Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

NikkolasKing posted:

Thinking a lot more about the awesome video game Red Dead Redemption 2, figured I should finally pick up a couple history books on the plight of Native Americans. I have the "general history" probably most every American knows but I never really read up on anything.

But my eyesight sucks so I prefer audiobooks if at all possible. If anyone has any suggestions of audiobooks on Native American history,
I would welcome them.

Right now I got
Unworthy Republic
Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee

It’s a specific situation but the book Killers of the Flower Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I finished all the Expanse books on Audible and first two books of Three Body Problem. Really enjoyed all of that. Dark Forest had more than one thought-provoking idea in it. I want to finish Death’s End now, though I must say it drags a little in the first few hours. Hope it will be worth it. Stil, Three Body Problem trilogy is worth listening to for Dark Forest alone.

I’ve got Blindsight recommended to me next - and all the recommendations from this thread. Keep them coming!

kaaj fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 18, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

kaaj posted:

I finished everything on Audible for Expanse

How did you like the entries after book five? I'm only up to Nemesis Games, and I'm not sure about continuing with the rest of them.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Mister Facetious posted:

How did you like the entries after book five? I'm only up to Nemesis Games, and I'm not sure about continuing with the rest of them.

I had a midpoint crisis but ultimately I think I got attached to characters and just wanted to hear more of their adventures. Really liked the setting too. I’m trying to remember which part of conflict happened in book 5 and which in 6 but I did really enjoy the story after that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
4-5-6 is the low point of that series.

When #6 was first released I totally thought that it was the end of the line the whole thing and was pretty annoyed. Thankfully the next third of the series takes such wild swings that it was worth it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

kaaj posted:

I had a midpoint crisis but ultimately I think I got attached to characters and just wanted to hear more of their adventures. Really liked the setting too. I’m trying to remember which part of conflict happened in book 5 and which in 6 but I did really enjoy the story after that.

Book 5 was earth getting 9/11'd. I don't remember the rest of it

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

jeeves posted:

4-5-6 is the low point of that series.

When #6 was first released I totally thought that it was the end of the line the whole thing and was pretty annoyed. Thankfully the next third of the series takes such wild swings that it was worth it.

I didn’t watch the TV series but I believe that season 6 of it goes up to the end of book 6? Which may be an option to go through the slog. As you said, story in the last three books is worth it.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Book 8 is my favorite in the expanse, definitely worth it getting to the last arc in the story.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

kaaj posted:

I want to finish Death’s End now, though I must say it drags a little in the first few hours. Hope it will be worth it.
Your patience will pay off.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

kaaj posted:

I didn’t watch the TV series but I believe that season 6 of it goes up to the end of book 6? Which may be an option to go through the slog. As you said, story in the last three books is worth it.

Tv series def goes up to the end of season 6, but they made a completely baffling decision to adapt one of the short stories into like the first 10 minutes of each of season 6’s very brief 6 episodes. To like set what happens in season 7… which of course never got filmed.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Thanks to Audible having a 3 month free trial, I’ve gotten into listening to audiobooks after a loooong hiatus. I’m not sure what to spend my first of three credits on so far but I’m listening to Between Two Fires. Excellent book, and really good narrator too! Highly recommend it so far if you like sort of grounded historical fantasy (the part with the fight against the river monster with the hand on its tail was genuinely chilling)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I tried listening to Expanse and got to the book where there is a completely hackneyed "we're going to FRAME the PROTAGONIST so EVERYONE HATES HIM" plotline and dropped it right there. Maybe it gets better but I wasn't in the mood to deal with a book of everyone being a moron and believing an obvious lie for cheap drama.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Thanks to Audible having a 3 month free trial, I’ve gotten into listening to audiobooks after a loooong hiatus. I’m not sure what to spend my first of three credits on so far but I’m listening to Between Two Fires. Excellent book, and really good narrator too! Highly recommend it so far if you like sort of grounded historical fantasy (the part with the fight against the river monster with the hand on its tail was genuinely chilling)

I still think about this book a lot. The tone hit just right for me, it's got the pulpiness of Evil Dead or maybe Diablo 1 but also lots of genuine horror and awe. Hopefully someday I can find another dark fantasy novel in a similar vein.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
The beware of chicken audio books are a ton of fun just finished listening to 1-3. Which I did after finishing the Cradle audio books and Travis Baldree can read me a book anytime.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Yeah, after Cradle I've been listening to some pretty terrible stuff just because it was narrated by Travis Baldree. Apparently he has his own series that he's written, anyone know if it's any good?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Koryk posted:

Yeah, after Cradle I've been listening to some pretty terrible stuff just because it was narrated by Travis Baldree. Apparently he has his own series that he's written, anyone know if it's any good?

