worst case, $425.

I am not in a rush though so as long as the price doesn't go up I don't mind waiting a bit... although the the CDN$$ taking a dump lately so that's certainly not ruled out :(

I have been looking for used too, but my small city doesn't have much listed other than one of those Snow-Cats and an SCX10 which doesn't appeal to me all that much.

I could go to Calgary but by the time I pay for gas and wear/tear on my vehicle and the pain of dealing with craigs/kijiji people, I might as well buy new.

But to answer your question, the Yeti does look nice and I certainly haven't ruled it out... although the bigger scale sort of floats my boat a bit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Regard Canadian pricing with the rtr at least, some of the prices are actually quite a bit cheaper once you consider converting from US so importing isn't attractive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

About as far away as I can be but still be in Alberta, Lethbridge.

I am leaning towards the XL or the 1/8 Associated, but who knows. PM me if you want with what you'd like out of it if you're willing to ship.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God drat Amazon, I was literally about to buy some lipo batteries (put them in my cart last night) and this AM noticed the jumped the price by something like 50% :argh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I got a good deal on a couple new 3S 40C lipo 5000mHA batteries and a 5 amp lipo/nimh charger so I picked those up already, just deciding on the vehicle.

I have been scouring craigs/kijiji for a suitable used RC for the past while, and nothing has come up without needing to drive 3 hours, so I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just ordering a new Yeti XL.

Any last advice before I buy it? I really dig the look of the 1/8 Yeti and the reviews I've read all seem to be quite positive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Whelp, just hit the buy now button for the Yeti XL. All the other :canada: online stores upped their prices presumably due to our tanking petro-dollar, but still found a place that had them for the old price.

You Am I posted:

If you want cheap good batteries, go to Hobby King. It is amazing how cheap some of their gear is.

Wow, you aren't kidding. Might buy a couple of 2S batteries just because of their price. Thanks for the heads up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh, look at the nice big parcel I got today

:getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

New car bros :hfive:

Sadly, I probably won't be able to take mine out of the box let alone play with it until Sunday.

:(

It's going to kill me. My awesome little neighbor kid that got a 2WD Traxxas for Christmas and plays with it most days is going to poo poo his pants when this thing comes screaming out of my garage :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's an awesome offer. I understand the included chargers with RTRs completely blow so sweet move.

I picked up a combination 5A lipo/nimh charger from Amazon myself. Any idea how long it should take for a 3S 5000mah battery to charge @ 5A?

e: Is it as simple as a 5000mah = 5 amp/hr = 1 hour ?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 23, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is it normal for a brand new lipo battery to be charged enough out of the box that a charger will say it's full?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've seen that now and again; just cycle it at least once.
I will try and run it, it's just that plugging it in the the charger it stays green instead of going to amber (charging).

Will give it a shot. Thanks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There are several decent RTR sets available on Amazon. What do you want? An offroad buggy? Road car? Drift? Scale truck? 2wd? 4x4? Price range?

Do a search for RTR and stick with electric. Find something that floats your boat in your price range and maybe ask some of the folks here for their opinions.

Also, I couldn't wait and stuck my batteries in the big yeti and took it out for a quick rip before I head out of town for the night.

Holy poo poo :stare:

As someone who hasn't driven an R/C car in many years this thing is amazingly powerful. I tried to drive up and over a neighbors remaining snow pile where he shoveled his driveway and I ended up driving right through it. Got stuck for a sec because I was going slow, gave it throttle and it looked like a blizzard and it just came shooting out like a rabid weasel.

The scouts were doing a bottle drive and the dad driving the pickup just stood next to me for 5 minutes while I was ripping on it, mouth agape at the size, speed and power.

Fired up the compressor to blow dry it before I leave but holy smokes, I am so far impressed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You Am I posted:

What brand of charger do you have? It sounds a little too simple to me

It's a "B6" charger. Mine is branded iMax but seems Hobby King has its own branded version too.

