Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I'm really surprised how much fun I'm having listening to Dungeon Crawler Carl. I'm at book 4 and I think because of the pace at which I'm devouring it, it may be loosing a bit novelty. Still, I'm really happy with it being the first fiction audiobook series for me. I'm finding it very entertaining for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DCC is great (even though my brain always just equates those letters with Dungeon Crawl Classics) and the books definitely get better with each passing one. Book 5 is amazing, and I’ve heard 6 is even better— even if I am waiting for the audiobook before I dive into it.

I hear the books are such a hit that they’re re-recording the first book to fix some of the voices that were not really as high quality as the later books.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

yaffle posted:

Just found this on youtube, it's an unfortunately abridged recording of David Attenborough reading Tarka the Otter, well worth the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSuGxLyGh-o

What a find!

I've been working through all the Stephen King books and am happy to report that James Franco reads The Dead Zone. Very, very good.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

jeeves posted:

DCC is great (even though my brain always just equates those letters with Dungeon Crawl Classics) and the books definitely get better with each passing one. Book 5 is amazing, and I’ve heard 6 is even better— even if I am waiting for the audiobook before I dive into it.

I hear the books are such a hit that they’re re-recording the first book to fix some of the voices that were not really as high quality as the later books.
This is probably my next audiobook series to go through. Jeff Hayes, Annie Ellicott and the other guys from Soundbooth Theater are really good at what they do And they certainly go the extra mile, when it comes to effects and stuff. Also, I looked at the narrators for DCC book 6 and apparently they also got Travis Baldree and Patrick Warburton for that one.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 28, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

cant cook creole bream posted:

This is probably my next audiobook series to go through. Jeff Hayes, Annie Ellicott and the other guys from Soundbooth Theater are really good at what they do And they certainly go the extra mile, when it comes to effects and stuff. Also, I looked at the narrators for DCC book 6 and apparently they also got Travis Baldree and Patrick Warburton for that one.

DCC is probably the best series that I've binged through in the last year, and Jeff Hayes' excellent narration definitely knocks it out of the ballpark. Especially once he really gets used to how amazingly great the cat sounds.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

kaaj posted:

I'm really surprised how much fun I'm having listening to Dungeon Crawler Carl. I'm at book 4 and I think because of the pace at which I'm devouring it, it may be loosing a bit novelty. Still, I'm really happy with it being the first fiction audiobook series for me. I'm finding it very entertaining for now.

Dungeon Crawler Carl 6 just came out as an audio book with Patrick Warburton doing a cameo, probably as a joke about how close to Warburton's voice Carl's is. I managed to squeeze two more free credits out of audible for a free trial just to get it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
He plays Carl’s lovely dad so it is pretty well cast.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

UwUnabomber posted:

Dungeon Crawler Carl 6 just came out as an audio book with Patrick Warburton doing a cameo, probably as a joke about how close to Warburton's voice Carl's is. I managed to squeeze two more free credits out of audible for a free trial just to get it.

I’m about 8 hours in, really enjoying it so far.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I have about 8 hours left. I figured it was either gonna be that or some kind of Carl evil twin.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I went through all of Dungeon Crawler Carl in a month. That is one good audio book series!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

I went through all of Dungeon Crawler Carl in a month. That is one good audio book series!

Nothing to add other than the readings are fantastic, and the books are so much fun.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

The DCC audio drama series they're working on sounds nice but I can't picture listening to it having listened to the whole book series already.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
That’s the problem I have with audio dramas- I get used how to the audio book sounds and it’s hard to get into them.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Gertrude Perkins posted:

For a few days I've been trying to find places online to purchase the Harlan Ellison short story collections that he narrated himself. A couple of stories are posted on YouTube (like I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream) but I can't seem to find the Voice From The Edge collections anywhere? Any help appreciated.

Bumping this because I have really been hankerin' for more Ellison narration!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I recently listened to Stephen King’s On Writing and it instantly became one of my favorite books of all time. His narration is wonderful. It’s like having a cozy, nerdy and creepy old uncle waxing on about his life and craft in the best way. If you’re a creative type and it resonates with you how it did with me it’ll be an even more special experience.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

henpod posted:

Nothing to add other than the readings are fantastic, and the books are so much fun.

It's really impressive to see a video of Jeff Hayes speaking. He's able to change his voice like that on the fly.
I assumed that he would need quite a few takes, but it seems like, unless he occasionally breaks from laughter, he can nail it on a first read. It's always nice to see people who ended in their perfect profession.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Anybody ever had an Audible title you've purchased with a credit that's locked in the app so you can't download or play it? I know this happens with Audible Plus titles when they're removed from the Plus catalog, but I've never had this happen to titles I've purchased with a credit, and as of now there's like 5 books I've paid for that are locked.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Anybody ever had an Audible title you've purchased with a credit that's locked in the app so you can't download or play it? I know this happens with Audible Plus titles when they're removed from the Plus catalog, but I've never had this happen to titles I've purchased with a credit, and as of now there's like 5 books I've paid for that are locked.