Yeah. It's not exactly high stakes, but it's quite cozy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Richard Poe is the king of audiobook narration. Frank Mueller is a high ranking member of the King's Court.

Who else is there?

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

George Guidall is up there

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

escape artist posted:

Frank Mueller is a high ranking member of the King's Court.

Who else is there?

I'm gonna say it, I prefer Simon Vance's version of Interview with the Vampire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo6T0J1wxFA

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Frank Muleler is in my top-five favorites list, but I can’t imagine him doing a better job with that series than Simon Vance. He was really good.

I just finished The Tender Bar and loved it. I can’t imagine the print book being as entertaining. The narrator had voices for all the main characters, and there were a lot of them, and all good.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

escape artist posted:

Richard Poe is the king of audiobook narration. Frank Mueller is a high ranking member of the King's Court.

Who else is there?

Michael Kramer for sure.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

escape artist posted:

Who else is there?

Bill Homewood is up there for me. Love it whenever he busts out a West Country accent for an appropriate character. Mueller is untouchable though, RIP

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This is somehow the first I've heard of Richard Poe, and it led me to listen to the first few minutes of 48 Laws of Power. Great narrator, but holy poo poo that book is like The Sociopath's Handbook.

I admit to a soft spot for Stefan Rudnicki, since the full-cast version of Ender's Game he was in was one of my first audiobooks.

You know who else kicks rear end as a narrator? Tim Curry. He rules in Audible's versions of Dracula and Journey to the Center of the Earth, and I quite enjoyed his take on Sabriel.

Speaking of Draculas, Christopher Lee did only a very few audiobooks, but one of those is Children of Hurin, and he is perfect for it. It's an absolute goddamn shame he was never commissioned to do The Silmarillion. Still, Martin Shaw's take The Silmarillion is fantastic - I greatly prefer it to Andy Serkis's version. Lee actually did a fair number of audiobooks back in the day, but many of them haven't been re-released, and you have to go on YouTube to find them - he read a ton of Poe, and it's all quite good.

Rounding out the Tolkien narrators, Rob Inglis does he my preferred versions of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. He sounds like your grandfather reading those stories to you at bedtime, and it's perfect.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The stuff he does may not be as highbrow, but I absolutely love Jeff Hays doing narrations. That guy is insane.
https://www.tiktok.com/@mattdinniman/video/7253325710570409259

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Agreed on Guidall and Kramer too

Kestral posted:

This is somehow the first I've heard of Richard Poe, and it led me to listen to the first few minutes of 48 Laws of Power. Great narrator, but holy poo poo that book is like The Sociopath's Handbook.

It's the most read book in jail, and it is banned in some jails. I got through a quarter of it. It was pretty interesting with the historical tidbits but I think the advice is basically what you said, how to be a sociopath.

Check out Poe's version of Blood Meridian. I think it's the best audiobook ever recorded. He does such an incredible job with it, sometimes I just flip on random chapters.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

cant cook creole bream posted:

The stuff he does may not be as highbrow, but I absolutely love Jeff Hays doing narrations. That guy is insane.
https://www.tiktok.com/@mattdinniman/video/7253325710570409259

I only know Jeff Hays from narrating Dungeon Crawler Carl books and his performance there easily put him as my personal Top 1 narrators.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Is there a significant difference between the ensemble version of dune on audible vs the older one narrator version? A lot of times I've found the ensemble version is not as good as the single reader. Just wanted to know if anyone had opinions on the recording/acting quality.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Artonos posted:

Is there a significant difference between the ensemble version of dune on audible vs the older one narrator version? A lot of times I've found the ensemble version is not as good as the single reader. Just wanted to know if anyone had opinions on the recording/acting quality.

I haven't listened to both but I thought the ensemble one was good.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I thought the ensemble version was really, really well done. It has different voices for most characters, a little music and some sound effects, but they’re all good and not distracting. It helped me keep everything straight and listen to all 9,000,000 hours while building a staircase in my house

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

poisonpill posted:

I thought the ensemble version was really, really well done. It has different voices for most characters, a little music and some sound effects, but they’re all good and not distracting. It helped me keep everything straight and listen to all 9,000,000 hours while building a staircase in my house

Sounds perfect for when I'm bottle feeding my infant in the middle of the night then!