It's this exact charger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YgKmcL7DEU

So I ran the big Yeti for about 10 minutes the other day and plugged them back into the charger.

Hit "start" and the light went red just like in the video. However, after about 1 hour I checked on it and the batteries were stone cold and the charger itself was slightly warm. I plugged the charger into a Kill-a-watt and it slowly ramped up to .25A power consumption and stayed there.

So I thought Hmmm.. maybe the battery is about done so I plugged the other battery in, which hasn't been touched since the 10 minute run. Hit start and the exact same thing, charger got to a max power consumption of .25-ish Amp.

I think it's broke right out of the box.

I'll just return it through Amazon and maybe see what the local hobby guy has but this sucks. Unless you have another idea on how do get this to work?

e: Cross posting this to the R/C thread in DIY as well.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 26, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just picked up a venom 2 from the local hobby store. Much nicer unit for sure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Looks cool as hell. Does battery performance degrade appreciably in cold weather?

I think I might want to put some light buckets on the big yeti. As an R/C vehicle newbie, how to the attach electrically? Are there ports on the receiver or something you can typically hook up to?

I'm looking specifically at a couple of Axial items:

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax24257
For the lights/electrics

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30709
for the buckets/hardware

e: What kind of glue do you need for gluing tires to rims? Just a CA?

ee: My big Yeti has a fan on the ESC. It does not turn on when I connect the batteries. Is that a problem? Or are they thermostatic and only turn on when needed?

eee: I also noticed a spark when attaching my 2nd battery (it needs 2 and has no switch) Is that an issue? :ohdear:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 27, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the detailed reply. I confirmed and yes, the fan does turn on when the batteries are first connected. It's only for a second or two though and then off. But, that does make me feel better.

The spark was pretty impressive though. I think I'm going to buy a couple of 2S batteries to use as normal batteries.. the 3s x 2 are just insane.

Appreciate the info on the lights.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Somewhat Heroic posted:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/article/view/2015012303

Holy crap. That is A LOT of Lexan :stwoon: The new radio design looks nice too.

I like the look of that too, but nitro/gas does not interest me in the slightest.

Speaking of, what is the biggest electric out there? Kit or RTR?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Please let me know what that kit is like. They have that one in stock at the hobby shop where I got the XL for a decent price and I was pretty darn tempted.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Question about lipo and storage.

Let's say I charged & balanced up my batteries, ran it for about 5-10 minutes and probably won't run for a few days.

Should I take any precautions if I am not going to run it again for a few days/week?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I picked up a couple of 25C 2s 5000mah batteries and thought I'd try them out to compare versus the 3s 5000mah batteries in the big yeti.

Even with the 2s this thing is stupid powerful, I'd have to run them side by side or throw my phone with a speed log to see the difference.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What do the TT01-D versions use for diffs?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Yeti XL is an absolute monster in the snow and ice and can do 60 on 3S lipo, but it would be a handful to crawl with.

e: I'm not saying you want an XL you should just my .02

I'd still like an SCX10 to build up as a crawler

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 23, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jdfording posted:

My Yeti XL Kit should be here tomorrow. Haven't purchased any electronics for it yet. Going to take my time and build it up over spring.

Servo is going to be a ProTek RC 170T
Motor: Not sure yet but will be in the 2200Kv range
ESC Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 or Tekin RX8 Gen 2 with a BEC. Might give the Hobbywing Quicrun stuff a try also.
Radio will probably be a Spektrum DX4C with AVC
Planning on sticking to 4s lipo

I've got 5 acres to run this thing on. Going to be a blast.

4S lipo on that setup? Jesus. 3S on my stock RTR Yeti XL is bonkers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone know of a pc game controller that is like a rc controller?

I had one in the 90s and it was pretty good but it wasn't USB nor have I seen anything like it in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, they're monstrous.

I like the spare carrier. My RTR didn't have that.