Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

I listened to the first 7 Wheel of Time books a few years back one summer when I had a job mowing acres of grass. Made the time go quicker, and the books were read by people with great voices. Although after a certain point I could only hear about braid tugging so much before I stopped listening to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitney
May 4, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Scott Brick is also a great narrator. I could listen to his narration of In Cold Blood on endless repeat.

Our county's library system has an excellent Book on CD collection, that's where I get most of mine.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

I just listened to The Yiddish Policeman's Union
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish_Policeman%27s_Union
It's classic noir with all the characters speaking with a Yiddish accent. The narrator totally makes it work

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
This thread prompted me to get the audio book for George R.R. Martins Dreamsongs collection. I have the book in hardcover form, a complete collection. It's bloody huge, heavy and not very comfortable to read with. It was also getting a bit damaged just from general use.

Anyway I had only read about 1/4 of it and moved on to other books. But now that I have the audiobook of it I should blast through it.

It's got an awesome cast for all the different stories, like Claudia Black, Roy Dotrice etc... And GRRM himself reads some of it too.

Well worth getting :)

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
I am an audiobook addict. I use Booksfree.com. It's a Netflix-type service with decent turn-around time. I am very happy with their 4-at-a-time plan, especially now that I have successfully gotten my wife addicted to audiobooks.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Machine posted:

The worst I've come across is a Lord of the Rings CD set from before the movies came out.

It was "acted" by different people with horrible sound effects and music. It was more like a radio drama-type thing, and a lot of it was cut out. Embarrassing...

But those are amazing! This guy played Sam...

And this guy played Frodo...

I really recommend it.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 11, 2009

Pissing Art
Jun 28, 2008

Look out honey,
'cause I'm abusing ontology
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I'm currently listening to Kurt Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan. The expansive descriptive style translates pretty well onto audiobook.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
----

MindSet fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 13, 2023

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004

Yuravian posted:

What about other 'high fantasy' type audiobooks? Stuff similar to A Song of Ice and Fire or Malazan Book of the Fallen? I've got plenty of print handy but I've found myself looking for something to listen to at work recently, and the Malazan series appears to lack an audio version.

The first three books of Malazan have been made as a fan project. The quality isn't very good - as one would expect. You'd have to make up your own mind over whether or not you would find them tolerable.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
---

MindSet fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 13, 2023

Crimbob
Jan 17, 2007

The Haggis Line posted:

All 20 of the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian (excellent books, excellent reader [Patrick Tull, I think])

I've been listening to these the last few months. If you like these make sure you get the Hornblower audio books by CS Forrester. It's a tough call on which series is better.

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

Yuravian posted:

What about other 'high fantasy' type audiobooks? Stuff similar to A Song of Ice and Fire or Malazan Book of the Fallen? I've got plenty of print handy but I've found myself looking for something to listen to at work recently, and the Malazan series appears to lack an audio version.

There exist audio recordings of the three Lyonesse books: Suldrun's Garden, The Green Pearl, and Madouc. The problem is that they are very difficult to obtain legally; I have searched extensively and haven't ben able to find a store that sells them.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time
Frank Muller's reading of The Dark Tower is excellent. He does great accents.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The recordings of the His Dark Materials books by Philip Pullman and a full cast are uniformly excellent.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

All of Anthony Bourdain's audiobooks are fantastic. He reads them and it's exactly like listening to his show with more coke and swearing.

I finished The God Delusion last week and I really think Dawkin's smarmy tone ruined it for me.

So far I'm very happy with the reading on Cormac McCarthy's The Road. The narrator's voice perfectly suits the father and the book's overall bleak tone.

Has anyone given the version of Dune on Audible a shot? It looks like a ton of effort was put into it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Flying Milton posted:

I finished The God Delusion last week and I really think Dawkin's smarmy tone ruined it for me.
Seriously, what is up with his voice? I've watched documentaries with him where he makes perfectly reasonable and balanced statements but he still sounds smug.

I haven't heard it myself but I have heard very good things about the audio for Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way.

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
On the Dawkins tip...

Christopher Hitchens reading his own God is not Great is magnificent because you can tell he is drunk in some of it, you can hear him shuffling papers, he'll pause to catch himself in one of those drunken half-burps/half-hiccups, and his delivery is wonderful. You can visualize him sitting in a booth with big headphones and a glass of neat scotch.

[edit]

Also, David Sedaris audiobooks are treasures.

groverat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 12, 2009

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Hedrigall posted:

It definitely wasn't this. This sounds awesome. The one I have is lame.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

The :smug: tone is the best part, imo. I didn't really care for the woman (isn't it his wife or something?) reading though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Machine posted:

It definitely wasn't this. This sounds awesome. The one I have is lame.