There's a glitch where that's happening to a lot of people, but logging out and back into your account fixes it for most, or logging into the browser instead of the app.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I thought that was an issue with foreigners having a .com account merged with their country's account, like .ca for Canada, cause my app shows two copies of everything

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I simply don't pay for a goddamned thing.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 22, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

pandy fackler posted:

Listening to Dungeon Crawler Carl and is it just me or does Jeff Hayes as Carl sound exactly like H. Jon Benjamin??

Nah absolutely not. He's (sort of intentionally) channelling Patrick Warburton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are there any good audiobook stories in the vein of something like Carl but actually finished?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
"Actually finished" is kind of a hard bar, since those seem to be going on forever.
But if you enjoyed the ridiculousness in Carl's adventure, I'd suggest the "This trilogy is broken." quadrillogy.

Or since it was recently completed, the Unsouled series.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Quadramind posted:

What a find!

I've been working through all the Stephen King books and am happy to report that James Franco reads The Dead Zone. Very, very good.

Wish Steven Weber did more narrations (besides crime thillers and nonfiction). His reading of It was perfect.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Catching greenlights every which way

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Listening to Garth Marenghi (Matthew Holness) read TerrorTome and having a great time. If you liked Darkplace don't miss this.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Anyone know or can point me to specifics of Spotify’s audiobook service for premium accounts?

This morning after about 20 minutes of listening I was hit a message that I’d hit my time limit, which was pretty confusing considering it’s the first of the month and Spotify advertises 15 hours per month. The notification also said my time would refresh in 11 days, which seems arbitrary unless this is based on billing cycles and not an actual calendar. I’ve never had an issue before and Spotify’s own website is, of course, no help.

Edit: Looks like it’s based on your account’s billing cycle. Why that couldn’t have been a footnote in Spotify’s FAQ is stupefying.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 1, 2024

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Hardawn posted:

Now I'm curious to hear the Frank Muller version but this Moby Dick narrated by William Hootkins is really good as well.

This is like a page ago but the Hootkins Moby Dick rules. It can bump people because he delivers it very broad but he has a great sense of the humor in the book has perfect delivery for a lot of the gags. If you are looking for a reading that surfaces how funny Moby Dick can be I really strongly recommended it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone got any hot recs on how to organise third party non-Audible audiobooks on an iPod Touch? Like any good iOS apps I can drag and drop stuff over to? Bonus points if it has a Windows application that works smoothly with it. Thanks!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i don’t know if it works on a touch but i use bound audiobook player. it has uploads for dropbox and also a little webserver that you start and point your browser to to drag and drop stuff over and works great.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Bhodi posted:

i don’t know if it works on a touch but i use bound audiobook player. it has uploads for dropbox and also a little webserver that you start and point your browser to to drag and drop stuff over and works great.

Nice! Works great, thank ye!

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Whatre my audible heads copping with your monthly credit. I copped Arete to unlock my heroic potential because it is like a $40 piece in stores lol

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
just listened to alexandur dumb-rear end' "the black tulip" somewhat at random, was a fun false-imprisonment drama in classic dumas style but with the added twist of tulip mania. this month i got john steinbeck "travels with charlie" as an old man in the 60s revisiting all the places he wrote about in the past.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I’m doing The Library at Mount Char right now and it’s rad. It’s like American Gods if American Gods were a completely different story.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lordshmee posted:

I’m doing The Library at Mount Char right now and it’s rad. It’s like American Gods if American Gods were a completely different story.

Someone recommended this book years ago in this thread and I just want to agree that it is very good.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

my kinda ape posted:

Someone recommended this book years ago in this thread and I just want to agree that it is very good.

Apparently you can return books so I returned arete cuz it was junk. What to cop!?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thinking a lot more about the awesome video game Red Dead Redemption 2, figured I should finally pick up a couple history books on the plight of Native Americans. I have the "general history" probably most every American knows but I never really read up on anything.

But my eyesight sucks so I prefer audiobooks if at all possible. If anyone has any suggestions of audiobooks on Native American history,
I would welcome them.

Right now I got
Unworthy Republic
Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That Dark and Bloody River (novel)
The Pioneers (kind of slow and meandering but informative)
The Apache Wars
There’s also a good biography of Daniel Boone, which has quite a lot to do with Indian wars and settlement politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States