Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

jassa posted:

On a related note, I'm thinking of signing up for Audible. I'm Australian though, and I'm not sure how our pricing and range of titles compares. Are there any international goons here who can shed light on how good Audible are outside the US?

I signed up with Audible and I am from Australia. I decided to end my subscription though over the distribution rights - all the awesome things available to American customers aren't available to us :(

Pricing wasn't really something I considered, I just brought my books with monthly credits.

I would probably sign up again if I had access to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I used to think that the longer the better but now I feel a lot of stories could benefit from being abridged, case in point the strand. There is no way that is going to be an enjoying listen for 47 hours. That's just mind boggling

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Just finished listening to Robert Harris' The Fear Index read by Christian Rodska. Think I have slowly become a fan of Robert Harris, I don't really seek out him or in the past I haven't realised I have read other books by him but I feel he writes compelling stories with interesting plots.

The premise was simple the story was about an algorithm or artificial learning machine that was designed for a hedge fund to track and trade according to a perceived fear in the market. The story focuses on the creator Alex and the mystery that surrounds an attempted murder on him self and his descent into fear, paranoia and the effects it has on his work and personal life.

The narrator does a good job of bringing the story to life I would highly recommend you give it a listen

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Over the last week I have been listening to The Lies of Locke Lamora which was narrated by Michael Page and I just have to say it is one of the best audiobooks I have listened too. Page does a really great job of narrating all the different characters and conveys the wit and humour of the book fantastically.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Listened to some interesting stuff lately, thought I would share them with you guys.

BZRK by Michael Grant
Really enjoyed this one, its YA fiction but the premise was so interesting it hooked me anyway. The book is about two competing groups who are fighting on a new frontier, inside the meat. In the near future nano technology has become the new weapon of choice allowing for small nano bots to enter the human body and make subtle changes and exert influence over the individual. The world Grant builds is fascinating showing you what it would be like to see and feel everything if you were the size of a dust mite.

Tales of Easie Damasco by David Tallerman
A below average thief is forced to join an invading army after he is caught stealing and gets the honour of being cannon fodder. Some how Easie manages to survive the battle and before he ends up in the front line again he manages to steal a giant and escape from camp. Unfortunately for him the leader of the invading army doesn't give up his possessions so easily and what begins is a chase across the land as he attempts to catch up with Easie. Along the way Easie unwittingly gets caught up in a last ditch effort to stop the invading army when all he wants is to go back to thieving and leave behind all his troubles.

Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs: She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse by Paul Carter
A whole bunch of stories from Carter about his time spent working on oil rigs all over the world. He narrates the story himself and does a great job sharing his adventures. Very humorous looking forward to listening to some of the other books he has done. My favourite story has got to be about the time he had a pet monkey in Borneo although it was a shame how it ended. If you like reading Ask/Tell threads you'd enjoy it.

Influx by Daniel Suarez
The premise sounded great but I am still undecided on this one. What if we were actually more technologically advanced than we thought? A secret government organisation has been secretly operating for the last 60 years controlling the flow of technology so that there was no social disruption in the world and slowly releasing technology to ensure everything ran smoothly. The book's villain is pretty over the top and spends a lot of time making you hate him and the organisation while pushing you to like the protagonist. Except the protagonist is a sperg-goon overlord who is the a master in smug self satisfaction. I listened to the whole thing so it wasn't too bad, doubt I would ever read it again though.

Reality 36 and Omega Point by Guy Haley
A detective/mystery set in the future with the protagonists being an artificial intelligence and a cyborg who are chasing the disappearance of the worlds foremost scientist who pioneered the rights of AIs to be classed as beings who have the right to self determination and should not be slaves to human kind. The book is set between the real world and the virtual realms that were originally designed as a game system but when AIs were granted rights the virtual realms where declared to be protected worlds free of human influence. The book is narrated by Michael Page who does a fantastic job.

Happy Hour in Hell & Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams.
I ended up listening to the second book in the series first by mistake but it was largely self contained so it didn't really matter. Great series so far, it reminds me a lot of the Dresden files. Doloriel, better known as Bobby Dollar is an Angel and an advocate for people who have just died. He is the person that speaks on your behalf at judgement to ensure you end up in Heaven not in Hell. Too bad when Bobby gets his next case the soul he has come to defend can't be found.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
The other books are more of the same, nothing really new but enjoyable.

If you liked that you might like "We are legion" by Dennis E Taylor.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
It's pretty much the same deal with collapsing empire. Also the book itself was a bit of let down as it presents itself as this massive space empire with machinations, conspiracies and a huge revelation but its all so paper thin. Everything is so unnecessarily convoluted so the whole time I kept getting pulled out of the story thinking why would anyone make these decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
The answer is a mobile phone, just don't put a Sim card in it and don't install unnecessary apps.