Well it must be one of these:

wikipedia posted:

1955-1956 radio play

In 1955 and 1956, the BBC broadcast The Lord of the Rings, a 12-part radio adaptation of the story. In The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien Tolkien disparages the radio dramatization of The Lord of the Rings, referring to the portrayal of Tom Bombadil as "dreadful" and complaining bitterly about several other aspects of the dramatization. No recording of the 1956 series is known to exist.

WBAI radio adaptation

In the early 1960s radio station WBAI-FM, New York, broadcast a short adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, with music. This version, which had not been authorized by Tolkien, was later suppressed by his legal representatives.

1979 radio play

A 1979 dramatization of The Lord of the Rings was broadcast in the USA and subsequently issued on tape and CD. No cast or credits appear on the audio packaging. Each of the actors was apparently recorded separately and then the various parts were edited together. Thus, unlike a BBC recording session where the actors are recorded together, none of the cast are actually interacting with each other; the performances suffer badly as a result.

1981 radio play

In 1981 the BBC broadcast The Lord of the Rings, a new, ambitious dramatization in 26 half-hour instalments. It starred Ian Holm as Frodo Baggins, the protagonist; he would play Bilbo Baggins, his character's cousin/uncle, in the live-action trilogy.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Aventine posted:

Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way.

This is amazing :) Also good:

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (the novel, not the radio series)
2001 by Arthur C Clarke
World War Z by Max Brooks

Any other recommendations?

Hadman
Jan 21, 2009
I love to try Proust's In Search Of Lost Time series. Does anyone know if the John Rowe version is any good?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Layer Cake is great on audiobook just to hear all the British slang said aloud, the narrator swears excellently as well.

While it's not something you'd want to listen to while running or driving, the audiobook of Stephen King's The Mist is done like a radio play and they use "3D Sound" to excellent effect.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I recently picked up The Complete Works of David Sedaris 20 cd box set.

Most of it is read by the author and his sister Amy Sedaris. The live tracks are the best though. I have read each one of his books individually but hearing them read by the offer with his inflection and tone is amazing.

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus

Pissing Art posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I'm currently listening to Kurt Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan. The expansive descriptive style translates pretty well onto audiobook.

I enjoyed listening to Slaughterhouse 5 read by Ethan Hawke.

I'll 2nd Lolita read by Jeremy Irons as well as anything David Sedaris- I think that Sedaris is better in audio than just reading- of course I was introduced to him by This American Life so I may be biassed.

Znyp
Jan 23, 2003

Has anyone given the version of Dune on Audible a shot? It looks like a ton of effort was put into it.

It's very good. I had only seen the movies when I first heard the audiobook and it's fantastic. It's a good 20 hours and I've had to go through it twice just because I loved it so much.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Speaking of Amy Sedaris, you should check out Wigfield. Sedaris, Stephen Colbert and Paul Dinello read a cast of dozens of characters and it is definitely one of the best audiobooks I've listened to, both in terms of humor and the quality of production.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Throwing out some love for The Road by Cormac McCarthy on audiobook. I picked up the paperback a few months back and just could not get into it. I gave the audiobook a go and the voice acting is great, perfect for the book. I did not find the book to be as 'epic' as it was made out to be but definitely a very enjoyable read thanks to the reading.

F^2
Mar 16, 2001
ASK ME ABOUT HOW TO GET BANNED AFTER TEN YEARS OF ATTENTION WHORING ON THESE FORUMS; ALSO A TREMENDOUS WORTHLESS FAGGOT REGARDLESS DUE TO OVERWHELMING LEVELS IN THE CUNT SECTOR
Jeremy Irons reading Lolita.

Holy poo poo that was a religious experience. The movie he was in was.... terrible, but that man's voice works perfectly for a book like that.

I have a huge hardon for Sarah Vowell's voice for some reason so anything she reads is great. Assassination Vacation (featuring Jon Stewart) and the Wordy Shipmates come to mind.

Woofwoof
Jun 19, 2003

I have an hour commute to work each way, so itunes, audiobooks and I have been friends for a few years now.

My favorites would have to be the first 3 in the series of ASOIF, read by Roy Dotrice. My least favorite would have to be the 4th book, read by someone doing a bad impression of William Shatner.

Duma Key was good, as was The Road. (2 readers for The Road. I listened to one narrated by Tom Stechschulte)

Would also recommend I am Legend, and if you're into that sort of thing, The Power of Now and A New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle.

Also, for those of you on a budget, there are plenty of free audiobooks out there that have taken on the moniker, "podiobooks" that range from really, really bad, to kind of bad but not so much because they're free.

If that interests you, check out Infected, by Scott Sigler.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Woofwoof posted:

Also, for those of you on a budget, there are plenty of free audiobooks out there that have taken on the moniker, "podiobooks" that range from really, really bad, to kind of bad but not so much because they're free.

Don't forget libraries. Most libraries have a huge collection of books on CD/cassette but depending on your area some of them also let you download audiobooks over the internet, in the form of DRM-protected MP3s that stop working after a month or so.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm currently listening to 'The Strain' by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, read by Ron "loving" Perlman. His voice is well suited to it.