Thanks for both the quick responses. I recently watched the first movie again and it made me remember how much I liked the books so long ago.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I have started avoiding ensemble versions of audiobooks in general because the sound effects are often so loud and distracting, taking away from the narrative rather than adding to it (haven't listened to the Dune one, just a general comment).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The dune one from the mid 2000’s is notorious for entire chapters missing from the full-cast readings and it just defaults back to the original single narrator.

It’s like, people are gonna buy dis poo poo and we have the sole rights to make an audiobook so eh why bother with the effort to pay a cast to do the whole thing amirite?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arthur Morgan Is Your American History Teacher in New Red Dead Redemption Audiobook

quote:

Roger Clark, who plays Arthur Morgan in Red Dead Redemption 2, is set to narrate an audiobook that looks at American history through the lens of Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption games.

Clark narrates historian Tore Olsson’s ‘Red Dead’s History’ in character as Arthur Morgan, protagonist of Rockstar’s critically acclaimed open-world epic.

Red Dead’s History explores the “wildly dramatic and gritty world” of America from 1870 to 1920. 2010’s Red Dead Redemption and its prequel, 2018’s Red Dead Redemption 2, set in 1911 and 1899 respectively, were praised for their authentic portrayal of life during the decline of the American frontier. In the book, Olsson digs into the detail presented in the games and adds context from real-world American history.

Here’s the official blurb:

“Weaving together the fictional characters and plot of the Red Dead Redemption games with real-life historical vignettes, Olsson reveals that the action-packed violence of the Red Dead universe isn’t just spawned from Hollywood westerns but rooted in real sociopolitical issues from turn-of-the-century America.”

IGN spoke with college history professor Tore Olsson, who as well as writing books teaches the world’s first Red Dead Redemption history class at the University of Tennessee, to discuss the work. (Check out the interview in full for a fascinating look into the Red Dead Redemption games and their historical "thoughtfulness", as Olsson puts it.) Here's a snippet:

Audible Pre-Order. I'm doing it right now.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Red-Deads-History-Audiobook/B0CKM6FB83

Sorry I'm kinda obsessed with this game and this is an entirely unexpected blessing. I'm shouting to the rooftops for any other fans.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

NikkolasKing posted:

Arthur Morgan Is Your American History Teacher in New Red Dead Redemption Audiobook

Audible Pre-Order. I'm doing it right now.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Red-Deads-History-Audiobook/B0CKM6FB83

Sorry I'm kinda obsessed with this game and this is an entirely unexpected blessing. I'm shouting to the rooftops for any other fans.

Sure, as Arthur would say, that sounds pretty cool.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Dungeon Crawler Carl has been mentioned a couple of times the last few pages so I'm a little late to the party, but I bought the first book two weeks ago and holy hell what a fun series this turned out to be. I usually don't listen to podcasts or audiobooks when I'm not commuting or working but I have spent several hours just chilling on my couch listening to Jeff Hayes saying the most insane poo poo and having a grand ol' time. I'm about a third of the way through book 6 now and I'm dreading having to wait for new releases.

Has anyone read any of Matt Dinniman's other stuff?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It's not as good at all, don't bother. In fact the Kajiu Surgeon one is apparently incredibly gross for no good reason.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I liked Kaiju Battlefield Surgeon. :shrug: It is gross as hell though.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I looked it up and it made me laugh because the author has apparently added a blurb telling their fans to please skip the book.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

CrazySalamander posted:

I looked it up and it made me laugh because the author has apparently added a blurb telling their fans to please skip the book.

I don't remember that, but I do remember that the dedication begs his mother to skip reading the series. I get the impression that Matt Dinniman is one of those Gen Xers who got brainpoisoned by goupy horror movies and that Kaiju Battlefield Surgeon was his way of channeling it into something productive. Seemed like a good book, but way too gross for me to finish.

I've heard that Dinniman's Dominion of Blades is supposed to be decent, although I've not read it mself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I listened to some of Kaiju Battlefield Surgeon around December. It wasn't really for me. At some point someone describes a horrific ritual to the main character. He's just stunned in silence before exclaiming what kind of sick gently caress would come up with something like that. And yeah, I agree.