Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Just finished The Wager by David Grann, absolutely incredible audiobook. The narrator (Dion Graham) reads every sentence like it's the most loving interesting thing he's every heard and I tell you, it works. Probably helps that the writing is good. I spent the day cleaning the apartment just so I could finish it.

Tried a couple other books this morning and just immediately disappointed by the narrator every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Just finished The Wager by David Grann, absolutely incredible audiobook. The narrator (Dion Graham) reads every sentence like it's the most loving interesting thing he's every heard and I tell you, it works.

Read his narration of "American War."

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Armauk posted:

Read his narration of "American War."

Long waiting list for The Wager but this was available; thanks for the rec

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Hmm, already read that (in print), liked it ok, maybe I'll give it another go.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I don’t even know anything about d&d, but I’m enjoying dungeon crawler Carl a lot. It’s something that I admittedly would never have read in print. But the narration is just perfect and it’s great to listen to in the background without having to spend too much attention to it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone know if there’s any decent dedicated devices to play audiobooks on that have a) good battery & b) are affordable and maybe for extra points c) can play podcasts? Currently using a 2019 iPod Touch but the complete bastards at Apple have decided to discontinue this product line! Fuckers! Anyone got any ideas what to get next that’s not a smartphone (don’t want a smartphone)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone know if there’s any decent dedicated devices to play audiobooks on that have a) good battery & b) are affordable and maybe for extra points c) can play podcasts? Currently using a 2019 iPod Touch but the complete bastards at Apple have decided to discontinue this product line! Fuckers! Anyone got any ideas what to get next that’s not a smartphone (don’t want a smartphone)

Sony still sells a Walkman branded product; couldn't tell you if it's any good though:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-nw-a306-walkman-a-series-black/6531351.p?skuId=6531351

They also have an $800 model and a $1400 moron audiophile option. :shepspends:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 11, 2024

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
The answer is a mobile phone, just don't put a Sim card in it and don't install unnecessary apps.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

You could buy one of these 10 bucks usb stick players and download podcast with media monkey or something. You’d be the coolest kid on the block.
I appreciate not wanting a smartphone, but it’s probably cheaper than a dedicated ipod type device.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Yeah I recently upgraded computers and to my horror realized my trusty ipod 5g (with the wheel!) no longer works with it thanks to itunes being rolled into apple music. I don't use it for podcasts and books but it's the best for walking around with tunes, and I have a playlist I've built over like 20 years of using mp3s. I just prefer the user interface to that of a smart phone, it's more precise and quick.

Makes me wanna research what modern music players are like but I imagine I'll be disappointed. It'd be nice to get my book listening off my overloaded phone storage though.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Yeah I recently upgraded computers and to my horror realized my trusty ipod 5g (with the wheel!) no longer works with it thanks to itunes being rolled into apple music. I don't use it for podcasts and books but it's the best for walking around with tunes, and I have a playlist I've built over like 20 years of using mp3s. I just prefer the user interface to that of a smart phone, it's more precise and quick.
Have you considered installing Rockbox?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Armauk posted:

Have you considered installing Rockbox?

Looked into it, seemed hard. Maybe I'll look again.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

imnotinsane posted:

The answer is a mobile phone, just don't put a Sim card in it and don't install unnecessary apps.

I use my old Galaxy S3 as my MP3 player now.

Also, currently listening to Patrick Stewart's autobiography. Good stuff so far (I'm up to the end of his Bristol school days).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Many modern phone apps want you to stream audiobooks due to the whole current era of "rent everything forever and own nothing!" corporate mentality. F dat.

I've been using an iOS app forever called simply "MP3 Audiobook Player". It has all of the normal bells and whistles of like faster reading options, etc. But where it excels is that you can turn on a temporary web server off of your phone/iOS device and you can upload audiobook files to it via WiFi. Then turn off the web server feature, and it just plays the files.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

jeeves posted:

Many modern phone apps want you to stream audiobooks due to the whole current era of "rent everything forever and own nothing!" corporate mentality. F dat.

I've been using an iOS app forever called simply "MP3 Audiobook Player". It has all of the normal bells and whistles of like faster reading options, etc. But where it excels is that you can turn on a temporary web server off of your phone/iOS device and you can upload audiobook files to it via WiFi. Then turn off the web server feature, and it just plays the files.

This is the way. I've had audiobooks vanish from my Audible library, never to return, which are now impossible to find outside of :filez:. Now I archive everything and ensure it's playable offline.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Government Handjob posted:

Dungeon Crawler Carl has been mentioned a couple of times the last few pages so I'm a little late to the party, but I bought the first book two weeks ago and holy hell what a fun series this turned out to be. I usually don't listen to podcasts or audiobooks when I'm not commuting or working but I have spent several hours just chilling on my couch listening to Jeff Hayes saying the most insane poo poo and having a grand ol' time. I'm about a third of the way through book 6 now and I'm dreading having to wait for new releases.

Ugh - I plowed through all six audiobooks a couple of months ago and have been going through serious withdrawals. I guess you can join his Patreon to get access to the new chapters of book 7 as they come out, but I can't imagine that story without Jeff Hayes doing his thing. That guy is amazing.

MONGO IS APPALLED!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

This is the way. I've had audiobooks vanish from my Audible library, never to return, which are now impossible to find outside of :filez:. Now I archive everything and ensure it's playable offline.

What are you using to archive? I just noticed that a couple titles were gone from my audible library and the torrent sites I know of don't have the books I listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Just finished The Wager by David Grann, absolutely incredible audiobook. The narrator (Dion Graham) reads every sentence like it's the most loving interesting thing he's every heard and I tell you, it works. Probably helps that the writing is good. I spent the day cleaning the apartment just so I could finish it.
I'm about to start Killers of the Flower Moon, my first Grann, on audiobook. My Libby hold finally delivered!