Also listening to 'Hearts In Atlantis' at the moment. I can't tell if it's a good book or not because William Hurt is doing such a good job at the moment.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
As already mentioned, Lolita read by Jeremy Irons is one of the best audio books out there. His voice is just a perfect fit for the character.

Also Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way read by, who else, Bruce Campbell is very entertaining and well read.

Ender's Game read by a team called Audio Renaissance is stellar. Multiple voice actors, all high quality. Highly recommended. Really brought it all to life for me.

I can also recommend I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream read by the writer himself, Harlan Ellison. Very dynamic, very powerful. It's always great to hear a story exactly as the writer himself envisioned it.

I actually had a tough time getting through the World War Z audio book, despite the big names attached to the project. Some of the accents sounded like caricatures and it really began to grate because of this.

edit: Forgot one biggie: The Hot Zone read by Howard McGillin is also very good. Read very clinically, just as a book such as this demands. Just great overall.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 19, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Hedrigall posted:

Well it must be one of these:
I actually have an affinity for the Mind's Eye version (the 1979 one). I grew up with it. While I wasn't borne until a year after it broadcast, my dad recorded each of the episodes on cassette. As soon as I was old enough to understand what was going on, I listened them over and over until the tapes wore out. For the longest time I kept getting confused as to why the BBC version wasn't the version I remembered. Now I know why.

As far as other audio books, favorites of mine include Alfred Lansing's Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, Stephen King's The Talisman, Krakauer's Into Thin Air*. And I'll also chime in in highly recommending Lolita. Jeremy Irons' rendition is absolutely indescribable in how good it is.

e: World War Z is indeed a great audiobook, as many have said. But if you haven't read the book, make you you do that as well, as the only recording that was made is abridged and it leaves out some really great stories. So as far as that one is concerned, I say it's well worth your time and money to own both.

And I know a lot of people hated Stephen King's Cell, but I loved it. And I think the audiobook version is really good as well. And believe it or not, Anne Heche does a fantastic job with The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, even if I feel like she's ever-so-slightly off when singing the Giant Glass jingle.

*It seems like the only audio version of this is the one read by Krakauer himself. And it's good. And hearing the author read his own experience is pretty goddamn powerful. However, there was a previous version that's now out of print I believe, where the guy reading it not only reads the footnotes (something the Krakauer version, although still unabridged, curiously omits), but he also does all the accents. So if you can find it anywhere-- a)let me know because I want it, and b)it's well worth your money.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 21, 2009

Cruo
Jun 22, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Kleptomaniac posted:

The first 4 books of the Dark Tower series are read by Frank Miller, and are pretty incredible. He was by far my favorite reader. George Guidall who read the other 3 after Miller's bike accident is also talented but Miller was far better with giving every character its own distinct voice.

Oh man, I'm about finished with book 3 and he does such an amazing job, I just figured he did the whole series. Is there a place to listen to samples from Guidall reading Dark Tower? I don't know if I can handle hearing someone else as Roland.

Cruo fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 20, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Cruo posted:

Oh man, I'm about finished with book 3 and he does such an amazing job, I just figured he did the whole series. Is there a place to listen to samples from Guidall reading Dark Tower? I don't know if I can handle hearing someone else as Roland.
He reads The Talisman, too, and does an amazing job. Unfortunately for us, he was in a very bad accident in 2001, resulting in severe brain damage. Then he died in 2008. No more Frank Muller for us. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Muller

Tiborax
Jun 15, 2008

Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?
This year, my roommate did the entirety of War and Peace on audiobook, read by some famous British voice whose name currently escapes me.

He also did The Odyssey, which was read by Ian McKellen. It was a treat when he had that pumping through his speakers.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Inspired by this thread to take another stab at non-fiction audiobooks I downloaded Rapt: Attention and the Focused Life by Winifred Gallagher from iTunes. I generally have trouble tracking the nonfiction on audio because I feel like I want to highlight important lines or make notes next to some of the points the author makes but this one has been highly enjoyable. Aside from very interesting subject matter and engaging writing style Laural Merlington does a really good job with the reading. She has a nice voice and pacing that makes it easy to follow along.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Lord Jigger posted:

I listened to the first 7 Wheel of Time books a few years back one summer when I had a job mowing acres of grass. Made the time go quicker, and the books were read by people with great voices. Although after a certain point I could only hear about braid tugging so much before I stopped listening to them.

It was Michael Kramer. I liked him so much I am buying up other audio books he did. I just finish book 1 & 2 of Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and Michael does a really good job on those also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I'm going on a trip tomorrow. Unfortunately my local bookstores did not have Snow Crash, Alas Babylon, Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way, or Jennifer Government. So I am down to either World War Z or I am America and so can you, or anything else anyone might like to recommend.